Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dammit. One is never enough, is it?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...and now, the next one... :boing:

cCgmEdk.jpg

Eh...whaddayagonnado? Had to have P90s, right? :idk::D

On it's way even as we speak.

dB

2014 Gibson Melody Maker!!! Essentially similar to the Les Paul Custom Lite they made that year but with less gingerbread.

I had one, should have kept it. Mine came with EMG pickups installed so it was nice and quiet.

It reminded me of how great the wraparound tailpiece/bridge sounds. I have some stainless steel round head hex drive bolts that fit the threads of the tailpiece mount. I used washers to set the action, put the bolts in tight but not firm, strung it up, did the intonation thang and clamped it down. Clarity, deep bass and SUSTAIN for days!! Less fiddley changing strings too. Kept the pickups and the bolts, stuck a set of P-90s in it and traded it for a hand wired true point to point "clone" of a 1958 Vox AC-15 Top Cut amp mounted in a vintage hi-fi chassis. Figured there was only going to be one of those in my world and I can get another guitar.

Then, a multi-boogered late 50's early 60's single cutaway Melody Maker appeared in my life. I need to get her up and running but that one's a keeper.

Honestly, I think your Melody Maker is one of the best designs Gibson has ever produced. It looks cool, plays great and sings. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

...and now, the next one... :boing:

Eh...whaddayagonnado? Had to have P90s, right? :idk::D

On it's way even as we speak.

dB

Yeah, and I ended up buying that Tom Anderson Classic I saw on eBay..."on its way even as we speak."

Back in the 60's, I read an article about Zal Yanovsky, the lead guitarist for the Loving Spoonful. He said he had a Guild acoustic 6, and a Guild acoustic 12, as well as Guild electric 6s and 12s. My brain went "POP!" and I knew that I wanted to have one of each too, acoustic & electric 6 & 12 strings, so I'd be able to get all the sounds. Later on I found out it was a lot more complicated than that, because different electrics sounded different; Les Paul vs Strat vs Tele vs jazz box, baritone, 3/4 size, etc etc. And there are the different acoustics; dreadnought, OM size, single O, double O, triple O, resonator, 12 vs 14 frets clear of the body, 6 string banjo, etc etc. And then there's bass guitars; 4 string, 5 string, 6 string, Jazz Bass Verses P Bass vs Music Man Stingray, maybe even Gibson basses, fretless, active or passive electronics, etc etc.

And I ain't EVEN gonna get into amps.

There is not now nor will there ever be enough.

Never

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Nice Marzzz! Give us a review on the action, sound, feel, quality, etc. It looks like a master tone and master volume. I like the way the volume knob is set lower from the 1st string. Standard Strats are too close IMHO. I'm wondering what the mini toggle switch does? Series vs Parallel? Kill switch? Cut the middle pickup? Looks Nice - Congrats! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

My Melody Maker landed yesterday, and I am completely in love.

While it seems to lack a bit in the spank and snarl area compared to the Tele and Epi Dot , it more than makes up for in richness of tone and life/dynamic range.

What an amazing sound. Really sings...way digging those P90s...

x9McVmz.jpg

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

My Melody Maker landed yesterday, and I am completely in love.

While it seems to lack a bit in the spank and snarl area compared to the Tele and Epi Dot , it more than makes up for in richness of tone and life/dynamic range.

What an amazing sound. Really sings...way digging those P90s...

x9McVmz.jpg

dB

From experience, I can tell you that a significant part of that tone is the wraparound bridge. You have two adjustment points, the mounting screws. The bridge is a single, solid piece of metal (0K, maybe 4 with the two intonation screws).

Your Epiphone will have 8 adjustment points (what I call "fugitive threads") and your Tele will have between 9 and 18 depending on which bridge was used.

Wraparound bridge offers good sustain, even response and that "singing" tone. That's a nice guitar, great choice!!!!

Thanks, guys!

My bandmate and good friend Stan Cotey works at Fender. He tells me I now need to own a Princeton...muttered something about tubes... :idea::D

I know, I know...I'm a dead man. :pop:

dB

I have mixed feelings on this topic. I've owned several vintage Fender Tweed amps, Deluxes and one Harvard, some Valco, Kay, Danelectro/Silvertone, a Rivera-era Fender Concert, a pair of Champ chassis with consective serial numbers, a Bassman, a converted McGowan PA head, a vintage Gibson, an Orpheus, 9 Mesa Boogies, an Allen Accomplice and a Red Plate Blues Machine. Plus a hand wired true point to point converted Hammond organ amp done up as a modified Fender 5D3 circuit and another converted hi-fi amp wired as a Vox AC-15 Top Cut channel with an EF86 preamp tube. And stuff I am probably forgetting.

