Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help! New Tablet Time - Android or Apple?

Help! It's time for a decent tablet. So...I see pros and cons for both.

First, I don't need/want a laptop replacement. I want something fun for listening to music, watching videos, storing all my user manuals, etc. Seems Fire has a huge price advantage because I'm not paying for functionality I don't need.

Second, I know that for mobile device audio latency, anything Apple outperforms anything Android. But I have an iPhone 7, so if I want to fire up a virtual instrument or do GarageBand - which I almost never do - I'm covered. But, there may also be an advantage for staying within the Apple ecosystem if I have both an Apple phone and tablet.

Then there's the world of tablets - different size screens, different amounts of memory, and for Android, lots of different manufacturers although it seems Amazon is pitching specifically to the more consumer end of the spectrum. The Samsung Galaxy Tab A looks pretty good - $140, 8" screen, 32 GB. But would the Fire HD 10" screen make me happier?

So...

What are you using?

What do you like about it?

What don't you like?

What do you wish it had that you're kicking yourself for not getting?

Would you recommend it to a friend?

Help!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a Galaxy Tab S2. I had an iPad but found it to be a major PITA to get non-apple files on or off the iPad.

Something as simple as a picture file from my Windows computer required me to upload to the cloud and download to the iPad. On the Galaxy I use a USB flash drive with a standard USB on one end and mini on the other.

I bought lightning to USB and a few other hardware/software things and none of them worked.

I'll elaborate: A couple of years ago I spend 5 weeks in Australia and wanted to show the pictures I took with my Panasonic Lumix camera to my sister. I had almost 800 pictures, it took a couple of minutes to get them on a Windows computer (drag and drop) and more than a few days to get them on my iPad. I couldn't go directly from camera to iPad or Windows to iPad or flash drive to iPad, but had to go to the Win computer, upload to the cloud and download to the iPad.

For me the Apple ecosystem is the biggest disadvantage to their products. YMMV. In a world where most things are universal and interchangeable, Apple seems to want to stick to exclusivity and trap you into their jail-eco-system so you can never-ever leave.

I think if you are happy with being exclusively Apple and never-ever see yourself leaving the iPad is a good choice. It's a fine piece of hardware, but the Galaxy Tab is nicer - an unfair comparison because my Tab is a few years newer and technology speeds on.

NOTE: I don't use music apps on the tablet, so I have no idea about the latency question. I thought I would use it for music apps, but I have so much connected to my Windows computer that the iPad was almost useless in comparison. Although I found Garage Band fun until I got bored with its limitations.

Basically, all I use my tablet for is couch surfing.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Good observations, Notes. The deal with Apple is if you're all in, things mostl;y work, until there's an OS change that makes what you have obsolete and you need to shell out money for hardware. The Android side is chaotic, but inexpensive and open.

Basically, I'm looking for a couch-surfing kind of tablet, where nothing is mission-critical. Apple's security is nowhere near as good as they'd like you to think, and it irks me they believe that not admitting to something means it doesn't exist, but there's no way I'd ever do electronic banking on Android.

Still wondering about specific models, though, like Fire HD 10 vs. Samsung Galaxy Tab A.

I wouldn't use either one without a VPN, nor would I use the built in browser (IMO = voluntary spyware). On Android Firefox, Duck Duck Go and Brave get pretty good browser security ratings in PC Mag. Of course gear-mags can also be ad mags so it's best not to count on only one.

I don't use a lot of apps on my tablet either. My home page isn't even filled with icons. I disable a lot of the built-in apps if I can't delete them.

Since for me it's just for couch surfing, I don't need much other than a few browsers.

Of course, I couch surf at home where I have computers to do anything more complex than reading a paper or e-magazine and going to the NOAA hurricane site (I life in Florida and the H season is coming).

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

I bought a new iPad last year. I actually went to a Wal-Mart to get it because they were on sale for $250 if I remember right. It's the normal size one with, I believe, 32g but the price was right and it's all I need. For quite a few years now I've primarily stuck with Apple stuff probably more for the sake of consistency but I do prefer my Macs when it comes to music apps.

