Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Looking for something different to cook tonight?

Korg Germany publishes cook book - https://www.korg-germany.de/The_PyjamaCookbook_by_KORG_Germany_v1_1.pdf

Curious if our KC member's tastes in food are as diverse as their taste in music.

Here's one of my favorites: Meatball Soup, I got it from Emiral and have made it often!

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 cup chopped yellow onion 1/4 cup chopped celery

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 (14.5-ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed with your hands, with their juice

2 tablespoons tomato paste

2 (14-ounce) cans reduced-sodium beef broth

1/4 teaspoon Emeril's Italian Essence or other dry Italian seasoning, plus 3/4 teaspoon

1/2 teaspoon salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon

3/4 pound ground beef

1/4 pound ground pork

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan, plus 1/4 cup, and more for garnish, optional

1/4 cup Italian-style bread crumbs

1/2 cup ditalini or other small pasta shape for soups

3 cups baby spinach leaves

2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves

Directions:

1 Place a soup pot over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and heat. Add the chopped onion

and celery to the pot and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the vegetables are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add crushed tomatoes and their juices, beef broth, tomato paste, 1/4 teaspoon of Italian Essence, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and stir to combine. Bring to a low simmer and simmer for 15 minutes.

2 While the broth simmers, make the meatballs. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork, eggs, 1/3 cup Parmesan, bread crumbs, 3/4 teaspoon of the

Italian Essence, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and, using clean hands, mix until thoroughly combined.

3 Divide meat into tablespoons and roll into smooth balls with your hands. Set the rolled meatballs aside on a plate or other flat surface. Wash your hands.

4 Carefully add the meatballs to the simmering broth. Gently stir, so as not to break up the meatballs Add the remaining 1/4 cup grated Parmesan. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until

meatballs are cooked through.

5 Add the ditalini and spinach to the hot soup, stir well, and cook for 15 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked through. Stir in the chopped basil and serve the soup in wide bowls,

garnished with additional grated Parmesan, if desired.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks awesome. Soups have not traditionally been an area of dabbling for me. Maybe I need to change that....

Here's a dish that's knocking us out every time I make it:

Killer Chicken Pot Pie

⢠1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed

⢠1 cup sliced carrots

⢠1 cup frozen green peas

⢠½ cup sliced celery

⢠½ cup butter

⢠â cup chopped onion

⢠1 T chopped garlic

⢠1 medium potato, cut into small cubes

⢠â cup all-purpose flour

⢠½ teaspoon salt

⢠½ teaspoon black pepper

⢠¼ teaspoon celery seed

⢠4 cups chicken broth

⢠â cup milk

⢠2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts

⢠2 capfuls Marsala wine (my "secret ingredient"

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (220 degrees C.)

In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery and potato cubes. Add 2 cups chicken broth supplemented with enough water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside. When it"s somewhat cooled, pull the chicken pieces into shreds.

In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions and garlic in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in 2 c chicken broth, marsala wine and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.

Using a deep-dish pie plate, place enough chicken mixture into the bottom pie crust to (mostly) fill it. Pour hot liquid mixture over top. Using a fork, help the hot mixture to settle into the chicken mixture a bit (it"s okay for the hot mixture to be higher than the edges of the pie â it"ll give the pie a nice 'dome' effect). Cover with the top crust, seal the edges, and cut away the excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.

Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I ate at Emiral's restaurant in Vegas and it was good good good!

My wife has been ripping major feasts just about every night, crazy pandemic eating festival.

Let"s get a picture out her cook book! But I bet she"s a pro and it"s all in her head. Measures by eye no doubt.

I pretty much only follow recipes when baking, and don't ever write down what I do, so I have no recipes. But I can give you an idea of some of the more common things I do that turn out awesome. I usually pick a theme and run with it, i.e. Asian, Italian, Mexican, Greek, etc. and will do variations - for instance Asian could be Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, or Thai while sometimes blending them a bit. For instance vietnamese egg rolls with a spicy thai stir fry.

My Asian food will often depend on what fresh vegetables I can find. Any meat can be used but which direction I go will depend on if I'm using more onions and peppers vs broccoli, bean sprouts, snow peas, baby corn, not to mention can I get things like Kaffir leaves, basil, etc. Sometimes it's a classic stir fry, sometimes more like a Thai red curry with coconut milk...just depends on what I have and what I can find.

Italian might be a sautéed chicken entree with a light breading and white wine sauce with artichoke hearts and mushrooms with a side of cream pasta and broccolini. Sometimes I'll do up a massive tray of lasagna. The sauce takes a couple hours just by itself and starts with fresh tomatoes, garlic, basil, and includes very finely chopped carrots and onion, and includes italian sausage and ground beef. A good sauce is key. When assembling, I use many kinds of cheese - Ricotta, Mozzarella, Provel (different than Provolone - a St. Louis thing), Parmesan, Romano. Sometimes I'll include Spinach as well. By the time it's baked and cooled it's practically a full day project. But the best is after it cools in the fridge overnight. I always make extra sauce and love cutting a piece from the tray in the fridge and topping it with additional sauce and cheese in a little pan and heating it back up. I also make a killer Linguine Tutto Mare, which is a cream sauce pasta with clams, crab, whitefish, and shrimp. Sometimes I'll make that with a broiled fish filet. Other times I'll do it with a steak Oscar - usually a ribeye with a butter-garlic-seafood topping.

