Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: A cover that is not a cover

Hi,

It's a very weird feeling when you realize that the song that you always thought it was just another cover of a famous song, with alterations, but a cover nevertheless, turns out not to be a cover and then you end up thinking how could they just got away with such a blatant rip-off. But it's gets even weirder when many people don't see the similarities between the two songs. Let me tell you a story.

It's very common that famous classic songs from the 60's and 70's and 80's got covered in different countries in their own language by famous local artists. You got lots of Beatles songs in Spanish or French or whatever language by pop stars of those countries. Well, with the covid-19 pandemic in Spain there is a song that has become a hymn. It's called Resistiré (I will resist). It is a song from the 80's by one of the biggest pop acts of Spain of the 60's, El Dúo Dinámico. That song was in one of Pedro Almodovar movies and it was very well known. To me, of course it was very well known, because it has always been a "creative" cover of I will survive. Compare the titles.... again.... compare the titles. Well, this song is being played a lot in the past couple of months, very cool, people find hymns to sing out loud in times of crisis. The power of music. Awesome. There are new covers of this song written in home studios of current Spanish pop stars and it's all over the place.

Well, today, I have just learned that it's not an "official" cover... the credits of the song do not mention at all to Perren and Fekaris. Well, my shock is when I looked it up and then I found out that many people think that they are completely different songs.... again, read the title...

And, well, now, look at the harmony, the melody of the chorus....

[video:youtube]

vs

[video:youtube]

Am I crazy?

Regards,

Fran

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some countries just don't care about copyright unless pushed by a particular copyright owner. In past I used to get transcription books and songbooks from Japan that weren't available in the US because in US they couldn't get permission from copyright owner and/or weren't paying copyright. Same deal with songwriter copyright if they record their own version they aren't violating the mechanical copyright. So songwriter screwed but record company who owns the mechanical copyright isn't involved. Sadly none of this is new been going on forever.