Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recognizable piano parts from the 60s

My wife is leading a trivia game tonight, and I'm helping her out for one round, in which she's having me play small snippets of piano parts from songs of different decades for folks to recognize.

The goal is not too obvious, but also that these will be songs that people will have heard. She (and I) are struggling to come up with something for the 60s. Right now I've semi-settled on a track by The Beatles, but I'm frustrated by my lack of ability to dig deeper.

So, what are some notable piano (or other keyboard) parts from songs released in the 60s?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let It Be....You Never Give Me Your Money.....Blueberry Hill....Sway.....Soulful Strut....Cast Your Fate To The Winds....Baby Elephant Walk....Summer Samba....Taste of Honey.... Love is Blue...The In Crowd....Never On A Sunday....Secret Love....Unforgettable....

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

The Beatles also come to mind first thinking of 60s pop piano ("Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da," "Lovely Rita," "Rocky Raccoon," etc) and of course they used a lot of other keyboards, like the organ in Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and the Mellotron that opens Strawberry Fields Forever.

Other keyboard -- there's always The Monkees' "I'm a Believer," which has a pretty distinctive organ lick, lots of Doors tunes as mentioned above, and of course, Green Onions!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Let It Be....You Never Give Me Your Money.....Blueberry Hill....Sway.....Soulful Strut....Cast Your Fate To The Winds....Baby Elephant Walk....Summer Samba....Taste of Honey.... Love is Blue...The In Crowd....Never On A Sunday....Secret Love....Unforgettable....

Lara's theme, What I Say, Stay With Me

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

The Doors is a good thought!

The thing about The Beatles is, I'm afraid everything will be instantly recognizable, and thus not a great choice for trivia. I'm thinking the solo in "Get Back" might be appropriately obscure out of context.

She's Not There, Downtown, Go Now, Theme From Exodus, Alley Cat, A Walk in the Black Forest, Daydream Believer, Take Five, Ruby Tuesday, Let's Spend the Night Together, Build Me Up Buttercup, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Cherish, These Eyes, MacArthur Park
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Last Date (Floyd Cramer)

On the Rebound (Floyd Cramer)

Crazy (Patsy Cline)

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Lady Madonna piano riff seems to be recognized by all ages from my experience. Next thing to pop into my head from dealing with millenials and Gen-Xers was Bridge Over Troubled Water until I looked it up. Release date: January 1970. Missed it by that much...

I don't know if I'm misremembering or if people have differently interpreted the question, but there are a whole lot of songs in this thread where I can't think of a particularly recognizable "name that tune" style keyboard riff/lick/establishing motif, etc.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

These Eyes. Was that a Wurlitzer or a Hohner Pianet N?

It was a Pianet.

http://www.hillmanweb.com/chadallan/chad32.jpg

f911ced1a16c01638290b75d1937496c.jpg

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Recognizable PIANO parts from the 60s . . . and we get organs, electric pianos, clavinets . . . anybody care to name an accordion riff? It also has black & white keys. ;)

So, what are some notable piano (or other keyboard) parts from songs released in the 60s?
Careful now -- don't imply we haven't had the OP's back here! :wink:

(Also, "Back Street Girl" by the Rolling Stones, and "Rocking Chair" by The Band!)

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Morning Has Broken

That was the first one I thought of when I saw the subject line, but I checked, it was 1971.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Jeez, I was all ready to post a picture of a Rhodes tine.
LOL. I'd post a pic of one of the screw-in legs from my Wurly ... if I still had one.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.