Currently I own and gig a Boss Katana 100 combo, a Roland Cube 40GX, Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 and 3, a recent Peavey Envoy 110 and a red stripe Peavey Transtube 258 EFX. I also have a Tech 21 Tri-AC pedal (Sansamp) that is a go-to for recording both guitar and bass.

I don't miss the tube amps, not for tone and certainly not for reliability. Tube amps are reliable, tubes are not.

You've got a Line 6 setup, I haven't used one much but friends gig with them and they sound really good to me.

Not dissing a Princeton at all, played through many and they are great sounding amps. 5 years ago I would have said you needed it.

I don't think so anymore. I suspect a blindfold test with your Line 6 dialed up pretty and a great tube amp - both through the same speaker - would not show any sort of compelling response in terms of votes for one or the other. Various sorts of tube emualtions have gotten REALLY good.

The best part is, you can use that money to buy another guitar!!!! :laugh:

I hear ya, Kuru...but no worries. :idk:

I plan to let the Princeton live in the studio with my modest pedal collection. I still really like the Line 6 rig not only because it sounds great to me through my PA..but also because I can take apart the programs to learn how they made those tones. Then, ideally, I'd like to try doing some of them the old skool way on the Real Thing just to learn and experiment.

No sports, no gigs...may as well spend the time trying to learn something. Besides, I have a few keyboards that might enjoy having a tube amp in the studio. :cool:

dB

I hear ya, Kuru...but no worries. :idk:

I plan to let the Princeton live in the studio with my modest pedal collection. I still really like the Line 6 rig not only because it sounds great to me through my PA..but also because I can take apart the programs to learn how they made those tones. Then, ideally, I'd like to try doing some of them the old skool way on the Real Thing just to learn and experiment.

No sports, no gigs...may as well spend the time trying to learn something. Besides, I have a few keyboards that might enjoy having a tube amp in the studio. :cool:

dB

A Princeton is a fine amp. i've passed on the opportunity to buy one too many times. Should have gotten a Blackface Princeton Reverb when they went cheap.

For all that, with a guitar I truly prefer the raw, evil snarl of the older Tweed amps. Neil Young is one iconic example.

It really depends on what guitar is used and other circumstances. I read an interview with Mick Ronson and he was asked how he got the tone on Moonage Daydream from Ziggy Stardust. Being British and all, I expected to hear "Marshall" but he plugged into a Fender Deluxe Reverb, dimed it and just ripped.

The solo at the end is iconic.

Besides, I have a few keyboards that might enjoy having a tube amp in the studio. :cool:

dB

Forgive me for truncating your post, but I wanted to make a point about running KB's through Guitar Amps; approach with caution. Some of those low frequencies will beat the living hell out of a Guitar Amp, especially a compact low-wattage combo Amp. Tubes are more forgiving than IC's, but it's not cheap blowing out and replacing tubes, either.

I knew a few KB players in the late 80's/early 90's who were using JC-120's or Polytones, but they were also mostly playing EP's, not full Synth rigs. Just a precaution . . . FWIW, I'm a Guitarist with more Synths than Guitars, so I've had experience killing a Guitar Amp with Synth tones, and low Pitch-Shifted sounds. Found a Roland KC60 in a local pawn shop, and that's worked for me.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Besides, I have a few keyboards that might enjoy having a tube amp in the studio. :cool:

dB

Forgive me for truncating your post, but I wanted to make a point about running KB's through Guitar Amps; approach with caution. Some of those low frequencies will beat the living hell out of a Guitar Amp, especially a compact low-wattage combo Amp. Tubes are more forgiving than IC's, but it's not cheap blowing out and replacing tubes, either.

I knew a few KB players in the late 80's/early 90's who were using JC-120's or Polytones, but they were also mostly playing EP's, not full Synth rigs. Just a precaution . . . FWIW, I'm a Guitarist with more Synths than Guitars, so I've had experience killing a Guitar Amp with Synth tones, and low Pitch-Shifted sounds. Found a Roland KC60 in a local pawn shop, and that's worked for me.

