Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motion Sound KP700X - The New Amp

(Disclaimer: I am an endorsing artist for Motion Sound amps. Please take my comments with how ever much salt you feel comfortable with.)

A couple weeks ago, I got a call from Jeff at Motion Sound. "Want to test drive our new amp?"

"New amp?? Of course."

A few days later, this Goliath showed up at my door. This is the new Motion Sound KP700x. It has two 10" speakers, two 12" speakers and two tweeters. It is, essentially, a KP610 on top of two 12" speakers that act as the built in subs.

In the regular KP series, the KP610 and KP612 amps are 500 watts. Each of these amps have an extra 250 is reserved for a passive sub that you connect via a speak-on cable if you need even more bass. The KP700x uses this extra 250 for the two 12" speakers.

The short review...this is the best sounding and loudest keyboard amp I have ever heard. I have run organ, Rhodes and piano through it. They all sound fantastic and the full Motion Sound stereo separation is present as always. And there is SO MUCH BASS! I have not been able to test it on a gig because...well...there are no gigs. But I have no doubt that this thing will crush live.

Is it big and heavy? Yes. It is about 70 lbs. However, there is going to be an attachable dolly option and possibly a road case option. But every pound of this beast is present in the sound. Did I mention it was loud and clear?

To me, this answers the question as to whether powered PA speakers have made the keyboard amp obsolete. This may be heavy, but it is still quicker set up than two PA speakers and it has a smaller on-stage footprint. I would never go back to separate speakers because I already use a KP612.

Once I get the exact specs from Motion Sound, I will post them. I added the photo with my dog for scale.

I will try to answer any questions you have before I get the specs.

1075.thumb.jpg.fa5ce66d8c09d543fc069f9e24fda917.jpg

1076.thumb.jpg.2c42176b81acebfdb992c1922449f83d.jpg

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man that is a beast, but then again, I believe the KBR-3D already weighs in around 70 pounds (it's never felt quite that heavy to me, but maybe it's just the way I carry it).

I've heard such good things about the newer Motion Sound stereo amps, not just from you, Mitch. Forgive me if this has been explained elsewhere, but I assume there's a difference between these newer models and the clean-stereo 12" speakers on an older KBR-3D? Inquiring minds...

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

That doesn't look all that big. Your dog is a Chihuahua right? :)

I'm sure it sounds great. I purchased the KP-610 and got to use it on two gigs before there were no more gigs, and I couldn't have been happier. For reference, I also have a SpaceStation Mk3, a pair of QSC K10's, Behringer BP-1200D sub, EV ZLX-12, Fender Keyboard 200 SFX and a Leslie 3300 and 122, not to mention various mixers when using mulitple keyboards. The ease of having just the KP-610 and the fact that it sounds at least as good as any combination of any of the other options I have, excluding the Leslies for organ (although the KP stereo spread does help internal rotary speaker effects quite nicely), makes it a winner purchase.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

That doesn't look all that big. Your dog is a Chihuahua right? :)

I'm sure it sounds great. I purchased the KP-610 and got to use it on two gigs before there were no more gigs, and I couldn't have been happier. For reference, I also have a SpaceStation Mk3, a pair of QSC K10's, Behringer BP-1200D sub, EV ZLX-12, Fender Keyboard 200 SFX and a Leslie 3300 and 122, not to mention various mixers when using mulitple keyboards. The ease of having just the KP-610 and the fact that it sounds at least as good as any combination of any of the other options I have, excluding the Leslies for organ (although the KP stereo spread does help internal rotary speaker effects quite nicely), makes it a winner purchase.

I've also got my eye on the KP-610 for the reasons you mention Dave...nice to see you're happy with it...

Love my KP-500S.

The single box/set up ease is outstanding, with hardly any compromise on sound quality. The stereo imaging and design just works. I"ve posted this before - I play mostly jazz gigs with vocalists that use the mic input on the KP. I utilize a mic mechanic for the mic input that really does the trick. For you clone users, the Motion Sound amps are the best I"ve experienced for clone amplification.

If I was still playing in loud bands (that ship sailed long ago), I would be all over this, 70 lbs and all. I have no doubt it delivers.

I imagine a KP610 on top of two 12" speakers is gonna sound great. I have a KP610. Only got to test drive it on one gig (Classic Rock) and it did well. I took a few outdoor gigs (Blues and Rock) for July and August (and passed on a few indoor gigs). I'll be using the 610 on these gigs if they're not cancelled.

Forgive me if this has been explained elsewhere, but I assume there's a difference between these newer models and the clean-stereo 12" speakers on an older KBR-3D? Inquiring minds...

Updated amp technology, better speakers and updated crossover, for starters. It has a ton more power as well. It is an all around better amp. (No rotary included like the KBR-3D). I think the KBR-3D was a cool idea in theory but never really achieved the goal in practice.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

you've test driven all of them .how does the tone compare to the previous kp 500 ? i had one briefly , the stereo effect was impressive for sure

The KP700x seems to have just a more round and full sound. This is probably because of the increased speaker surface area. But the 500 is a fantastic amp. However, I traded up to the 612 from the 500.

I've also got my eye on the KP-610 for the reasons you mention Dave...nice to see you're happy with it...

The 610 is a great amp! If I didn't play organ trio with bass pedals so much, I would probably use it instead of the 612. But, the cool thing about the 610 and 612 is the passive sub out. If you attach a passive sub via a speak-on, you get access to an additional 250 watts in the amp for the sub!

The 610 is a great amp! If I didn't play organ trio with bass pedals so much, I would probably use it instead of the 612. But, the cool thing about the 610 and 612 is the passive sub out. If you attach a passive sub via a speak-on, you get access to an additional 250 watts in the amp for the sub!

It might be helpful, if you have the time, to explain how or more specifically where the addition 250 watts for a passive sub comes from. The brochure and manual make reference to only one side of the amp being partially used for the sub. Then again I may have read it incorrectly. Also, given that I have a powered sub, is there any advantage other than less weight to haul, in getting a passive sub for the 610. And if so, do you have any recomendations on a passive sub?

Thanks, Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Nice, that's a beast, the KP-500S is plenty for me right now but would love to try that, and I do believe a large keyboard amp is worth carrying, people that have never played one of the new MS amps just don't know what a pleasure they are, it would take a large powered speaker/PA setup to compete with these new boxes.