Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: So who "borrowed" from who...

With recent talk in places of copying etc etc, and a saying I once read read that went " good performers borrow ideas" and "great ones steal" ( although I suspect that was tongue-in-cheek ;) ) I was re-listening to The Beatles Yellow Submarine this morning and the track All Too Much, and at 4.12 I got quite a shock as I'd never realised this line was in the song Sorrow, Bowie released 1973, All Too Much was release 1968...

Not sure how to truncate the video to the 4:12 mark so if you are interested, just jump to that spot. If it's been covered before on the forum sorry :) it just "jumped" out at me this morning hahaha! The things we miss sometimes hey! ;)

[video:youtube]

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With recent talk in places of copying etc etc, and a saying I once read read that went " good performers borrow ideas" and "great ones steal" ( although I suspect that was tongue-in-cheek ;) )

That line was talking about improvisors not songs.

Whatever... it was a piece of whimsy on a Sunday morning haha !

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Along the same lines: Which came first - Buffalo Soldier or The Banana Splits Theme?

We may lose you international guys on this one. The Banana Splits was a Saturday morning kids show when we were growing up. Check out the main hook in the theme, then listen to the hook around the two minute mark in Bob Marley's Buffalo Soldier.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Along the same lines: Which came first - Buffalo Soldier or The Banana Splits Theme?

dB

This has robbed me of my sleep for decades... :laugh:

The first Banana Splits show was broadcast on September 7, 1968, presumably the theme was written well in advance of that date.

Buffalo Soldier was recorded in 1978. Maybe it was Bob's favorite televison show?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

With recent talk in places of copying etc etc, and a saying I once read read that went " good performers borrow ideas" and "great ones steal" ( although I suspect that was tongue-in-cheek ;) )

Slight opinion difference with you. I like attributing it to Stravinsky, but other contemporaries said it too; my favorite version of the quote is "Lesser artists borrow; great artists steal." Stravinsky's intent in the musical context was about reusing others' motifs and themes. If you're going to do it, make it your own vision, and don't apologize.

Thus Vaughan Williams (no relation) did okay to grab Greensleeves and merge it with Lovely Joan, and we love his "composing"; when Keith Emerson turned Lovely Joan into "Touch and Go", it was still great work. Both are the level of artistry I would praise as "theft." :)

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

dB

The first Banana Splits show was broadcast on September 7, 1968, presumably the theme was written well in advance of that date.

Buffalo Soldier was recorded in 1978. Maybe it was Bob's favorite televison show?

One of them...who can say. :idk:

We also don't know when he wrote Buffalo Soldier, do we? :confused:

Mysteries of the damn universe, man. :puff:

dB

Slight opinion difference with you. I like attributing it to Stravinsky, but other contemporaries said it too; my favorite version of the quote is "Lesser artists borrow; great artists steal." Stravinsky's intent in the musical context was about reusing others' motifs and themes. If you're going to do it, make it your own vision, and don't apologize.

Thus Vaughan Williams (no relation) did okay to grab Greensleeves and merge it with Lovely Joan, and we love his "composing"; when Keith Emerson turned Lovely Joan into "Touch and Go", it was still great work. Both are the level of artistry I would praise as "theft." :)

Believe it or not Tom, none of the folks attributed with saying this ever did - well, at least, there is no evidence they did. However there IS for the T. S. Eliot dictum: 'Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different" so I guess others have simply borrowed that and made it their own ;)

@dB haha yeah pretty clear too! The thing that struck me was I had never ever put those two together (Beatles/Bowie) before this morning - just goes to show how much attention I paid to "All Too Much" hahaha!

dB

One of them...who can say. :idk:

We also don't know when he wrote Buffalo Soldier, do we? :confused:

Mysteries of the damn universe, man. :puff:

dB

I guess we will never know...

Who put the bomp

In the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?

Who put the ram

In the rama lama ding dong?

Who put the bop

In the bop shoo bop shoo bop?

Who put the dip

In the dip da dip da dip?

Either. Danggit!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Uh, no borrowing here --- Bowie was performing a cover of a song written in 1965 and previously recorded by the McCoys among others. So in fact Lennon did quote that song on the Yellow Submarine album.

- Jimbo

Cool, thanks! Never heard of the McCoys haha!

This leads to the medleyable song thing. I love being able to wander back and forth from one song to the next. It's not just similar chord changes - obviously has to be an interchangeable groove, too.

A current fave is ELO's Can't Get It Out Of My Head and The Beatles' Something.

dB

We may lose you international guys on this one. The Banana Splits was a Saturday morning kids show when we were growing up.

Dave no havent lost me

as an Aussie yes we did get the Banana Splitz over here.

Whats more important to me than their music is years later i tracked down an actual example of their 6 wheel buggy over here. Rare

In the mid 80s was i stoked. A non runner but It had a big 2 stroke in it which any big 2 stroke is very rare here in aussie although common in US.

The day i finally got the motor to fire my guitarist was standing watching me (non mechanically minded type) who said the look on my face when it fired up was priceless or more of shock.

For the Aussies i also had a Repco 6 wheel buggy which had a lovely miniature Sach Wankle rotary motor.

To me this was the beauty of the Banana Splitz the most awesome 6 wheel buggy

Both these buggies were very rare here.

Therefore i loved the Splitz for their vehicle. Hee hee

1 Banana 2 Banana 3 banana 4

Sorry off topic hee hee

Uh, no borrowing here --- Bowie was performing a cover of a song written in 1965 and previously recorded by the McCoys among others. So in fact Lennon did quote that song on the Yellow Submarine album.

- Jimbo

The Mersey's version released in 1966 charted in the UK at number 4 and in Australia in the same year. Probably the best known version until Bowie covered it.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P