Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is the Lachy Doley online course worth $500?

What do you learn that isn"t available through listening to recordings?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you learn that isn"t available through listening to recordings?

There are many ways to look at something so sometimes a different point of view. Who inspired them to come up with idea. Info about how the session went down. Records are the great source but nice to get some thoughts from the person(s) who played on the recording.

Last week I spent close to 90 minutes on the phone with Lachy Doley for an upcoming episode of my podcast. I had been tempted previously to have a look at the course and after that interview I'd even more seriously contemplate it, as contrary to some perceptions I found him very non-egotistical and incredibly passionate about what he does. Like a lot of others have said, it's a sizeable chunk of money but it depends on what you're looking to get out of it I suppose.

Egotistical?? Wow!

I went to see him last summer. Before the show he came out and was playing keys with a father and his kid. After the show, big outside summer thing, he came out to say hi. Talked to everyone who wanted. Took pictures. Super cool, down to earth guy. I don't know where this egotistical thing comes from. I don't see it at all.

Chatted a couple times on Facebook. Dude was super appreciative and modest.

:yeahthat:

I expressed the same sentiment in the thread about Lachy's clavinet with the whammy bar mod. This dude is way cool and not at all egotistical. He gets this rap from people who don't know him or haven't seen him live.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3041135/a-look-inside-lachy-doleys-clav-with-the-whammy-mod#Post3041135

:nopity:

Egotistical?? Wow!

I'm pretty sure Dave wrote "non-egotistical", unless he edited his post.

I went to see Lachy in a small bar in a very remote area, and talked to him for a while after the show. I would agree he's a totally cool guy, friendly and truly passionate about music.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

I enjoy Lachey's playing a lot. He's got an emotional connection to his music that I haven't seem many people accomplish. Harmonically, his stuff ain't that deep at all. But then neither was Hendrix's. I'd say if Lachey can teach some of that "soul" in his course, and you have the money, and you like his style go for it. If you're looking for ways to stretch your playing harmonically, I'd grab snippets from as many of the jazz guys as you can. Brian Charette's stuff is great for that, and I'd imagine so is Joey D's.Tony seems like you're gonna get an all around organ education from him. But a word of warning, a good player isn't necessarily a good teacher. There's probably a real good reason Tony Monaco is as popular as he is. A side note, my favorite organ guy is Medeski. A while back he offered a deal where you could go hear him record a CD in the studio with Fuzinski, get a master class with both of them, and get copies of the CD. I went specifically to learn his drawbar technique, and also to see if I could catch a glimpse into how his mind worked. He showed me his technique, and I was shocked. He knows what note each drawbar is playing on each key while he's doing it. It's not just a random technique, he's in complete control! I didn't know it before going, but the whole CD was using a 24 tone scale. I got to watch him work, ask questions, etc. and that glimpse into his mind I wanted turned out to be a lot more complicated than I could imagine. I learned one important thing that day, and that was I could relax, I will never be a John Medeski. I enjoy listening to him a lot better since then because I realize some things you can learn, some things are just pure genius and aren't to be imitated. I kind of doubt Lachey can teach that pure emotion that comes out of his playing, it's a part of him. But if he could it'd be worth the 500.

I am offering a class on how to use paragraphs. $45 :)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Problem with lessons for piano and organ is that you have to know the keyboard, sorry but you really do. There has to be a certain understanding of things because if you can't play to that level it really won't matter if you don't have dexterity and technique in the first place. It's nice to see what they are doing but I never get a lot out of them.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Yeah, you need chops. And if you have chops then you usually can pick up hot licks left and right from all sorts of recordings of our heroes or even off of youtube. Transcribe software is recommended. You've got to do the work, go for what you want. I have a whole collection of hot licks with different nicknames like "The Joe Sample Lick", "The Oscar Peterson Lick", "The Hiromi Lick", "The Bill Evans Motifs", "The Herbie Lick", "The McCoy Lick", "The Monty Alexnder Lick" (tons here since he is a lick player), "The Barry Harris Licks (embellishments actually) " (most useful). These are not just random but distinctive characteristic licks I hear them use again and again. I have blended and linked them all into my own playing.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

What's great about these free 6 minute youtube snippet lessons like "4 licks on blues piano" or whatever is that if you got the chops you got something to try . If you dont have the chops you find an easier lesson but even the one that was over your head planted some seeds.

