Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

need some advice here

I would appreciate some comments on the studiologic sledge 2.0...â¦...how does this keyboard compare to a Minimoog, OB, or a Prophet 5. I'm really looking for some nice pads and some nice lead sounds. looking for fat sounding leads and pads. I am not interested in atmospheric type of sounds with buzzes and bleeps. I am very interested in the Behringer Poly D, but don't feel like shelling out the pre-order money and not knowing the delivery date. I have Arturia V-Collection 7 that has the Minimoog plug-in and that's why I was thinking about the Sledge. hope I receive a good amount of information from everyone. thank you in advance.....Larry

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're not a tone purist, it gets you 80-90% of the way to most sounds you'd want to create from those classic analogs. Keybed feels good, nice big panel, plus fun wavetable stuff as well. Doesn't feel extremely sturdy, but it is well constructed. Great bang for the buck. It's done me good, although I would move on from it if I had the cash to afford a shinier, better sounding synth.

I had one for a while. Majascule hits it on the head. If you appreciate it for what it is, it'll be fine. But if you are comparing it to the P6 or OB6, there is definitely a difference, in tone, construction and playability. Especially in tone.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

It's competent synth no doubt, but as others have said, I would not compare it to a Minimoog, Prophet or Obie, because of each of those has a unique raw tone. The Deepmind would be a better choice sonically (imo) at that price point but it's only four octaves. If you get the Sledge, you might very pleased with it's other functionality (such as wavetables) because it really is a capable synth in it's own terms.

I don't have extensive experience but it's mostly a souped-up Juno IIRC (and does it well). I'll defer to others on its performance in Moog/OB/Prophet land. If you go with the keyboard version and play on small stages, the DM certainly has an advantage on the Sledge there. The Sledge's nice big panel and full 61 keys does take up a fair bit of real estate.

Geoff Downes uses a Sledge for the Minimoog parts with Yes, so it may be more suitable for that than you think. (Unless he was using it to trigger a laptop or something.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Geoff Downes uses a Sledge for the Minimoog parts with Yes, so it may be more suitable for that than you think. (Unless he was using it to trigger a laptop or something.)

True. Last time I saw him with Yes, Chris Squire was still alive. Geoff played the Minimoog part during "And You and I" on the Sledge. No one walked out because he wasn't playing a vintage Mini.

:nopity:

Sledge is a better outright synth IMO than DM12. They both have plus and neg though.

DM - is an analogue synth, but its single osc really (well 1.5). Its only 4 octaves but has a ton of FX, a programmable arp and sequencer. Kibnd of needs the FX to sound nice - core sound isnt that great IMO.

Sledge - Is VA but its follows a full synth layout - twin osc etc and the core sound is good despite being VA. Has some nice wavetables, is 61 key and the keybed itself is nicer. Doesnt have as many or as tweekable FX, nor the sequencer.

Both are good for the money, just depends where your preferences lie.

Roland RD2000, FA07 (soon to be Fantom7), Legend EXP, Peak, Virus Ti2 Desktop.

One thing not mentioned is that the Sledge is unusual in its ability to load samples. Kind of makes it a poor man's Nord Wave, and it's also another way you might get some other classic vintage style (and other) sounds into it. Here's a third-party sound-pack that seems pretty nice...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

any suggestions or comments.

Two very capable synths have been discussed here with the awesome insights typical of this community. You are choosing between good and good, Larry. :thu:

Would you care to share more about your situation and perhaps we can better fit the synth to the person? For example, would you be comfortable diving under the hood of the synth, or would you rely on presets? Do you like to "play the front panel" of a synth? Also, you mention the Arturia Mini but none of the other instruments in the V-collection, which is interesting. What would you like a hardware synth to do for you that your soft synths don't?