Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

who are your friends

what happens when the prostitutes and drug dealers from your neighborhood stick up for you more than your engineering school folks? maybe time to rethink? I think so.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes. The quarantine has forced many of us (I suspect) to several considerations about who are the people who really care. I also have contacted a bunch of friends who I had not heard for a while, and I was very glad I did... sometimes, making a first step can trigger a positive chain reaction. Viceversa, some of my long-term friends haven't called, even to say hello. Now, all these things belong to the natural flow of human behavior, and sometimes people are just too busy and/or worried... however, it's healthy to take stock every now and then.

what happens when the prostitutes and drug dealers from your neighborhood stick up for you more than your engineering school folks? maybe time to rethink? I think so.

It sounds like you can have a great party when the kids are at mom's. :w00t:

;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It sounds like you can have a great party when the kids are at mom's. :w00t:

;)

Well, that"s what happens when you bring together the Three Party Food Groups. Sex, drugs and rock 'n roll.

You forgot to "OT" the title.

This thread really resonates with me. Hookers and drug dealers, not so much, but if we take a tiny step up the social ladder to musicians, it's true in spades.

My best-of-best friends have always been the people I made music with. That kind of bond that can't be found in my (legal) work environment. I've made friends in my profession, but those friendships are water-soluble. A little adversity and they're gone . . .

Some people wonder what's the big deal with being a weekend warrior musician. They would rather I did something with better hours, like golf. They don't fully grasp how much humanity it adds to life.

Dan, I know we all have to try to support the economy, but stay away from those ladies of the evening. They are unsafe surfaces.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

You forgot to "OT" the title.

Dan, I know we all have to try to support the economy, but stay away from those ladies of the evening. They are unsafe surfaces.

The same is certainly true of drug dealers as well. No telling who's touched their cash or their stash.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

With a couple of small exceptions, all my closest friends in CA are musicians. If we're hanging out and you're not my neighbor or current girlfriend or another parent at some school event, you are 100% certain to be someone I know through music.

My closest music friends--the people I play with and see the most--are my closest friends. Some of these folks are very different from me in their political and other leanings, and we just all know that and do the "40-Year-Old Virgin" thing of calling each other misguided d-bags for a few minutes and then just moving on like it never happened and making plans to get together again ASAP. It's even part of the bond in some cases.

Then there's another circle of musicians where we're sort of "music neighbors"--people I love finding out will be on gigs, will have a great time hanging out with on breaks, but won't see again or talk to until the next gig. Among them, I tend to stay away from topics I know are going to push us into a minefield, based on what I know about someone. I'd rather just keep it on solid ground and not get out over our skis. If they ask, I'll engage, but it's easier just to talk about women and comedy.

Then there's a third group, the relatively large subset of the music community here who are hardcore [opposite worldview from mine]. This crew take a bit of gung-ho pride in trolling those they think might disagree with their bearing. Among those, almost all have been excised from my social media circle in the last three months. I have too great a commitment to "value" over "price," to give over the psychic space to folks I would otherwise find relatively reprehensible. Sure, if the call comes, we can do a gig together, and I'm good enough at setting boundaries to keep it from being contentious. But that's it. Beyond that, particularly now, "you're banned."

Back in NY...different story. My friends were people I grew up with + people I worked with at some point + the strippers from the club I lived above. Almost no musicians, relatively speaking. Talk about strange bedfellows...

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Engineering graduates might be envious, where as musicians, drug dealers and hoes are all in entertainment.

We"re pretty much content with each other"s biz.

Maybe get your Engineering bros" a hook up with a hoe and enjoy some strange.

That and a big beak packing might change their perspective...

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Bottom line thing for me.

My friends are people I trust. This is based on their behavior.

They only get one chance, if they betray my trust but are useful to me they become acquaintences.

If they betray my trust and I can do fine without them, they are gone. Simple.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Maybe we're drifting off topic here, but I never imagined a world in which you couldn't seek refuge in your vices. Is virtuosity still to be admired when there is no alternative?

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

If you want to KEEP your friends.......Avoid:

Going in a for profit business with them

Ask or borrow money from them

Get romantically involved with them or any member of their family

Just a thought

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.