I have an iPad that I'm very happy with. I can use garage band, yamaha's smart piano, irealpro, forScore, and other apps with no problems. Connects to my Yamaha P-121 with no problems. I would definitely got with it again.

So which iPads are you using? There's the iPad Air, regular iPad, iPad Pro, iPad Mini, and they have different capabilities...wi-fi only, wi-fi+cellular, different amounts of memory. Like for the iPad, you can get 32 GB but is that enough? There's no 64 GB, you then need to jump to 128 GB, which is $100 more.

Looking them over, it seems a lot of the iPad thing these days is computer replacement, which I don't need. It seemd that upgrading to an iPhone 11 from my iPhone 7+ would give me most of what the iPad offers, so that could be a stealth approach - better iPhone, cheap Android tablet, and hope my MacBook Pro has a few more years left in it.

So which iPads are you using?

I'm certain mine is the same as this although it's possible there could be an update since I bought mine: Space Gray

I worried at first whether 32G would be enough but the price was right, wifi is all I need, and I primarily only use it for checking the weather, kindle reading and some web surfing. It's also nice to have along when we go on Harley vacations. I still have an older gen 4 one that is now dedicated to my music app stuff but even then I mostly just use it for our set list. I never liked the small screen for any type of serious music creation and found it unnecessary because I have the computers for that.

Help! It's time for a decent tablet. So...I see pros and cons for both.

First, I don't need/want a laptop replacement. I want something fun for listening to music, watching videos, storing all my user manuals, etc. Seems Fire has a huge price advantage because I'm not paying for functionality I don't need.

What are you using?

What do you like about it?

What don't you like?

What do you wish it had that you're kicking yourself for not getting?

Would you recommend it to a friend?

Help!

I'm not familiar with the Android community but in the iPad community, the number of users who are using an iPad as a laptop replacement is very much in the minority. Most use the iPad as a complementary device rather than as as a replacement.

I got my first iPad when my Macbook Pro died - headphone jack stopped working, fan stopped working, goodbye motherboard. Macbook Pros in that time were heavier than today's models so I thought to replace the laptop with an iMac and get an iPad instead of another laptop for travel and sketching out music and stuff on the go.

I got my 2nd and most-used iPad (iPad Pro) after Apple switched to 64-bit IOS and just about all the developers of my favorite apps followed suit. So having to buy another iPad because of the new OS and addiction to IOS apps was a downside. Another downside is filesystem navigation. The introduction of the Files app was a huge improvement, but there are still some possible confusion if an app that you like doesn't place nicely with Files/iPadOS - an example is Drambo which saves files either to iCloud or the /Documents folder on local iPad... and Documents does not show by default in Files.

Another possible annoyance is no support for aggregate MIDI interfaces, just aggregate audio.

Random things I like about my iPad Pro/iPad:

- I can easily bring it with me to my workout area and play streaming exercise programs on it while following along

- After I had eye surgery and was required to keep my face pointed to the floor virtually all the time, it was nice to put the iPad on a box or something and watch movies and stuff while maintaining face-down position.

- A number of music creation apps exploit the multitouch screen for a nice user experience (Animoog, Moog Model 15, Geoshred, Thumbjam, Borderlands Granular, iDensity)

- Airdrop makes wireless file transfer between desktop/laptop Mac and iPad super easy

Current iPad Pro model has USB-C connector, which is a plus for some peeps. The other models don't seem to have it though.

No I would not recommend it to just any friend. Some friends would only want to use a tablet for couch-surfing, not music - Android should be a better value for the money for them, but I have no idea what the pros/cons really are other than price.

So which iPads are you using?

I have a 9.7 inch iPad 6th gen, wi-fi only, 32 GB. 32 GB is plenty for me -- I don't store many audio or video files on the iPad. And wifi is fine for my needs. In fact, our singer has a wireless IEM system that we use, and I was able to download an app that allows me to control the mix I receive via wifi.

but in the iPad community, the number of users who are using an iPad as a laptop replacement is very much in the minority. Most use the iPad as a complementary device rather than as as a replacement.

