Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia OB-Xa V

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might not have seen the expanded mod matrix that I posted as an image attachment, as they shrink in preview mode.

I skipped doing the one Felis did above regarding mod matrix sources, as I wasn't yet sure if there were more than just the five shown in the GUI and in the user manual, as in his snapshot.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Your screen shot shows some of the destinations available for the 4 mod section envelopes on the left side. Those are automated.

Three of the Inputs (Vel, AT, MW) to the mod matrix are physical sources that require input from the player - (not automated) sources.

Playing with the demo, I wasn't sure at first how much I liked it, but I think it's pretty good.

If they would have included release velocity as a source in the matrix, it'd be just about perfect.

I'll probably get it next time I update the collection.

I am not quite sure how that differs; the screenshot that I took is for the destinations, once you click the drop-list, in the image that you attached in your own post, from the Input Modulators Section. Is there another one elsewhere? I didn't see one in the user manual or the GUI, though I looked. It all seemed to be consolidated in this one place. But I also don't see MM1 through MM3 Cutoff as a choice. I'll check and see if it's already received a product update since I bought and installed it; this often is the case with new products.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Sundown was asking specifically if you can assign velocity to amplitude. I just showed him how to do it.

Vel, Key, AT, MW, and FEnv can be assigned in the mod matrix.

There are also four envelopes on the left side that can be used as automated modulators that don't require user input.

To see the three multi-mode filters, go into the fx section and set 3 slots to Multimode filter.

Then when you go back into the mod section, you'll see them listed as mm1, mm2, and mm3.

1052.thumb.png.23e5f53bad8ab770d7c85c2eda8e6311.png

1053.thumb.png.391cb91ca2195cb5b9eeee56459bcefb.png

Ah, that was not clear to me from the user manual, that the mod matrix destination choices morph according to what you have done elsewhere.

That's WAY more advanced than I would have expected from an emulation of a synth from that era, except maybe the Sequential Circuits Prophet VS.

As most were expecting no mod matrix at all, my own expectation was for a simple static assignment matrix vs. something akin to a DSI Prophet 12.

I'm actually surprised they would have allowed the initial release of this product to get slowed down by such a hefty feature, vs. waiting for an update!

Yep - I guess some of the destinations can change.

The fx filters caught my attention, and they won't show up as destinations unless you're using them.

But I haven't explored it enough yet to see if anything else works that same way.

I found some time to check this out over the weekend, but I found it a little harsh and just not sure where I would use it, so it's a pass for me. Maybe when there is a V Collection 8 I'll acquire it with a bundle of other synths, but I decided not to give Arturia a credit card to buy it. It was a good offer, though.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Meanwhile, over on Gearslutz, people are complaining because there's no actual patch called "Jump" in the preset banks. :-)

I post over there too. It's a little more chaotic. There's two threads about the UB-Xa V. This person definitely knows about the 'Jump' patch:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=14755773&postcount=154

Over here, Pim has a thread about it in the MPN Gear Lab section:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3044978/arturia-ob-xa-v-short-first-impression#Post3044978

He was talking about PWM, so I did a quick little mp3, but when I tried to post it here, I got a message that mp3 uploads aren't supported or something.

I don't have a soundcloud thing or somewhere to post it, and if I post it over there, I guess only people who have an account can access it.

It's only like 250kb or something, but I guess most people would want to post much bigger files - oh well.

Pulled the trigger for $49. Really liking it so far.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud