Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need help with audio interface

Hello Dr. and esteemed colleagues. So I'm giving remote jamming a try, using Jamkazam to start. Right off the bat, they recommend using an audit interface (obviously much better to use a quality mic instead of the laptop mic).

So lo and behold, turns out I have an audio interface - the Radial Key Largo. Now, if I can just figure out how to use it with my gear! Easy enough to connect the KL to my laptop, and immediately Youtube videos start coming out of my QSC speakers, good! However, I'm trying to get my keyboards to come through my headphones (that are connected to the laptop). Not working. There must be an easy solve, but not sure what it is.

Current connections: KL connected to laptop via the USB type 2, my Nord to the KL, headphones plugged into the laptop. I also have my QSCs plugged into the KL, but I'm thinking that won't be needed, as the remote experience will be through headphones. It's possible that the KL is not the right setup for this.

Thank you for any assistance!

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What system is running on your laptop?

Setup will be different for Windows, Mac OS and Linux.

On a Mac you would need to open Audio MIDI setup and make your KL the default input. It sounds like it became the default output automatically. You may also need to adjust the input volume, I have a Neat Beecaster and I thought it was kind of lame sounding until I found that the Input volume was halfway down. Turning it all the way up and then adjusting the levels on the unit made a HUGE difference.

I am not familar with current versions of Windows and any versions of Linux. I'll just say that often stuff does not just automatically work. Good luck!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I think your Key Largo is being used as the system audio output. I'm not sure how one would actually monitor like what you are wanting, since you need a mix of the Key Largo audio and the computer audio. Do you have a small mixer that you can just have the audio outputs from the key largo go to and use headphones with that? I'm not familiar with the KL, but if it has multiple outputs, you might be able to send the computer audio to a different pair of outputs than the keyboards and then on the mixer route one to monitoring only and the others to your main mix/speakers.

I know on my Yamaha MG10XU I can have a USB input going only to the headphones/monitor mix while having all the mixer inputs going to the computer and main mix/speakers. Not that that's super helpful necessarily.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

What system is running on your laptop?

Setup will be different for Windows, Mac OS and Linux.

On a Mac you would need to open Audio MIDI setup and make your KL the default input. It sounds like it became the default output automatically. You may also need to adjust the input volume, I have a Neat Beecaster and I thought it was kind of lame sounding until I found that the Input volume was halfway down. Turning it all the way up and then adjusting the levels on the unit made a HUGE difference.

I am not familar with current versions of Windows and any versions of Linux. I'll just say that often stuff does not just automatically work. Good luck!

Thx Kuru. My laptop is a Windows, but I have an iPad as well. Not sure if that will work but I'll try hooking up.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I think your Key Largo is being used as the system audio output. I'm not sure how one would actually monitor like what you are wanting, since you need a mix of the Key Largo audio and the computer audio. Do you have a small mixer that you can just have the audio outputs from the key largo go to and use headphones with that? I'm not familiar with the KL, but if it has multiple outputs, you might be able to send the computer audio to a different pair of outputs than the keyboards and then on the mixer route one to monitoring only and the others to your main mix/speakers.

I know on my Yamaha MG10XU I can have a USB input going only to the headphones/monitor mix while having all the mixer inputs going to the computer and main mix/speakers. Not that that's super helpful necessarily.

hey MMMax thx for the ideas. The KL actually is a mixer, it happens to also be an audio interface. I also have another mixer (X-Air), I'll try out your ideas.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Tommy, you should also check YouTube for videos about the KL, and also see if the Radial website has any tutorials. I wish I could help, but I reviewed it when it came out and sent it back soon after, and my work was all done on a Mac. An iOS device would work equally easily, I'd bet, and it occurs to me that a KL might be a really fun interface for an iOS-based mobile rig...

I am by no means a qualified dispenser of advice on Windows audio (other than to suggest that you make sure the right driver is loaded), but Radial is proud enough of the KL's potential that I would imagine sorting things out would be a high priority. Good luck, and I will let you know if I come up with any solutions in my virtual travels.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music