Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Integra - pianos & levels

Hello all,

Just a few issues I would appreciate your thoughts on regarding the Roland Integra.

Pianos

Any advice on getting a really good grand piano tone that cuts through? I am spoilt with the pianos on my Nord, and not expecting that level but still want something decent. I know it is subjective, but wondered how people have got on? I quite like some of the older samples on boards like RD600, FP4... pianos with a bit of bite to them but struggling to find anything on the Integra so far. I"ve loaded SRX11 and SRX02 and have tried a number of Supernatural tones. Personally, I am finding all piano samples to sound quite muffled. I can EQ things but wondered what anyone would advise? Or should I swap it for something like the Dexibell SX7?

Levels

The volume levels of different samples varies massively. It is a nightmare when switching sounds.

The pianos, especially SN ones, are a lot quieter than, for example, the organs. Any way of standardising the volumes short of buying a midi volume meter?

Switching setups

Any quick way or doing this? At the moment, I find I have to hit MENU then STUDIO SET SELECT, then scroll, then hit ENTER. Surely there is a quicker way?

Thanks all

ps I have tried my best with the manual!

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your mention of "cuts through" makes me think you play in a rock/pop band, and that on some songs you need your AP sound to be heard along with many other sounds, but without stepping on top of them.

There are some piano sounds from Roland that really suck when you listen to them by themselves at home, but work perfectly for certain repetitive parts in a covers band. Try PCM 1 (128VoicePno). I suggest you put it in a studio set so you can reduce its sustain. Don't listen to it at home any longer than required, to get its default sustain reduced properly in your studio set. Don't play it again until you are at rehearsal with your full band. Then use it on some song like "China Grove", "Johnny B Goode", or any song that has a similar repetitive chucka-chucka part in its chorus. Don't make your final judgement on this AP sound until you have completed this test with your full band. Note that there are songs where this AP sound won't work - when we started rehearsing "Carry On My Wayward Son", the suckiness of this AP sound became quickly apparent during the rehearsal, and I switched to one of the other AP sounds in the Roland. (I have an FA-07, which has the same Supernatural and PCM sounds available in it as the Integra-7). Any song where the AP sounds are more prominent, or played with little else going on, will need something other than 128VoicePno.

I also have tried the SRX-11 in my old Roland XV-5050, but I never switched over to using its AP sounds in gigs. Because my FA-07 only allows me to download and use 2 PCM expansion cards at once, I don't even have it loaded in my FA-07. The EXP-02 is the real keeper - I cannot live without it - it contains the sounds from the old SRX-07 expansion card. I don't use its AP sounds, but use many other sounds on it. I also like some of the EP sounds in the EXP-05 (which contains the sounds from the old SRX-12 expansion card).

I have a Nord Electro 3, so I have experience with trying to find Nord AP sounds that work in a covers band, which is an interesting challenge if you run in mono. My Electro's organ sounds and EP sounds have caused me to use my Electro for those, and to not use my Roland for these except for one song where I want a very thin organ sound. Even when comparing to the EP sounds in my Roland FA-07 from the EXP-05, I find the EP sounds in my Electro 3 are much better.

Switching setups

Any quick way or doing this? At the moment, I find I have to hit MENU then STUDIO SET SELECT, then scroll, then hit ENTER. Surely there is a quicker way?

Hi

Have you seen this article about Type 2 display for the Studio Sets ?

https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201973829-Integra-7-Selecting-Studio-Sets

Trying it out as well as using forScore for Studio Set program changes.

M

CP4 Stage | Integra-7

Switching setups

Hi

Have you seen this article about Type 2 display for the Studio Sets ?

https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201973829-Integra-7-Selecting-Studio-Sets

Trying it out as well as using forScore for Studio Set program changes.

M

Nice one! Thanks for this. Really appreciate your help

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3