Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Old software instruments I still use...

Hey all,

Plugin instruments are great, but as time marches on you run the risk of support running out or the inability to install them on later operating systems.

I still use the Waldorf A1 which was bundled with Cubase SX in the early 2000's. They never ported it to 64bit, so I run it through a bridging utility on Cubase 6.5. I'll tell you what... If you have some decent effects plugins to round it out, you can do far worse than the A1 for basses and comp sounds. It's a very CPU-efficient instrument with a fat tone. If I was in a contest to produce a piece of music quickly I would definitely include it in my arsenal.

I also still use Native Instruments Pro-53. You can find some newer recreations of the Prophet 5 with Arturia, etc., but again, it's an extremely efficient plugin with some decent presets that serve as great starting points for your own sounds. I still use it in many compositions (again, with a 32-to-64 bit bridging utility). It's one of the best 150 dollars I've ever spent. And the simple, tinny built-in delay? I love it...

Last, there is Pentagon 1. It was ultimately acquired by Cakewalk but I bought it before that happened. I don't use it as much but it did provide a critical sound for a few compositions. I doubt I'll be able to keep it going into Win10, etc.

Plugins that sounded great 20 years ago still sound great today. Hopefully manufacturers will continue to support their software as operating systems progress (like Korg has done with the Legacy Collection).

Todd

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All compouters represent a moment in time. The only thing that never changes is everything always changes.

I get "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", one of my favorite guitars to play is a 1958 Danelectro Silvertone U2 that is butt ugly to a mud fence. It plays and sounds fantastic and it's always fun.

I am always in favor of everybody using what they enjoy. I wouldn't be able to run your 32 bit plugin sinces I am now on Catalina on a Mac.

Since most of my plugins are more recent, they survived the transition.

I don't doubt you are getting great sounds out of your chosen toys and it has to be very efficient for you in terms of learning curve. The learning is the part I enjoy the least but it does pay off usually.

Some things just work, I knew how to use the AU NewPitch plugin that Apple includes with the system the first time I opened it. I LOVE it for de-tuning effects, it is simple, precise and sounds fantastic for that purpose.

I used to play through Fender Tweed amps from the mid 50's. Now I have the IK Multimedia Fender Collection II for Amplitube and it sounds and feels like playing through one of those old amps. They did a great job.

I am stealthy, I wait until there is a sale - in this case it was one of IK's tiered sales and it progressed to the point that I got a dozen great plugins for the price of one ($120 if I recall correctly).

So I'll get my $10 worth out of the Fender amps!!!!

I think the market may have changed, competition is fierce and sales are heavily discounted. One thing that certainly happens often now is regular upgrades to popular plugins. Often, just before the new upgrade is introduced the previous one will go on sale for a blowout price. I got the full version of SampleTank 3 for $69 and added the lowest version of SampleTank 4 for another $50. It runs all of my SampleTank 3 sounds and is a much better behaved program.

If one is patient and waits until the spam brings offerings, one can get excellent plugins for very little overall cost. It's time for me to go through my accumlation and thin the herd. I've made my own folders to organize what I use, there are some things I need to check out and decide if I keep or toss.

As much fun as I had goofiing around with tape, I love using the computer much more. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Last, there is Pentagon 1. It was ultimately acquired by Cakewalk but I bought it before that happened. I don't use it as much but it did provide a critical sound for a few compositions. I doubt I'll be able to keep it going into Win10, etc.

I believe Pentagon can still work with Windows 10, but you need to modify permissions or run as admin or something...if you search the Cakewalk forums you'll find the answer.

Plugins that sounded great 20 years ago still sound great today. Hopefully manufacturers will continue to support their software as operating systems progress (like Korg has done with the Legacy Collection).

I sure hope Cakewalk resurrects Rapture Pro. It got a bad rap for justifiable reasons, but with a few tweaks, it would be killer.

As a Mac user, I can't use anything that was released before the transition to Intel; but I still enjoy old virtual instruments that made the migration. For example, I can open Atmosphere patches in Omnisphere and Ultra Focus sounds in Synth Anthology 2. Oldies, but goodies.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I started with and still use Korg Legacy Collection in 2005. Does anyone remember all the nay-slayer predictions and whining about future support/compatibility? Not just with this product but any VSTs as I recall. Also OPX Pro-II. Still holds up to the latest and "greatest" imo.

Probably the oldest bit of code I use is Absynth5. Absynth came out as Mac-only in 2000, then NI acquired it and took it to V5 in...I think 2009. And has stayed there for going on 11 years. That's pretty old for any softsynth version still in service. Just has really great sample waveforms and filters and so very deep and tweakable.

The emulations of classic synths have gotten so incredibly good over the last few years. I've moved away from the Arturia offerings and other older vsts. My go-to emulations now are GForce's Oddity2, the U-he offerings of Diva, Repro-1 and Repro-5, NI's Monark.

The most recent thing I've acquired is iZotope's Iris2. Just starting to get my head around it....it's very different. But what sound quality!

nat

One that really bothers me is Native Instruments B4. I still don't understand why they dropped it and went to a sample based replacement. As soon as they did that I started worrying about what they would drop next. When Rob Papen dropped support for Albino 3 I became leery of buying VST's from people that don't actually program them. I also have a few NI libraries that will not install without jumping through a bunch of hoops. Oh, and then there is all those VST's from Camel Audio. I owned all of them, then Apple buys the company and support for most of it goes away. I guess software can break down as easily as hardware.

Honestly, I have really cut back on installed VSTi's. I install NI Ultimate and most U-he synths, and then don't worry about the rest.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I started with and still use Korg Legacy Collection in 2005. Does anyone remember all the nay-slayer predictions and whining about future support/compatibility?

Absent their terrible installer and copy protection app (Korg Software Pass), I think Korg has done a phenomenal job supporting and growing the KLC collection. If I wasn't having so many issues with their installer I'd pick up the Triton plugin.

I have both the W/S and M1 plugins, and I use the M1 quite a bit. Those 16-bit samples really glue into a track.

Sundown

One that really bothers me is Native Instruments B4. I still don't understand why they dropped it and went to a sample based replacement.

B4 was quite a plugin. I wish I snagged it before it was discontinued. After Kontakt took off, it seemed like NI drifted toward sample-based instruments and libraries and put oscillator-based instruments in a distant second place (or third or fourth place if you count their DJ products, etc).

Sundown