Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

We live in sad times

Watching a now legendary local late night TV programme Rage which goes out from midnight to dawn on Friday and Saturday nights. Usually Friday nights are current music vids and Saturday night with a guest programmer that can feature an eclectic mix from the 60's to now covering every genre.

Lately instead of Friday nights going staight into "new" music they have been showing retrospectives on musos from all over the planet that have died in the last week. Not all CV related deaths but the added deaths from CV certainly hammers home the fragility of human life.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I, for one, never imagined my musical heroes dying of cancer. Drugs? Fast cars? The occasional plane crash or jealous husband? Sure. But cancer?

Now we've got Covid and it just adds another measure of the mundane to our losses. How and why should we be dying of some confounded germ? That's not...I dunno...it's just not a "rock 'n roll" death, you know?

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Pandemics are nothing new. The Black Plague killed something like 50 million people, 60% of the population of Europe. Not sure that counts all the people that surely died as a result of losing their fathers and mothers etc.

Europe was also pretty much deforested at at least one point many hundreds of years ago, and I read one study that said pre-industrial-age wood burning is still warming the earth (to go with everything we've done since!)

That said, it's certainly true that encroaching on nature (and the animals in it) is probably behind many recent diseases. And the bigger point is, yeah we have messed with bull since forever and we can sometimes get the horns :)

The sad part to me is that we have the benefit of information and hindsight like never before. Yet it is used to misinform as much as inform. Not to mention that to truly be prepared for a pandemic or any large-scale disaster, it takes money and resources that frankly nobody wants to spend. How many companies half-ass their disaster recover planning and practices for the same reason...and when a disaster hits, whoops. I've worked in IT for decades, seen it all happen and it's like a train you can see from miles away yet you are stuck to the tracks :D

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting you mention the Black Plague. A year or so ago we visited the village of Eyam in England. The residents self isolated during the Black Plague to avoid spreading the infection. The road into the village was blocked by a stone wall and a cairn erected at the wall. The villages would leave coins in the cairn overnight and those outside would take the coins and leave food. Excellent novel by Geraldine Brooks "The Wonder Years" describing these times.

Not a lot has changed 400 years on.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

There is no shortage in depressing news and seemingly impossible circumstances.

There is a way to lift one self from what we are surrounded with.

Our grandparents lifted themselves from prior pandemics, World Wars.

In those eras are examples where an attitude of self sacrifice and adaptation existed.

I provided an Off topic, suggesting we can control our destiny.

I strongly believe that circumstances one year from today will be much improved.

Oprah and other philosophers have asserted that you are what you believe.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

In the pandemic of 1918 the number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States. Mortality was high in people younger than 5 years old, 20-40 years old, and 65 years and older. There are more of us today, but we've made advancements on many fronts - hopefully enough to get where we need to be sooner. But we have to expect 1 to 2 years before it's no longer the thing on our collective minds.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

In the pandemic of 1918 the number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States. Mortality was high in people younger than 5 years old, 20-40 years old, and 65 years and older. There are more of us today, but we've made advancements on many fronts - hopefully enough to get where we need to be sooner. But we have to expect 1 to 2 years before it's no longer the thing on our collective minds.

Yep sadly I think you're exactly right - I often think what it must have been like even back in WW2 with what was going on and how long it was that life 'as normal' was suspended.

Oprah and other philosophers

:wink:

Manilow and other composers . . .

GregC, you actually made me chuckle at 7 am. That's not easy. Thanks.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Oprah and other philosophers

:wink:

Manilow and other composers . . .

GregC, you actually made me chuckle at 7 am. That's not easy. Thanks.

Oprah is an effective speaker. And successful at this thing called life.

Manilow is also successful in a very difficult, million to one business.

I have high regard for individuals who succeed thru adverse circumstances.

Just the same, I am glad you enjoyed the post.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Okay. How about

• Dylan and other singers?
  • Starr and other percussionists?
  • (Sooner or later, someone that knows me will include "Williams and other keyboardists" in that category. Rats.)

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Okay. How about

• Dylan and other singers?
  • Starr and other percussionists?
  • (Sooner or later, someone that knows me will include "Williams and other keyboardists" in that category. Rats.)

:D

Nord Lead and other keyboards?