Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Syntronik 99 -- SY99-like samples

Hey all,

I mentioned recently that I bought IK Multimedia's DCO-X library for Syntronik Free and SampleTank 4 CS (you have to have those free applications installed to use the sounds).

Well, I'm a sucker for the Yamaha SY99 and they have a library emulating that instrument as well (Syntronik 99). With discount points, etc., I think I paid less than forty bucks.

Mind you, this library doesn't emulate the actual SY synth engine. You only have the Syntronik subtractive parameters, but those are quite good for shaping and tweaking sounds. The filters and LFOs are very capable. The sample library also doesn't have the original SY presets. The bundled sounds are like the SY99 for copyright reasons.

But I do really enjoy playing it and it's a heck of a bargain.

The only personal gripe I have is that there are probably 15 FM EP's too many (one would be too many). Maybe that sound is just expected to be included or maybe some folks actually like it, but it's just cringeworthy to me.

But the rest of the library is great. Enjoy.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was about to start a new thread, but might as well ask here.

Does anyone have any info on when the SY77/99 or actual SY77/99 patches were used in "popular" songs? Other patches from relatively similar synths from the era (DX7, D-50, M1, Wavestation etc.) are easier to pinpoint, but in my opinion not these.

Was it not as popular, was it a "flop"? I know Corea used one and featured heavily on the ads, but he's been endorsed by them since the 80's or even earlier.

U0B1J8f.jpg

I remember that ad...saw that tour and had that album in heavy rotation. Chick had a song titled '99 Flavors' dedicated to the synth.

I remember it having good feel. Can"t say whether a flop or not. I toured with a guy still using it in 2006 and I was impressed it still turned on.

Regardless, Syntronik is a good deal. $49 for deluxe version right now.

I was about to start a new thread, but might as well ask here.

Does anyone have any info on when the SY77/99 or actual SY77/99 patches were used in "popular" songs? Other patches from relatively similar synths from the era (DX7, D-50, M1, Wavestation etc.) are easier to pinpoint, but in my opinion not these.

Was it not as popular, was it a "flop'?

It wasn"t nearly as popular as the Korgs and Rolands at the time. It"s become a cult classic many years after it"s release and build-out.

Even though it had samples, filters, and effects, the market wasn"t looking for another FM synth from Yamaha. Once we had a break from it, it"s now cool and unique again.

Sundown

It wasn"t nearly as popular as the Korgs and Rolands at the time.

Even though it had samples, filters, and effects, the market wasn"t looking for another FM synth from Yamaha.

It was more expensive than it's competition at the time, and also more difficult to program. Those were the 2 biggest obstacles I faced when trying to sell one.

People who did buy them purchased a very elegant keyboard. That's the best way I could describe it. I gigged with one for a short while (I could say that about most any keyboard produced during the 90's, however).

99 Flavors by Chick Corea came as a sequence on a floppy disk to help produce sales. Helped a lot.

:nopity:

Please start a new thread on that; at very least it would be easier to find later on. :)

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

It was more expensive than it's competition at the time, and also more difficult to program. Those were the 2 biggest obstacles I faced when trying to sell one.

People who did buy them purchased a very elegant keyboard. That's the best way I could describe it. I gigged with one for a short while (I could say that about most any keyboard produced

Very true... A Wavestation was about $2,200-$2,300, a Roland D-70 was about the same, and I think the SY77 was around $2,700 (if memory serves). The SY99 would be more expensive than that, given the extra keys.

The Korg T-series was *much* more expensive, but I don't think those came along until a bit later.

Sundown

The SY77 and SY99 were more popular in Asia. Especially Indonesia, India, China, and Vietnam, they loved those FM sounds back in the 90"s.

They loved the sitar preset and used it alongside the DX7, D-50, S-50, and M1 among other gear.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RNUYS0itrVE

These have some SY77 (as well as D-50, M1, and DX7).

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.