Something like a high resolution video of like Jordan

Rudess slowed down to quarter speed so you can see some fingering ideas would be more useful to me than a lesson course.

FunMachine.

I enjoy Lachey's playing a lot. He's got an emotional connection to his music that I haven't seem many people accomplish. Harmonically, his stuff ain't that deep at all. But then neither was Hendrix's. I'd say if Lachey can teach some of that "soul" in his course, and you have the money, and you like his style go for it. If you're looking for ways to stretch your playing harmonically, I'd grab snippets from as many of the jazz guys as you can. Brian Charette's stuff is great for that, and I'd imagine so is Joey D's.Tony seems like you're gonna get an all around organ education from him. But a word of warning, a good player isn't necessarily a good teacher. There's probably a real good reason Tony Monaco is as popular as he is. A side note, my favorite organ guy is Medeski. A while back he offered a deal where you could go hear him record a CD in the studio with Fuzinski, get a master class with both of them, and get copies of the CD. I went specifically to learn his drawbar technique, and also to see if I could catch a glimpse into how his mind worked. He showed me his technique, and I was shocked. He knows what note each drawbar is playing on each key while he's doing it. It's not just a random technique, he's in complete control! I didn't know it before going, but the whole CD was using a 24 tone scale. I got to watch him work, ask questions, etc. and that glimpse into his mind I wanted turned out to be a lot more complicated than I could imagine. I learned one important thing that day, and that was I could relax, I will never be a John Medeski. I enjoy listening to him a lot better since then because I realize some things you can learn, some things are just pure genius and aren't to be imitated. I kind of doubt Lachey can teach that pure emotion that comes out of his playing, it's a part of him. But if he could it'd be worth the 500.

I am offering a class on how to use paragraphs. $45 :)

You"ll make a fortune on this forum alone, David, hehe.

A good online lesson site needs more than good videos. It needs organization and a clear path. I signed up for lessons on Scottsbasslessons, maybe the biggest bass site, and got nothing out of it. It is like it was organized without a new player in mind. There was no clear path and I never really knew what to do next. Changed to Talkingbass.net and things were much better. A smaller selection of lessons but much better organized with a clear path. Scotts has been advertising a new plan with new players in mind but from what I see it is not much better. They just don't understand how to present material to a new player. As a drummer or keyboardist I could handle that. As a bass player, I need clear guidance.

As a drummer I signed up for online lessons with a different goal in mind. I was a really good drummer coming out of high school but was totally self taught. I decided that I wanted some online lessons for learning the rudiments, and learning beats that I did not learn from listening to Zeppelin and other rock bands. Tried two sites and again organization made the difference.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Most keyboard videos that are instructional are terrible. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you can teach it. Some of the old homespun tapes were terrible for example.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Pretty sure Lachy Doley didn't become the player he is by watching videos.

One of my favorite "instructional videos" is Bill Evans' interview with his brother, in which they recount the time his brother asked Bill to show him some changes and Bill replied something like "I don't want to deprive you of figuring it out for yourself."

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

As I mentioned above, I completed an interview with Lachy Doley for my podcast, and here's the link in case you don't notice it in the podcast forum :)

LINK TO PODCAST

Great interview Dave, really enjoyed that.

Thanks mate glad you did! Could have talked for another 2 hours - would loved to have covered so much more: Powderfiinger days, more Glenn Hughes stuff, his work in The Hands etc etc.

BTW Dave, I know who "Jimmy" is, sorta. You know I follow INXS for a bit and he was with them for a minute. I never heard it though. In fact, I never got around to listening to Jimmy himself!

P. S. "Play the fucking song!!!!" :roll:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

BTW Dave, I know who "Jimmy" is, sorta. You know I follow INXS for a bit and he was with them for a minute. I never heard it though. In fact, I never got around to listening to Jimmy himself!

P. S. "Play the fucking song!!!!" :roll:

:D

You might be thinking of this great Jimmy / INXS Collaboration:

[video:youtube]

Steve Nathan knows who Jimmy is also, having played on his later releases recorded in Nashville.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

of course this is OT now (always manage to do that somehow)

I convinced my late 80's band to cover this song as I thought it was brilliant, never went over as well as I hoped it would.

:nopity:

Looking at the INXS Wikipedia page, I might have mixed up his stint with Jon Stevens, who officially joined the band for a minute, whereas Jimmy just guested a couple of times. :idk:

Either way, I only heard of either of them because of the Farriss Brothers!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

of course this is OT now (always manage to do that somehow)

I convinced my late 80's band to cover this song as I thought it was brilliant, never went over as well as I hoped it would.

Would have been a winner in this country Dave, that song was massive here. I"m assuming not so well known in the States?

When it was released INXS were bona fide superstars in Australia, as was Jimmy who was riding high with a very successful solo career post the breakup of his also very successful band Cold Chisel.

However he would have been virtually unknown in the US and INXS hadn"t yet released 'Kick' which was the album that went global for them.

Looking at the INXS Wikipedia page, I might have mixed up his stint with Jon Stevens, who officially joined the band for a minute, whereas Jimmy just guested a couple of times. :idk:

Either way, I only heard of either of them because of the Farriss Brothers!

Yeah Joe they dabbled with a few lead vocalist ideas before hitting on the Rockstar INXS concept and eventually hiring JD Fortune.

Jon Stevens was the very well-credentialed singer of a popular Australian rock band called Noiseworks. He also played the role of Judas Iscariot to much critical acclaim in a national production of Jesus Christ Superstar.

A swarthy, rugged and handsome chap back in the day (just ask my Mrs) who had an excellent voice. He seemed like a good fit for INXS at the time but as you pointed out the partnership was quite short-lived.

Circling back to Mr Doley, great job on the interview Dave!

Thanks again for the feedback. I enjoy all the interviews but this one was particularly fun and it was also good to put some questions to Lachy that I'd seen come up here on the forum over style vs substance etc.

I would love to learn some of his tricks, tips, licks, thoughts, etc... But $500 is steep. It could very well be worth it. One could easily spend that on piano lessons.

Anyone try this course? It doesn't look like hours and hours of content but I'd like to get opinions.

So Kwyn, did you ever do this? If yes, how did it all turn out?

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Dave,really good interview. I listened to it last night in its entirety. The mark of a good interviewer is the ability to let the interviewee answer questions at length if they so desire. Too many interviewers don"t really seem as interested in hearing answers as they are in hearing the sound of their own voices. Your ability to step back and let the subject speak is admirable.

Lachy comes across as a good guy. Several folks here who have met him have testified to this. I haven"t had the pleasure of hearing him live but in his recordings and performance videos I see and hear a performer whose work really speaks to me. His primarily blues/rock informed vocabulary works fIne for me. If I want to hear great jazz I"ll listen to Bill Evans,McCoy Tyner,Oscar Peterson,et al. If I want some ballsy,aggressive rockin" stuff with keys up front,Lachy delivers. He gets great organ and clav sounds and has a very cool singing voice too.

While some seem to see his performances as ego driven, I see genuine enthusiasm,energy,and a love for his vocation. He even admits that a little of his style comes from not being able to cop some things exactly and coming up with his own alternatives. Keyboard players often bemoan the keys player being undermixed and relegated to the back of the stage yet when somebody puts the keys front and center some folks accuse him of being a hammy egotist. Any public performance worth its salt demands a certain amount of ego and confidence and I feel that Lachy has it right. Again,I just see a guy who loves his work.

That said,I 'd be unlikely to spend the dough on his instructional course since I"ve been playing in a similar bag for almost 50 years and learned a large amount by figuring stuff out from recordings in the dark ages before internet. Oh,and I love the fact that he gives Jon Lord big props. I wonder if he"s familiar with Lee Michaels.

Thanks again for a great interview Dave.