Truth. Most likely with a Princeton - the speaker will die first, a horrible, flatulant flubbering until the cone, voice coil and spider can take no more and expire.

I have 2 go-to 10" speakers for guitar. Weber Neo Mag 10 is modelled after the JBL D-110 (which now goes for stupid money) is a great sounding speaker, more "hi-fi". My other favorite is the Peavey Scorpion 10", which can often be found at very affordable prices, always used so choose your seller well. It is a great guitar speaker, my favorite 10" overall. Be prepared to be frightened, the Princeton will be a completely different beast with either of these installed. Still not recommended for keyboards.

Your best bet would be to solder the speaker output wires to a 1/4 jack, you could mount a project box on the inside of the Princeton cabinet. Then you can either use the internal speaker or plug it into a full range cabinet that can handle the lows.

Be aware that every octave you shift downards requires/provides a considerable increase in output even though it won't be louder. As a general rule, a guitarist with a 15 watt amp and a good speaker can compete with a bassist with a 200 wat amp on stage. It just takes more watts to get a good low frequency sound.

It'll be fun but be aware that one could create the "yellow smoke". Been there, it's sort of fun at the moment but could run up some $$$ in repairs. Cheers, Kuru

Nice Marzzz! Give us a review on the action, sound, feel, quality, etc. It looks like a master tone and master volume. I like the way the volume knob is set lower from the 1st string. Standard Strats are too close IMHO. I'm wondering what the mini toggle switch does? Series vs Parallel? Kill switch? Cut the middle pickup? Looks Nice - Congrats! :thu:

Thanks Larryz!

This is a New Old Stock 2015 guitar from a shop in South Florida, that closed a few years back. There isn't a mark on it. My most recent guitar is a headless HSS Kiesel, but it has a "D" shaped 24 fret neck and I have been moving more into single-coil sounds, especially at the neck. So I decided that if what I really wanted was a Strat, I should get a...Tom Anderson! I was originally spec-ing a guitar new, when this came up on eBay and was literally exactly what I wanted, save the color which is a classic Olympic White. If it's good enough for Hendrix and Jeff Beck, it's good enough for me.

As far as the guitar itself, it is a classic (pun?) Tom Anderson instrument. Completely top-notch in construction, finish, setup, electronics, etc. The neck is a satin finish, C-shaped "Even Taper," which is ridiculously smoother and easier to play than a standard Strat neck; I also find it more comfortable to play than the "D" shaped neck of my Kiesel- my slightly smaller than normal hands are better able to hook the thumb or grab chords in general. I had been going back-and-forth between Even Taper and Even Taper Plus .030 neck depth; when this guitar came up I went with it, and Even Taper turned out to be the right size for me (though the difference would be subtle). TA has a model called the "Icon," which exactly duplicates a Strat, but the Classic has only one Volume and one Tone knob. The switching is standard Strat, but there is an option to pull the Tone knob to add the bridge pickup; this gives you neck+bridge in position 1 (a take on a Tele), or all three pickups in position 2 which is also a cool sound that I am just starting to play around with. The pickups are SC1-SC1-SC3, which are noiseless single coils. It definitely sounds like Strat tones to me, though purists can opt for actual single coils if they wanted.

The Toggle switch is the "VA Booster," it is a passive circuit that adds about 4 dB of saturation and volume to each pickup. TA describes it as "instantly putting in the next hotter set of pickups into your guitar." The effect is definitely noticeable, and may work better with higher gain amp settings. It certainly adds versatility to the guitar; again I have to play around with it.

The guitar definitely fills my "Strat mojo," it sounds great, it is very high quality, and it sustains really well. The feel of the neck has pretty much ruined me for my other guitar; I am probably going to sell my Kiesel and for humbucker needs I may start looking for a TA Cobra (Tele-shaped Gibson scale mahogany). Hopefully two guitars will be enough?

My bandmate and good friend Stan Cotey works at Fender. He tells me I now need to own a Princeton...muttered something about tubes... :idea::D

I know, I know...I'm a dead man. :pop:

dB

Two words: Kemper Profiler! I sold off my Mesa Boogie tube amp after I got one.

Hopefully two guitars will be enough?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

Best post ever! Cheers, Kuru

PS, nice strat, the feature set sounds awesome - enjoy!

Sage counsel - thank you, brother!

I am probably going to sell my Kiesel and for humbucker needs I may start looking for a TA Cobra (Tele-shaped Gibson scale mahogany).

