Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio 40 years of Keyboards

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Credit due to Casio. They have come a long way. The marketing is pretty good. I hear very good things about Rich Formidoni, Mike Martin etc.

I have owned PX5s and PX350.

Ultimately, keyboard choice is a very personal thing, and I don"t currently own any Casios.

However, I wouldn"t hesitate to recommend their stage pianos for someone wanting a decent action and sound in a lightweight package at a fair price.

I really like the compact shape/design of their PX-S range and the fact they include proper outputs at that price and weight range, unlike some other brands.

I would quite like to see Casio do a top end stage piano, above the Privia line, with features such as:

- top heavyweight hammer action (Bechstein collab?)

- internal power supply

- xlr outs/individual outs etc

- solid metal construction

- high end controller features

- all black design with just 'Casio' printed on the back (or even Bechstein/Casio - probably wishful thinking!)

Obviously it wouldn"t weigh the same as the Privia line but it could perhaps still come in under 20kg

Could be a great addition to their line.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

My VL1 was a big part of my childhood. I remember finally being able to "feel" the pulse of the Bossanova rhythm - it wasn't something I'd been exposed to previously. Loved my SK1 as well.

Currently (take note Casio) my favourite numbers are 73 and 76.

Cheers, Mike.

Still have a working VL1 . . .

I just cleaned mine up, was playing it yesterday. I know Mike Martin has one, it's on his latest hit single. Lightbg (Jake) has one also.

The first digital synth. Started a revolution. :cool:

:nopity:

I am too young to remember the VL-1 and SK-1, but I remember when I was a little kid I had a Casio SA-75.

I do have an SK-1 though.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

I had an FZ-1 from around 1989-1991. It was a nice sampler, my first experience with sampling. I remember how blown away people were the first time they heard samples in my rig and I thought the interface was very good and it was a well built instrument. I couldn't really use it long term because of the speed of loading sounds from a floppy disk system, but it was fun.

I haven't really seen anything else from Casio I have felt the need to buy but I think the Privia line is good for the money, but misses out on some of the professional build and I/O features I like from flagship boards that cost 2-3X more.

I think after the FZ-1 era they didn't really chase the pro/studio type player as much as the consumer markets until within the last decade but it's great to have choices.

They still get a bad rap, though. People who don't know anything about gear just assume Casio is cheap garbage.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Would you provide the link to that first video? I could not find it, probably used the wrong search terms.

[video:youtube]

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Thanks. I was definetely using the wrong words in my search. :) FWIW I had a CZ-5000 many years ago, my first keyboard. And many years later, a PX-350 as I decided returning to my old piano playing hobby.

All possible credit to Casio. They sold me my wondrous PX5s and then helped me every step of the way as I learned to use it. I have never, in my life, dealt with any company with such superlative customer service. Congratulations on 40 great years and here"s to the next 40!! :cheers:
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I just have to post this, all the Casio :cool:

[video:youtube]

Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

All possible credit to Casio. They sold me my wondrous PX5s and then helped me every step of the way as I learned to use it. I have never, in my life, dealt with any company with such superlative customer service. Congratulations on 40 great years and here"s to the next 40!! :cheers:

Ditto.

I remember seeing you when I was active in the PX5s FB group. That group, Casio, and Mike Martin were all a great help in getting me up and running on the PX..

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

I own a CASIO Privia Digital piano, with other features. I may not play it a whole lot, but the piano sound is way more realistic than the piano sounds, on those early 80"s CASIO Keyboards.

I have owned a number of CASIO keyboards over the years. I remember when the SK-1 came out. I had a friend who had one. We would sample our burps, or swear words. I even had an SK-5. Some of these early CASIO"s are fetching a bit of money, and people are buying them. Especially the SK samplers.

Also I remember the Rap Man.

My Casio is an old Casiotone CT-370. Still kind of fun, keys are really super light and brittle, but as long as you don't think of it as trying to replicate acoustic instruments, it's not bad.

Casio%20CT-370%20full.jpg

(internet photo)

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I do remember my Grandad having an MT-800 and their annoyance when taking out the ROM pack did not stop the demo tune from playing!, plus our school was all casio's in the music rool, CTK-601's iirc, later they were attached to PC's with Cubasis VST and Audigy2 sound cards.
Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

My first keyboards in 2003 were a Casio PT-80 and a Casio SA-39, later followed by a Casio SA-75. All gifts from my uncle who had a competitor brand keyboard that I played when I went to his house, it was a Yamaha PSS-270.

I also had a RadioShack keyboard which was my grandmother's which was a clone of the Casio LK-43.

I also have had the following: CTK-1100/3000/6200.

I now have these Casio models: CT-X3000, WK-7600, SK-1 (from a thrift shop for $4).

I always have wanted an older HT, CT, HZ, MT model or CZ-101/230s.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

• 2 weeks later...

Still have a VL-1 and it still works and I still love it.

The one I would REALLY like to find is the contemporaneous model that was made of metal and seemed to be not much larger than a credit card. VL-10, question mark, shrug?

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Still have a VL-1 and it still works and I still love it.

The one I would REALLY like to find is the contemporaneous model that was made of metal and seemed to be not much larger than a credit card. VL-10, question mark, shrug?

Yup.

1105.jpg.2177126b7a7a701bc9f538ce0deb16fa.jpg