Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peak or Hydrasynth Desktop?

Had my peak 18 months and I do like it.... However I picked up a Virus Ti2 a couple of months back, and while the filters arnt as nice as Peaks analogue ones, I have found the sounds I need for my 80s band are more authentic on the Virus (though it takes more work to get them).

This has me thinking about letting Peak go and grabbing a Hydrasynth to replace it. Ive heard some vintage sounds from the Hydra and they do sound really close....and it doesn a lot of things Peak wont in the wavetable area. BUT Ill loose an analogue filter..... so not sure.

I am getting a Fantom 7 later this week though to replace my FA07.... and that has an analogue filter on board... that along with the Virus is making me thing the switch.

Thoughts here?

Roland RD2000, FA07 (soon to be Fantom7), Legend EXP, Peak, Virus Ti2 Desktop.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard enough now from the Hydrasynth to feel pretty confident it would do the job for me in my cover band. I think a lot of people were wondering if it could mainly only do wave-y weird sounds. Granted nobody in my band (including me) is super picky with sounds but I'd want to get a moog solo sound, good 80s poly etc. I'd get the keyboard version as it would make a nice studio controller also.

In my case, if I ever get around to purchasing (need gigs, and more job stability) it would be up against the Prophet rev2. Ironically I wouldn't need anything if I'd just keep my Virus kB that I sold years ago--I loved the sounds that I got from that and the keybed was the best I ever played. 4-part multitimbral iirc as well, came in handy for a few songs.

I really like the Novation Peak and was set on buying one for about a year. Then I played it again, several times, at NAMM this past January and I realized that while the build quality is fantastic and it sounds great, it doesn't really do anything that I can't do with my Prophet 12.

Speaking of NAMM, I also loved the sound of the Korg Wavestate, though I did not like the cheap plastic build quality nor the atrocious keybed, not to mention the three octave range. I really think the 44 note range of the original Minimoog should be the standard for anything under five octaves. That said, I was debating between the Wavestate and the Hydra. I chose the Hydra and I do not regret my decision at all. It can do all that analog stuff with aplomb. But it can also do unapologetic digital, including of course PPG style wavetable synthesis and FM.

I would highly recommend the keyboard version. The keybed feels awesome and the poly aftertouch is so musical, so playable, I spent almost an hour just playing the very first patch, which is nothing more than a really simple sawtooth pad with a filter that opens with aftertouch. It's just so fun to play.

Dammit Jim. I saw your FB post and went and watched a Daniel Fischer demo. Truly awful idea. I think I may have to figure out how to get a keyboard version. It's almost $1900 up here but that's still a grand less than an OB-6 module.

Might it be worthwhile to buy in the States? My Sweetwater rep gave me a very good price.

It's digital. There's no doubt. But man, it can do so many things. The layout is so smart and intuitive. Glen Darcey is no dummy.

I doubt Sweetwater would sell it to me, I've called them about stuff before and most things are exclusive to the national dealers. I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask, though.

Yeah, from what I heard in another "classic sounds" type demo, it's not a pure VA, but it certainly gets close enough. Reading the specs, it actually seems like almost too much synth for me, but better after watching the demos it also seems like a sound can come together pretty quickly. The PolyAT, ribbon and effects might be worth the upgrade on the Sledge by themselves, to be honest. But I would miss the 61 keys.

Keyboard version is a no go -much as Id like the poly aftertouch. Its for a live rig and I have an RD2000 on the bottom and a Fantom 7 in the middle. Top shelf is for modules. Currently Legend EXP Organ, Peak and Virus Ti2.

This is about if Hydrasynth module could replace Peak (its the analogue filter on the peak - it is really nice)....and I wouldn't regret letting my Peak go.

Im only thinking seriously about it now because the Fantom has an analogue filter should I really need one.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Paul. I think in a module context it's a bit more of a toss-up and probably depends a bit more on your specific tastes and needs. Two different beasts. Maybe once you get the Fantom and can evaluate the filter included there, the choice will clear up?

Tastes and needs..... Wellll,, I play in 2 bands covering 70s, 80s and 90s. Im a 80 teenager as well, so Im routed in that era.

While nothings going to get me 100% there, or 100% of the sounds Id like - Im basically after getting close to as many sounds as I can from - Moog, Arp, Profit, Poly 6, Juno, Jupiter, OB8, DX7 and D50. Any more modern sounds the Virus can handle pretty easily - and its Mod matrix is actually more comprehensive than Peaks (though less slots)

The Fantom "should" (with its modelled filters and analogue ones) Hit the Juno/Jupiter/D50 and Profit sounds (Possibly Moog as well. Its has filters modelled on Moog and Profit). Virus Ti2 while it has is obvious "famous" sonic footprint does a surprisingly good VA copy of a Poly 6 and OB8 (better at the former) and also has a modelled Moog filter - but while a similar tonality its not really got that sound nailed.

