Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar, reverb and a surfboard.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

My brother lives in Santa Cruz some of the scenery looks familar. I've never surfed though. Did a bit of wave jumping on Sandy Beach on Oahu. Unintentionally got pulled out pretty far from the shore, glad I had survival swimming lessons when I was a kid!!! I made to back to the beach but exhausted by then.

You dig the Mermen? One of my favorites for surf guitar music. Dick Dale played here a few years ago and I was too stupid to go see him. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Instrumental surf guitar is one of my all-time favorite subgenres of rock music, from its genesis in performers like Dick Dale or The Ventures to international and modern permutations like Laika & The Cosmonauts, Surf Punks or The Space Cossacks.

Some musical wits even did surf versions of Black Metal tunes that are pretty damned amazing, IMHO.

I didn"t see who was doing that bluster take on surf in that video. Do you know who it was?

(PS: nice surfing, too!)

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

@Kuru: I want to go to Santa Cruz eventually, my mother went there last year for her honeymoon. Not that familiar with the Mermen, can't really comment. Sandy beach can be very dangerous. I go there in the summer sometimes, it goes flat where I live then.

@Danny: I'm not familiar with some of the band's you mentioned, but will check them out. I'm not sure I understand your question.

@Larryz: Thanks for the video. I love Dick Dale and SRV.

Jenny S.

Jenny, Santa Cruz is one of my favorite places to visit in California. It's nice there all year around. It does rain a bit. Summer mornings can be foggy, I sort of like fog.

It is expensive though!!!! Luckily, my brother and his wife have a spare bedroom so that makes it much less expensive for me. Plus he has guitars so I don't need to bring one.

I had fun at Sandy Beach, just didn't understand the ocean there and Nature bats last. So, I survived my lesson and would stay much closer to shore if there is a next time.

Here are a couple of Mermen tunes.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

@ Surfer Girl, I surfed the Santa Cruz beaches all through my high school years. Lots of fun places to put in, but the water is very cold. I always wore a half wet suit. They had a shark attack this year at Manresa Beach which is very unusual and one of the beaches I used to surf. I lived over the hill in the bay area just a half hour from the boardwalk. Have a great time if you do decide to make the trip. I love that SRV and Dick Dale video for all the old cameos of the original beach movie stars/clips along with SRV's improvisation on Pipeline! :2thu:
Take care, Larryz

@Kuru: I want to go to Santa Cruz eventually, my mother went there last year for her honeymoon. Not that familiar with the Mermen, can't really comment. Sandy beach can be very dangerous. I go there in the summer sometimes, it goes flat where I live then.

@Danny: I'm not familiar with some of the band's you mentioned, but will check them out. I'm not sure I understand your question.

I was trying to figure out who did the music for the video.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

@ Surfer Girl, I surfed the Santa Cruz beaches all through my high school years. Lots of fun places to put in, but the water is very cold. I always wore a half wet suit.

I drove my kids up there one year to go to O'Niell Wetsuit shop. We stopped by at Steamers to have a look at that famous break and it was breaking, double overhead with on shore wind mush from top to middle, and chop below, (with a hundred guys out). The sea was white water, chop and black wet suits. I did buy one of those old O'Niells with the zipper up on the shoulders from side to side, it was ugly but it was as warm as toast. I used it for years until one night I hung it on my left door side view mirror I was in a campsite at San Elijo State Beach in Cardiff by the sea which is where I camped most nights during the winter months. I woke up the next morning and it was gone. A few nights later I sat up hidden from view alongside my tent This was during the Vietnam War days or so, and I saw this guy walking along the street as silently as anyone I have ever watched walk. I figured he was a Vietnam vet, he had that walk. Several days later than that I spotted him again south of the campground loading wet-suits and towels from his car to another car, some money was exchanged. I did get the other cars license number, I turned it in to the park rangers but never heard a word about it. I sure was not going to confront that stalker, I knew he had military experience, the wet-suit was a little long in the tooth anyways. and I was a bricklayer making way more bread than I needed, and more power to him as I figured he was down on his luck, and the wet suit was long used. (this was before my study of Wing Chun, a very deadly Chinese martial art (Think Bruce Lee and Yip Man) Anyways the day the wet suit was stolen I had a new and better one and even if I did have my Wing Chun, I kinda felt sorry for a vet down on his luck. I let it slide in respect for his service, (and my good health)

I was trying to figure out who did the music for the video.

No and I'm disappointed that they didn't give credit. There was an article with the video and went over 3 times hoping I had misses it, but no.

Jenny S.

@ DBM, back in my surfing days we were able to camp on the beach and had no trouble with thieves coming around. I was not good enough to surf Steamers but it was a great place to go watch the super talented. We had a secret spot down south of Rio Del Mar where we could have a campfire, with guitars, bongos, beer, etc. and howl at the moon all night. Surfing was just a way to have fun during the daylight hours! We were just high school teenagers, but we managed to drink a lot of beer LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I think Steamer Lane is kinda like Pipeline. If you surfed it, it was in the off season, otherwise you couldn't get in the lineup. I have 3 places picked out, Steamers is not one of them. My mother's a great surfer and see didn't try to get in the lineup at Steamers. The Hook was her favorite spot.
Jenny S.

https://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Cowells-Cove/forecasts/latest/six_day here's a cool site for trip planning the beaches around the Santa Cruz area...use the drop down on the last box on the right for a list and click on one. Some good tips can be found like Cowells during the winter for the best month and winds, etc. Or pick Steamers, Manresa, etc. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

At first I thought this was going to be one of those "three people walk into a bar" jokes.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager