Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fantom 7 incoming

So - i bit the bullet.

Going to have to put some hours into re-programming many patches/sounds/scenes I have on my FA for the live bands.... Im not looking forwards to that BUT the control surface, and a few other live control functions (for outboard synths) are going to help SOOOOO much.

Most vids/demos focus on Pianos, sequencing, orchestral stuff etc (as its a workstation) BUT the synth section (and live realtime control) is where it really shines (compared to Kronos, Montage etc).

Demo from 3rd party showing the capabilites of the synth side.....

Ill keep my FA07 initially so I can use it as reference to sound design my patches and studio sets, but then it will be up for sale if anyones interested. Ill post in adds once im done with it. Will look for £500 ish I think.

Roland RD2000, FA07 (soon to be Fantom7), Legend EXP, Peak, Virus Ti2 Desktop.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we can debate all the nuances of Fantom, Kronos, Montage, Forte and Nord but I do think Roland is at the top of the sound engine game in a workstation package right now with Fantom. (Yes, I know Nord doesn't make a workstation but I am talking about the overall depth of Stage as a one board tool). This sounds extraordinary and would be a joy to own and play.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I wouldn't say top of the sound engine game as long it does not come with anything close to a clonewheel inside. The organs I've heard are basically the same samples as in my JUNO-G which was released 2006. And they go back even further than that. If we say top of the synth engine game, we can agree on that.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I've been wanting a workstation and have been looking at the Kronos, Montage, and Fantom. I was leaning away from the Fantom because I have an RD-2000 and wanted a different brand for variety of sounds. But from my first time workstation buyer the Fantom would be it. I think being a new design/product puts its controls, layout, capabilities ahead of the others. The Kronos and Montage are both getting long in the tooth and due for major revamp or new model to replace them.

So congrat's look forward to your comments after working for awhile on the Fantom.

If I get a Fantom, I'd sell my FA-07 and get a MODX6 or MODX7 to carry around. I would still need something light and portable, assuming I am rehearsing and doing cheap gigs again in the future.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Ha - I have the Fantom 7 in the middle with an RD2000 on the bottom.

The organ is covered on my top shelf - with a Legend EXP module (along with a Virus Ti2 module and a Peak - though the Peak may get swapped for a Hydrasynth module if the Fantoms analogue filter is as good as peaks - thats an if though)

Yamaha Modx, to me just my opinion, the best, sounds and price, to me no brainer

and terrible keybed :( poor real time control, no VA synth engine, no analogue filter, not goop as a controller board. All those are things I personally need.

even the FA Im replacing is a better fit than ModX for me.

I wouldn't say top of the sound engine game as long it does not come with anything close to a clonewheel inside. The organs I've heard are basically the same samples as in my JUNO-G which was released 2006. And they go back even further than that. If we say top of the synth engine game, we can agree on that.

This is true, but I have no need for organs as my Legend EXP covers them.

That said - an organ engine is incoming. Timeframe isnt set (as there are other things there adding as well - its where it sits on the priority list) and as yet we dont know what the engine is. Some say its teh VK engine, which is older tech as well. However when I spoke to Roland some 6 months before the board was generally known about, they indicated the VR engine (I was looking at a VR730 and Nord Electro at the time).

To me - the only negative is it was released "unfinished". not uncommon these days - they the hardware out fully formed, with the core bits sorted so they can use the public to bug find (important these days as it would take forever to find all the bugs in a modern system) AND then add other functionality that can be done via Firmware (ie no need for hardware change) over time. I dont like that really, but Im older. The vast majority of things across all tech areas do the same thing now.

Yamaha Modx, to me just my opinion, the best, sounds and price, to me no brainer

and terrible keybed :( poor real time control, no VA synth engine, no analogue filter, not goop as a controller board. All those are things I personally need.

even the FA Im replacing is a better fit than ModX for me.

I would say the MODX and FA are competitive in real time control and as a controller board.

Real time control:

Roland has 6 knobs, 16 pads, 3 foot controls, pitch/mod lever.

Yamaha has 4 endless encoders plus the superknob, 4 sliders, 4 foot controls, separate pitch/mod wheels.

Controller:

Roland has 16 externally controllable zones vs. 8 on the Yamaha, but the 8 on the Yamaha are more flexible. They can be octave-shifted, and you can assign 8 MIDI CC functions to the knobs (two banks of 4, endless) instead of 6 (one bank of 6, fixed), and MODX also gives you four MIDI assignable front panel buttons.

But the Fantom should easily beat them both!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I agree - FA and ModX arew the compatable models not the Fantom.

Personally I still thin the FA wins - because of the VA synth engine which the ModX doesnt have - but thats because I WANT a VA engine. On the other hand I have no use for an FM engine with the FA doesnt have but ModX does, so it will suit others better.