Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If You Were Going to Start a Tribute Band...

Early DEVO, TALKING HEADS, B52S AND many others the experimental music we will never see again in those late 70s early 80s. Thats it for me the bands fooling around with the unknown.

But whos keyboards inspired me most in my beginning band years well "the Cars". Brilliant sharing between guitarist and keys without a fight. Not experimental music but briiliant.

You and I would get along just fine. I saw Devo in concert, they were awesome.

The Cars would be another fun tribute band - so many great tunes.

Friends of mine played a few from the first album, that is one of the all time great debut records ever by anybody. Sometimes I play an acoustic country version of Just What I Needed ,with authentic Bakerfield drawl (I'm from Fresno) and all. It translates well, the sign of a well written tune.

Use to play LIfe During Wartime. Still want to play Psycho Killer!!!! Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Early DEVO, TALKING HEADS, B52S AND many others the experimental music we will never see again in those late 70s early 80s. Thats it for me the bands fooling around with the unknown.

But whos keyboards inspired me most in my beginning band years well "the Cars". Brilliant sharing between guitarist and keys without a fight. Not experimental music but briiliant.

You and I would get along just fine. I saw Devo in concert, they were awesome.

The Cars would be another fun tribute band - so many great tunes.

Man lucky you to see them live

Yep there was something about those early days that bands were just taking chances hence my calling them experimental music.

Kate Bush was another that i really appreciated her off the wall aproach. More polished than those ive mentioned but exoerimental non the same. As was Thomas Dolby who was crossing the barrier between experimental and mainstream.

And i was heavily into British Ska too infact many of my original songs I wrote were ska based.

But The Cars nailed it for me on getting the balance of guitar and keys spot on. A main stream band that still followed their own piper.

Hee hee i had too many influences to write in one genre

We are spoilt with great choice of influences.

Perhaps tho those experimental bands were the lucky ones seeming to have no influences and creating an influence.

I've played quite a few cars songs over the years and always enjoyed them. I've done Just What I needed, Shake it Up, Bye Bye Love, Let's Go, You Might Think, and Magic.

I was a huge Devo fan but got so sick of playing Whip It over the years that I don't mind if I never hear it again. But Love the REST of the Devo tunes.

Dave Bryce (moderator on the Keyboard Corner) has a band called "Police Cars" that only plays songs by the Police and the Cars. The songs I've heard from videos he posted sounded great!

I like those types of mash-ups - kind of a cross between a tribute band and a theme band. There's one here called "Petty-Cash Junction" that plays all Tom Petty and Johnny cash. Different band members do each of the lead vocals, and they have a female singer that covers the June Carter parts.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I realize I sidestepped the original question and did some self promotion, but the real answer I think after some thought on the matter is that there are very few bands I would be happy doing a tribute to because I wouldn't enjoy being pigeon holed like that, but I like themes. I've done other theme bands as well. I've played in 2 separate bands where in each case, the drummer was a Radio personality - one a long time veteran of classic rock station KSHE 95 where we played "KSHE Classics" and another a talk show host on AM radio, but that band had a cool Niche. We were a 5 pc acoustic. We all sang so we could literally do 5 part harmony and between us all we could cover 6-string, 12-string, bass, mandolin, banjo, etc....so anything pretty much. I was the bass player in that band but occasionally broke out sax and some keyboards. The cool thing was we did ANYTHING, but acoustic. We went from Rush to One Direction. We played Daft Punk and Rolling Stones. Rock, pop, country, didn't matter....all acoustic which was the tie that binds. But not a duo or trio - 5 PIECE! I really loved some of the versions of the songs we did.

But tribute....some I would be happy to play in but nothing jumps out at me as some sort of holy grail. You guys mentioning bands like Devo and Cars....there's a whole phase I went though that I would love to do a theme band version of with a number of keyboard players who like me play other instruments as well as sing, percussion, etc. and do Human League, New Order, Information Society, Duran Duran, Devo, Sparks, Erasure, Depeche Mode, Yaz - I would kill to play in a band like that!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I think a Steely Dan tribute band would be cool. Love the music. However, given the calibre of musicians that played on the originals, I think that would break the ground rule that "you'd have no trouble finding other musicians"!

I think a Steely Dan tribute band would be cool. Love the music. However, given the calibre of musicians that played on the originals, I think that would break the ground rule that "you'd have no trouble finding other musicians"!

I saw a Steely Dan tribute band. They had eleven musicians. Sounded awesome, the music was faithful to the original.

I saw a Steely Dan tribute band. They had eleven musicians. Sounded awesome, the music was faithful to the original.

Wow, that sounds impressive. Wouldn't mind seeing something like that myself.