For mexican, I like kind of a "deconstructed" fajita concept with sides that I like. Instead of typical fajita meat, I'll marinade an inside skirt steak in my own concoction usually with plenty of cumin, various chili peppers, usually some chipotle for a little smokiness, onion powder, vinegar, cayenne, fresh cilantro, etc. I'll grill it then slice it across the grain at an angle into strips. I'll sautee various colors of bell peppers and onions with it. Make fresh salsa and guacamole with some more of that fresh cilantro and tomatoes along with some green chilies. If I want to go all out I'll roast some poblenos and stuff with queso. Usually top the beef with a mix of cheeses and sometimes start with queso mixed with some taco beef and some tortilla chips.

Don't know what you would classify this as - it started as a recipe my mom had called Chicken Divan. I don't have the recipe or use one, but here's basically what it is..... Boil a whole chicken til the meat comes off the bone, except I usually don't do that, I just slice and cook boneless skinless chicken breast. The base is essentially a can of Cream of Chicken soup, use the can to measure out an equal amount mayonnaise. Don't know how much as I do it by taste, but add a bunch of curry powder and a little lemon juice. In a pyrex dish, layer the chicken with broccoli flowerettes, spread the goo all over it, and top with a package of shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese. Back in the oven at 350 until the whole thing is bubbly and the cheese is starting to get a bit of color. My mom always made white rice with it and spooned the mixture over the rice. I sometimes do, sometimes don't.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I pretty much only follow recipes when baking, and don't ever write down what I do, so I have no recipes. But I can give you an idea of some of the more common things I do that turn out awesome. I usually pick a theme and run with it, i.e. Asian, Italian, Mexican, Greek, etc. and will do variations - for instance Asian could be Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, or Thai while sometimes blending them a bit. For instance vietnamese egg rolls with a spicy thai stir fry.

My Asian food will often depend on what fresh vegetables I can find. Any meat can be used but which direction I go will depend on if I'm using more onions and peppers vs broccoli, bean sprouts, snow peas, baby corn, not to mention can I get things like Kaffir leaves, basil, etc. Sometimes it's a classic stir fry, sometimes more like a Thai red curry with coconut milk...just depends on what I have and what I can find.

Italian might be a sautéed chicken entree with a light breading and white wine sauce with artichoke hearts and mushrooms with a side of cream pasta and broccolini. Sometimes I'll do up a massive tray of lasagna. The sauce takes a couple hours just by itself and starts with fresh tomatoes, garlic, basil, and includes very finely chopped carrots and onion, and includes italian sausage and ground beef. A good sauce is key. When assembling, I use many kinds of cheese - Ricotta, Mozzarella, Provel (different than Provolone - a St. Louis thing), Parmesan, Romano. Sometimes I'll include Spinach as well. By the time it's baked and cooled it's practically a full day project. But the best is after it cools in the fridge overnight. I always make extra sauce and love cutting a piece from the tray in the fridge and topping it with additional sauce and cheese in a little pan and heating it back up. I also make a killer Linguine Tutto Mare, which is a cream sauce pasta with clams, crab, whitefish, and shrimp. Sometimes I'll make that with a broiled fish filet. Other times I'll do it with a steak Oscar - usually a ribeye with a butter-garlic-seafood topping.

For mexican, I like kind of a "deconstructed" fajita concept with sides that I like. Instead of typical fajita meat, I'll marinade an inside skirt steak in my own concoction usually with plenty of cumin, various chili peppers, usually some chipotle for a little smokiness, onion powder, vinegar, cayenne, fresh cilantro, etc. I'll grill it then slice it across the grain at an angle into strips. I'll sautee various colors of bell peppers and onions with it. Make fresh salsa and guacamole with some more of that fresh cilantro and tomatoes along with some green chilies. If I want to go all out I'll roast some poblenos and stuff with queso. Usually top the beef with a mix of cheeses and sometimes start with queso mixed with some taco beef and some tortilla chips.

Don't know what you would classify this as - it started as a recipe my mom had called Chicken Divan. I don't have the recipe or use one, but here's basically what it is..... Boil a whole chicken til the meat comes off the bone, except I usually don't do that, I just slice and cook boneless skinless chicken breast. The base is essentially a can of Cream of Chicken soup, use the can to measure out an equal amount mayonnaise. Don't know how much as I do it by taste, but add a bunch of curry powder and a little lemon juice. In a pyrex dish, layer the chicken with broccoli flowerettes, spread the goo all over it, and top with a package of shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese. Back in the oven at 350 until the whole thing is bubbly and the cheese is starting to get a bit of color. My mom always made white rice with it and spooned the mixture over the rice. I sometimes do, sometimes don't.

That"s a nice variety. I like most everything too. Italian is very prevalent in my neighborhood - both home cooking and restaurants. The Mrs, loves Mexican and Tex Mex. I like most Asian food - Thai, Chinese, Japanese, etc. Years ago when we were courtin" there was an Indian place that was our Friday night thing. I have book with all sorts of one pot recipes. Hearty stuff.

I worked at a local Italian restaurant as a cook when I was in my late Teens, owned by an Italian family from the old world. I'm not going to lie that I've taken advantage of some of the things I learned from their family recipes. A few other things I've taken advantage of - my church had brought some vietnamese refugees to the states back in the day who became members of our conversations. Those vietnamese egg rolls were a recipe of my friend's mom and our church actually had an egg roll sale once a year for quite a while - they are PHENOMENAL! i also managed to get some tips from the restaurant that is voted best Thai in St. Louis every year (King and I). The mexican part is admittedly my own picking my favorite bits and pieces and putting them together into my own dishes and probably less authentic.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I also like making my own salad dressings. Again, fresh ingredients, top notch vinegars and oils are key. I'm partial to Italian salads but have come up with some other good ones. One of my non-italian favorites is a green leaf lettuce with red bell peppers and shaved parmesan cheese drizzled with a spicy balsamic vinaigrette.

Dan