So - what Im really after from the "2nd" synth would be moog, arp, CS80 and maybe a better OB sound. Peak does do a very convincing Analogue sound despite being digitally generated waveforms - the filter is really nice BUT its not OB/Moog/CS/Arp like. AS a first proper "knobby" synth its served me well. Im just wondering if the Hydrasynth, while digital, may get closer to those sounds than Peak will despite it having the analogue bits.

Hydrasynth has the Moog ladder filter model so Im guessing would be the best of the 3 (Fantom being unknown) at that sound. I dont know how it fairs at Arp/CS80/OB sounds though. If its no closer than Peak Ill probably stick with what I have. If however it gets more vintage sounding, and closer to those in particular It may be worth the switch.

true - but space is restrictive. I have 2 boards and a shelf for synths. The 2 boards MUST be an 88 note hammer action, and a 73/76 note synth action.... Hydra doesnt offer either. If it was for studio use/my own use only ... and I had space int he room (again I dont at present) then Id agree.

That said - the desktop still has poly AT - though its from the pads rather than keys. What it lacks is the ribbon.

The desktop Hydrasynth can be used as expansion for the keyboard version to increase the polyphony. There are also many interesting controllers coming out per the new stuff happening in the MIDI world, so there are plenty of reasons to drive the Hydrasynth desktop from other keyboards. Also, unlike pure rack designs, the full UI is available on the desktop unit.

The Hydrasynth UI is a thing of beauty and it sounds great to my ears. I'm not one to talk deeply about what sounds a board can or can't do. I'm also not clear on the use case as an RD2000 and a Fantom would seem to already be covering a vast amount of territory. I don't know as much about the new Fantom, but the Jupiter X platform has 80s stuff out the whazoo. Not sure how much of that is universally part of the Zen Core platform. What is there that can't be done with those two that the Peak is needed for?

The Hydrasynth is just incredibly well done. There's a reason people who've used it are gushing about the experience.

-Z-

The RD2000 came first - and its a hammer action. The Fantom is synth action.

I didnt want a Fantom 8 and replace the RD because the RD is already at the upper end of my weight limit. The Fantom 8 is another 10kg - just too heavy. Suire in an ideal works I wouldnt need both as the RD was bought pretty much for piano (and the control function again) but as I had that already and the Fantom extra weight was a no go - made sense to replace the FA instead with the F7.

The Jupiter X was also on my mind - and as a pure synth would have made more sense BUT its not a controller.... its VERY limited there (- and I need both my weighted and synth action boards to offer control over multiple midi channels as well to drive my desktop synths and organ module. Again in an "ideal" world....but in reality there are more than just sound driving choices.

Peak is the odd one out now - hence the question. I bought it before I got the Virus (with its own sonic stuff happening, and great mod matrix AND 16 part multi-timrality). Its a different flavour of course, and Peak has the analogue filer so kept a place. Now the Fantom has an analogue filter, and does classic stuff well..... Peak is looking less and less "unique". Hence the question. Will i ultimately regret letting Peak go, either because its better than I realise at this point (I do keep getting dragged back into it when I play with it) or because the Hydrasynth isnat as capable of the sounds I want as it looks in some vids. I need to sell Peak to fund the Hydrasynth so cant really get that first, and obviously cant go try one at present (not many have them and no shops open here).

I honestly think it would be criminal not to get the keyboard version of the Hydrasynth and have access to polyphonic after touch.
I think it's criminal that it is only a 4 octave keyboard, especially with the PolyAT. Not that this would help, but I have seen several YouTubes that basically say you need both the Peak and the Hydra; I have a Peak and really like it, but when I had a chance to try out the Hydra at NAMM I kept coming back to it. Doesn't help that I thought the Jupiter Xm sounded pretty great also...

I honestly think it would be criminal not to get the keyboard version of the Hydrasynth and have access to polyphonic after touch.
I think it's criminal that it is only a 4 octave keyboard, especially with the PolyAT...

lots of crimes going on in this thread :laugh::cop:

:nopity:

I just got a Hydrasynth keyboard after having to send back the demo model I used to make the video series. Haven't hooked it up yet but might stay up all night playing it after I do.

To me and my ears and playing tastes, there is no contest at all. The Peak is fine for what it is, but the Hydrasynth is amazing for what IT is, and what it is is nothing anyone else is building right now. My new desert island keyboard for when I'm not working in iOS.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music