I also use the iPad as a complementary device, as sometimes it can be less fun to navigate with the iPad. Fortunately, though, it does everything I need for gigs. For home use, I use a Mac.

Another downside is filesystem navigation. The introduction of the Files app was a huge improvement, but there are still some possible confusion if an app that you like doesn't place nicely with Files/iPadOS - an example is Drambo which saves files either to iCloud or the /Documents folder on local iPad... and Documents does not show by default in Files.

And I also agree that the filesystem navigation can sometimes be a hassle. I've actually never been a fan of the way Apple stores files.

To further confuse the issue. --- What about Microsoft Surface? I have no experience but they seem to consistently have good ratings. And they are compatible with everything but Apple. They run a version of Win10 so if you use Win at home you'll be more compatible. I'm not sure if Macs and iOS are as compatible - someone clue me in so I'll know please.

On the other hand, if you have many paid apps on your iPhone, you won't have to buy them again to put them on your iPad, they'll just work.

Having both an iPad and a Galaxy/Android tablet, I can tell you that some things work better on the iPad and others work better on Android.

My local Fort Pierce FL newspaper works much better on the Android. On the iPad I load the page, log in, wait ... the Stuart news loads, wait..., then I have to hit editions, wait..., choose the Ft Pierce news, choose the date I want and then it loads. On Android I log in, wait..., Stuart opens but with a drop down box that I click for Ft. Pierce which instantly loads.

It's about a minute and a half time saved every morning.

But like I said, others worked better on the iPad.

Perhaps if there is an apple and android store near you, there could be a way for you to test the sites you surf and see. I know 'try before you buy' is so old fashioned, but it's more reliable than what I or anyone else has to say.

In the long run, you'll be happy with either one and you'll never know which you prefer unless you get them both.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Notes, I have zero experience in this but there is a software for Mac - Parallels - that runs a full version of Windows on a Mac. It's been around for a few years so apparently it works and there is a market for it.

So Surface should be compatible with that at least.

I am still hobbiling along with a $30 Android phone so the mobile market is an unknown to me. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I'm due for an upgrade but my 1st generation iPad Air, has worked for everything - that includes DJ'ing, being a sound module, drum machine, playing backing tracks, audio recorder, lead sheets, music score reader and movie player.

Re: iPad GB

Pre-lockdown, I DJ'd weekly Salsa/Bachata dance events with the iPad, and it worked great. I used the Pioneer WeGo4 and Reloop Mixtour controllers, everything fit neatly into a laptop bag. My iPad has 128GB but all the music I needed, easily fit into 64GB and my iPhone acted as a backup if the iPad failed. The only times I needed more than 64GB was when I also downloaded Netflix movies to watch on the plane.

Re: Lightning Connector

I'll be glad when I get an iPad Pro with a USB-C port. In 6 years, the Lightning connector never actually failed me, but I just feel better when all my audio equipment uses the same USB cables. It's one less set of dongles and restrictions to deal with. (otherwise, the entry level iPad would probably be just fine)

Re: Screen Size

For the current iPads, I think the the 10-11 inchers are probably the best deal. The large 12-inchers look good for sheet music, but are a pain to carry around. I know because I'm the one who has to carry around my girlfriend's 12-inch iPad. She's a keeper, but the large iPad, not so much. :crazy:

Re: Sheet Music

For a sheet music display, I decided one of the US$200 15" portable LCD monitors would be a better fit for the home piano/keyboard, with the 10-11 inch iPad for live performances.

Re: Headphone Jacks

The entry level iPad 10.2" and iPad Air 10.5" still have the 3.5mm audio jacks.

Re: iCloud

I really like the Apple iCloud integration and 200GB for US$2.99 / month. Took me awhile to get my head wrapped around how it worked, but I no longer worry about losing files on any one device, I can just get another one and move on with my life.

Re: iCloud

I really like the Apple iCloud integration and 200GB for US$2.99 / month. Took me awhile to get my head wrapped around how it worked, but I no longer worry about losing files on any one device, I can just get another one and move on with my life.

Yes, I find this useful too, though I only have the basic, no cost version. When my iPhone finally died a few years ago, I went to the store, bought a new one, and, via iCloud, they completely rebuilt "my" phone, with everything just the way I had it on the previous one.

Notes, I have zero experience in this but there is a software for Mac - Parallels - that runs a full version of Windows on a Mac. It's been around for a few years so apparently it works and there is a market for it.

So Surface should be compatible with that at least.

I am still hobbiling along with a $30 Android phone so the mobile market is an unknown to me. Cheers, Kuru

I've heard from some of my BiaB/Mac customers that Paralells doesn't work with BiaB as well as a native Windows computer does. I have no experience with it either, so it could be 'pilot error'.

Since the early 2000's BiaB PC and BiaB Mac files are identical, so there is no longer a reason for me to have a Mac computer. When I had both, there were things I liked better about the Mac and other things I liked better about Windows. I use the software to decide what platform to use, and for someone who writes aftermarket add-ons for BiaB, Windows is the better choice.

To get back on topic. Craig, let the software you want to run on the tablet be the deciding factor. Modern operating systems are all very good, especially compared to the days when you edited Electronics Musician Mag. No matter which way you go, you'll be happy.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Notes, I agree with your post. I am not a Mac vs Windows guy, at work I was a a Mac AND Windows guy. We did that because of the software we needed, it worked fine.

I've had great luck with Macs at home and have quite a bit of software - which as you say should be the deciding factor. Some users prefer Linux, I've never tried it but my hat's off to them.

I've got space and time for one computer and I have one computer, that's my bottom line. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Looking at several areas (from viewpoint of one who earns living servicing computer systems, and has for decades). First (briefly), I went with the Apple ecosystem, reasons will be explained, as opposed to the Android system. I currently service Windows, MacOS, and a bit of Linux. I do software matters on IOS, but not hardware (can't see for the ultra-small glued together systems).

IOS vs. Android. Both systems are produced by major companies (in part). Apple of course produces all IOS versions, patches, updates, etc. Android OTOH is fragmented (being more like Windows than Mac). Google produces the base operating system part of Android, but that is incomplete because it doesn't deal with the hardware. Each individual manufacturer produces what Windows would call "drivers" although they are compiled into the specific Android OS for that particular device. This also means that ANY updates, patches, problem fixing has to be done by that individual manufacturer. Some do much better than others.

Obsolescence: Apple does declare devices as no longer supported in new versions of IOS. There is a bit of reason other than just the desire to sell you a new device. The OS has a limited amount of space available, and some drivers for older hardware must be removed to make space available for newer hardware. Whereas at one time, most IOS devices had only 16GB total space, just about all now have 32GB or 64GB at the lower end. They go up now to 512GB, and will likely go higher. How much space is needed? When you need more, there is no such thing as adding more, you have to get a device with more. For all practical purposes, Android is similar in this respect, but even more so. If the particular company that built your Android device doesn't want to update the device, it can't be updated. All manufacturers have the issue that it is unprofitable to keep right on supporting older devices past a certain point; but the chosen point varies widely in length of time.

Compatibility of applications: Both platforms have hundreds of thousands of apps available, either included, free (with perhaps advertising or "add-in"), or paid, either once or subscription. The issue here is more complex. They are not "general purpose" even to the extent that a Windows, Linux, or Mac OS computer. No app - no way to do that particular thing. Suitability of applications: Great, IF there is an app that is affordable to do what you want to do, so this becomes an individual thing. Apple's IOS was built as a scaled down version of the Mac OS (which was built from Unix), and has support for things needed for music baked right in, so it generally does a far better job in any application that involves using MIDI and audio generation.

The Microsoft Surface (and other similar products). These products use really a full version of Windows, and are more like notebook computers with detachable keyboard/mouse (or trackpad). This does open up a lot more potential uses, but is also more complex in that each software vendor may not work well together with another software vendor. The Surface is really in a completely different category from tablet/phone.

"wi-fi" only or "wi-fi plus cellular": In almost all cases, I would say that you don't want a tablet (or watch) that has cellular UNLESS you are also willing to pay additional cellular fees each month beyond those fees needed by your phone. Of course, if you don't have a phone and don't plan on getting one, cellular option is nice to have. BTW, even if you buy a device that has cellular available, you don't have to set it up to be used, that functionality is just available but not implemented. In some applications, the added cost is fully justified. An example would be some sort of contractor who travels to multiple job sites each day (think of a lawn service, many other service businesses) because software could be used over the cellular network to enter each job into the bookkeeping system, and even email the invoice to the client, plus take the client's credit card payment; all while still on the job site. Added benefit is that when the day is over, you don't have to do all that entry at night before the next work day.

Learning curve: Either is going to have a bit of a learning curve. If you already have a phone that is one or the other, the curve is not as steep.

Added: If you presently use a Mac, it is considerably easier to quickly be up to speed with an IOS device. I still get frustrated when I have to fix an email problem for a client both on their computer and their Android device. Even just finding what has to be changed where is an issue (and I do recognize that if I used an Android device myself, it might be easier the other way. My own knowledge base on Windows and Mac OS is a lot larger than my base on Linux, because that area is where most of my work is based. My specialty is "Making Apple and Microsoft PLAY NICE!"

Hope all this helps in the decision process.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

So which iPads are you using? There's the iPad Air, regular iPad, iPad Pro, iPad Mini, and they have different capabilities...wi-fi only, wi-fi+cellular, different amounts of memory. Like for the iPad, you can get 32 GB but is that enough? There's no 64 GB, you then need to jump to 128 GB, which is $100 more.

32 is only enough if you don't install/download much and you use iCloud. I own a standard 128GB iPad with Wi-Fi, the 2017 version (MPGW2LL/A). The storage is worth it. I don't care for tablets in general but it does the job.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Thanks!! Great info from all concerned. I'm Mac+Windows, but don't fit the stereotype - I use Windows for heavy-lifting business use with music/video applications, and MacOS for personal use. So my computer world is squared away, it's the tablet world where I need to make a choice.

One thing I noticed is that apps on Android take up much less space than iOS, so you need more memory for iOS. I've been told this is because the entire app lives in the iPhone/iPad, whereas for Android, programs are basically "compiled" at the time of use and that's when they take up more memory. If I've interpreted this correctly, then it explains why iOS is much faster, both in terms of opening programs and also minimal audio latency. I have experienced some Android phones with decent latency, but all iOS devices have good latency.

Based on what I've read here, it really seems that upgrading my iPhone to an 11 with plenty of memory will do 90% of why I'd use the iPad. In terms of apps, most of what I want are available for both Android and iOS, with the exception of the awesomely amazing Geoshred instrument. I can play it reasonably well on a large-screen iPhone, but really, the LinnStrument does much of what I like about Geoshred, and the playing surface is more sophisticated than an iPad.

However, my daughter threw another wrench into my thinking because she's a huge iPad Pro fan. She loves the Sidecar element to expand on her MacBook, but she also says that it's a drawing tablet that's just as good as a Wacom for a lower price. Her basic premise is "You think you want a tablet for personal use, but if you have an iPad Pro, you'll find it can really expand what you do with your MacBook Pro, so you'll use it for more than just personal stuff." But an iPad Pro is pretty costly...if I'm going to stretch to that price range, I'll stretch a few hundred dollars more and get a refurb Mac Mini to replace my aging/obsolete dual Xeon desktop.

So I think I'm going to follow a two-step plan: 1) Upgrade the iPhone and see if the upgrade does what I think it will, and if it does, 2) spring for a "couch surfing"-friendly Android tablet. But I'll also look deeper into the iPad Pro, see if it offers something that my laptops don't already offer, and if it does, whether it's functionality I need.

Decisions, decisions...and then if I go Android tablet, it bifurcates into pure Android vs. Amazon-oriented Fire. But the latter would then suck me into Amazon-world, with which I connect only peripherally at the moment...I get the impression you need to sign up with Prime to take advantage of what the Fire has to offer.

I did forget to address iCloud: As mentioned previously, my setup is mixed Windows, Mac OS, IOS, and a bit of Linux. The basic free iCloud is useful only for backing up a couple of devices and some pictures, etc. If you spend the monthly dollars for subscribing, at the lowest tier, you get 50 GB of storage for the princely sum of $0.99 per month (nothing added). Also, in addition to the "iCloud" area, you get an "iCloud Files" area, where the up to 50 GB (or 200 GB for $2.99 per month, 1 TB is also available).

This is now my main cloud storage area. I've only filled up less than half, and have backups for 2 phones and 3 iPads, plus ALL of the files that I normally work with frequently. Before getting this, it was quite difficult to put files up there, needing iTunes to function. Now, it is "just another folder."

Even better, I can access from anywhere that Internet is available. The client works well on Windows, is integrated into MacOS and later IOS versions (the old iPad 3 with OS 9.x I had to add a free Files app, but works great), I think they have an Android client, not so sure on Linux, but I can still access using a browser. Truly multi-platform compatible, files easily shared between computers and devices.

Furthermore, on Windows or MacOS (where one can generally assume that you will have enough free space), there is a local copy of the files, so even if Internet goes down, I can still get the files. On IOS devices, one can set any particular file or folder so that it keeps a local copy.

I use OneDrive, Box, Google Drive, iCloud, and Dropbox (although not much now), and frankly the iCloud seems to work best between platforms. Also can bring up a browser on Windows that has Mail, Contacts Calendar Photos, iCloudDrive, Reminders, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Find Friends, and Find iPhone (if I have any data in the apps involved like Mail, contacts, and Calendar); ALL available on my Windows computer.

Now, in the recent matter of so many work from home and stay home folk, very occasionally, iCloud will hang for a while uploading or downloading; but access is generally pretty good if one has a decent connection (if your phone is in an area where only gen 2 cell service is available, forget Inet access, but this is true regardless of the cloud service).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

One thing I noticed is that apps on Android take up much less space than iOS, so you need more memory for iOS. I've been told this is because the entire app lives in the iPhone/iPad, whereas for Android, programs are basically "compiled" at the time of use and that's when they take up more memory. If I've interpreted this correctly, then it explains why iOS is much faster, both in terms of opening programs and also minimal audio latency. I have experienced some Android phones with decent latency, but all iOS devices have good latency.

I'm Android here, and totally low-end at that. I have use my phone as a recorder and indeed there's substantial latency, but I'm not overdubbing so latency doesn't matter. While I've never heard the bit about compiled-when-run, I can believe it. It's entirely too frequent that I've opened an app and received a notice that my version has been retired and needs to be updated. Of course some may be because they're accessing a data base that has changed in a way that the app can't read it [WHY DO THEY DO THAT??!!]. I notice it quite regularly in things like banking and hotel/air reservation apps, which certainly to use data bases.

I dunno, but I don't expect my phone to work like my computers. I barely expect it to act like a phone.

I have an iPad Pro 11 inch 256 GB and an Apple Pencil 2. Just a year old. Just a couple of weeks ago I (carefully) applied a screen "film" called Paperlike. Using an app called Goodnotes 5, I'm now (very happily) able to notate music on the iPad as a paper substitute. No MIDI. But with the benefits of copying and pasting (also easily making erasures and rewrites) - not having to recopy music by hand. A high tech solution to my low tech need. The only other thing I'm currently using the iPad Pro for at the moment is to listen to YouTube videos in bed before getting sleepy and dropping off.

I'm more of a Windows user although I bought a used MBP recently to use for recording.