Wait...what? Tele-shaped Gibson???? :drool:

Sigh...it just never stops, does it? :facepalm:

dB

I am probably going to sell my Kiesel and for humbucker needs I may start looking for a TA Cobra (Tele-shaped Gibson scale mahogany).

dB

Plus, Gibson-shaped Teles and...

Once you go bolt on neck the possibilities are beyond all reason.

This is a fun little place, one of many. My experience with Warmoth parts has been universally positve, they make great stuffs. https://www.warmoth.com

Hahahahahahahahah!!! Just another little slice of Guitar Hell... Cheers, Kuru

I hear good things about this company "Build Your Own Guitar", look at the prices......I know people who have done biz with them and were astounded at the price vs quality.

https://www.byoguitar.com/Guitar_Kits/Guitar-Kits.aspx

Or, a Telegib!

cuct3dmzmkcvsrzel4ql.jpg

(not mine, something currently on Reverb that I currently can't afford...intriguing color, but for these I actually like blue!)

Hopefully two guitars will be enough?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

Best post ever! Cheers, Kuru

PS, nice strat, the feature set sounds awesome - enjoy!

:yeahthat: +1 Kuru and Thanks for the review Marzzz! It sounds like you'll be very happy but, one is never quite enough, so go for that TeleGib and watch out for #3! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

Teleclones with humbuckers, LPclones with singlecoils, hardtail strats, semihollow SGs...made from wood, aluminum, bamboo, plastics, Corian and other manmade materials.

Pretty much, if there"s something you want, someone either made one, is making one, or will make one. I"ve personally bookmarked a few hundred websites for multinational guitar makers down to lutheries of 1-7 people.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

There's a flip side to all the variety out there in the Guitar world - once you've found a model, or design that really works for you, you'll tend to stick with it, or go back to it.

After years working in Music Retail, where I got to try anything and everything that came through wherever I was working, I'm down to 8 Guitars, and two of them are nearly identical 2003 Gibson SG Specials that I've extensively retro-fitted with Schaller parts, and Grover tuners on each one. My favorite Acoustic is my Ovation Custom Legend, which I got in the last year os so to replace an Ovation Legend that finally died (fatal crack in top). I've had other Gibson Electrics, more than a few Fenders, Schecters, a couple of PRS SE models, a Yamaha with a Tele-style body & HB's, and a bunch of different Acoustic or A/E models, I can't recall everything else offhand, but I've been playing SG's and Ovations since the 1970's, and they're still my go-to Guitars even now. At this point, I'd rather play the damned things than collect them, so I'm probably set for a while.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I have a StratoPaul.

Found this custom shop "set-neck" Strat (not a bolt-on neck) with mahogany body and maple top and I thought "same woods in a LP!" Ebony fingerboard gives it sustain, and an interesting pickup wiring makes it bark like a LP.

They came from the shop with Lace pickups but this one has SD JB in the bridge and Texas Special single coils. Fender has the records and they're original. I bought it from the original owner who hardly ever played it he only bought it as an investment (I bought it for 1/4 what the guitar listed for).

It can still "twang" like a Strat... another versatile guitar.

http://www.analoguediehard.com/studio/guitars/fender_custom-shop-stratocaster/fender_custom-shop-strat-body.jpg

I have a StratoPaul.

Found this custom shop "set-neck" Strat (not a bolt-on neck) with mahogany body and maple top and I thought "same woods in a LP!" Ebony fingerboard gives it sustain, and an interesting pickup wiring makes it bark like a LP.

They came from the shop with Lace pickups but this one has SD JB in the bridge and Texas Special single coils. Fender has the records and they're original. I bought it from the original owner who hardly ever played it he only bought it as an investment (I bought it for 1/4 what the guitar listed for).

It can still "twang" like a Strat... another versatile guitar.

http://www.analoguediehard.com/studio/guitars/fender_custom-shop-stratocaster/fender_custom-shop-strat-body.jpg

Damn, MC - that's gorgeous!!!! Looks like a player from here, LOVE ebony board and you have the 22nd fret too. Keeper for sure!!!!

Let me know more about how you like that Epi "Dot", Dave. I've been sorely tempted for a while now by that Epiphone Riviera Custom P93, three black "dog ear" P-90s, Wine Red, gold hardware, Bigsby... but I've never been able to test-drive one, and never had quite the nerve to pull the trigger on ordering one whenever I've had the cash...

front-300_600.png

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _