Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is MPN a Secure Site?

I had to reset my router this morning and change passwords - not fun to say the least. Things appear back to normal although I see an indication in Firefox that this site is not secure. Haven't come across this with any other sites. Apologies if this has been discussed before although I suspect it may be related to my early morning activities.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't find the posts/thread ATM, but when "we" took over the site, there was discussion about this. IIRC, they tried to make it secure, but then that broke a bunch of stuff like the links to YT videos and things like that. Since the only thing that's at all critical would be the password you use for this site, I think they decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

IIRC. :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have had loads of warnings about this site whilst attempting to log in. There is clearly a problem somewhere and it can't be long before a fake KC pops up; complete with several threads discussing the pointlessness of discussing how pointless it is to discuss how pointless it is to discuss pointless things.....

And several more threads selling guitar repelling face masks...... :rawk:

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

As MPN uses the HTTP protocol instead of HTTPS, passwords are transmitted across the wire in plaintext. That makes it relatively easy for bad guys to read them, so

Don't

Ever

Reuse

Your

Password

(A bad guy will not be interested in impersonating you on KC, but on other services.)

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Ah, I guess I hadn't noticed until now. Thanks everyone. Except for xKnuckles-not so much. :cop:

:roll::wave:

:wah: :wah: :wah: :wah: :wah:

Does this mean that you might not be placing an order for your mask today?

Highest possible quality....

Highest possible GDP. (Guitarist Deterrent Potential.... :rawk: )

Not to worry..... I am confident there may still be a few left in stock tomorrow....when you have had time to reconsider... :D

(Ya know, I reallly tried to spare the rest of the forum but...)

Despite your advice from the other day to first complete those things you like the least, I"m certain to crastinate this. However this decision brings in no income and I"m way to humble to call myself a pro-crastinator.

:gofish:

I can't find the posts/thread ATM, but when "we" took over the site, there was discussion about this. IIRC, they tried to make it secure, but then that broke a bunch of stuff like the links to YT videos and things like that. Since the only thing that's at all critical would be the password you use for this site, I think they decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

IIRC. :idk:

Exactly. If we want to break 20 years of video links, we can convert to https any time. Speed was an issue as well the first time we tried it...but we were sharing a server then, and now we have our own. I manually approve every request for membership as well (we get some every day), which seems to help some.

The way we've chosen to handle this is to basically leave the forum itself alone, and do pretty much everything else we want to do with the musicplayernetwork.com site, which IS secure.

Make sense?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

They all should still work fine...that's the point. The moment we switch to https, every Youtube link for the last 20 years is immediately broken.

Besides the frustrating lack of content even though you can still see what the video should be, the broken link looks goofy. We were set to https for a few days after The Great Migration of 2019 - didn't dig it.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

The only reason it could matter if this isn't a secure site is if you're using the same password here that you use for your bank.

Otherwise, I just had a weird thing happen this morning. I use a VPN and just for kicks I'll switch server locations so this morning I logged in from San Francisco. When I went to YouTube I get this Google message saying someone may have hacked my system so I had to solve a Captcha problem to continue to YT. I did that and it was good then I got to thinking what the heck was that? I decided to do a restart then try YT again and I get the same thing then it hit me I changed my VPN location so I changed it to LA. No problem, YT is now happy with me. The thing is I moved 125 miles out of LA 3 years ago...

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

(Ya know, I reallly tried to spare the rest of the forum but...)

Despite your advice from the other day to first complete those things you like the least, I"m certain to crastinate this. However this decision brings in no income and I"m way to humble to call myself a pro-crastinator.

:gofish:

No guitar repelling mask for you then.....No worries: I understand your reasoning.... Try not to fret about it....