Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

Here is my latest contribution, I'm not sure I've shared any of my music with the group in years. :(

Although this was a Casio themed project it reflects my style.

[video:youtube]

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• 2 weeks later...
Ken, that was fantastic. Bravo :clap:

Thanks so much. This is what I was working on during the last zoom meeting.

That reminded me of Wendy Carlos" work on Switched-On Bach.

Thank you. I wasn't planning on recording this ala Carlos. The early test patches weren't even close to this. But I'm weak and succumbed to temptation.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

My friend Fred Simon said something profound at the beginning of the pandemic, that suddenly the song "I Want to Hold Your Hand" had become the saddest song ever written.

With that in mind, I wrote this: Love in the Time of Corona:

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

All voices and effects from the Moog One. This piece is probably better known as "The Emperor's Fanfare," arranged by legendary organist E. Power Biggs.

Sixth Double Concerto, Second Movement, Antonio Soler (1729-1783)

I echo the comparison to the style of Wendy Carlos, which I love. Its almost a separate realm of synthesis, so it was especially enjoyable to hear you evoke it so well with a Moog One. THERE's one of the missing pieces concerning its real voice. Added points for using a Biggs arrangement. Some marveled at The New York Dolls. I marveled at Biggs & Virgil Fox. That's our tribe for you! :cool:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Here is my latest contribution, I'm not sure I've shared any of my music with the group in years. :(

Although this was a Casio themed project it reflects my style.

Pardon my double-like glitch, but hey, let it stand! It took a few replays to absorb, but that's a fine composition. I like the patch-go-round changes as a synth player, but the tension & release aspects are outstanding. It reminds me a bit of the solo synth-guitar works of Michael Brook, which are reserved showpieces that make you go "OH, so THAT's what it can do!"

I enjoyed the heck out of the Emerson-sized Casio stack, too. There's a piece from every era there, yeesh! :o

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Ummmm, sort of funk/fusion instrumental. Sorry bout the poor video. I don't have one of those fancy-schmancy go-pro's or anything so I just used the macbook's camera. Oh well. Hey, stay safe everybody and hope you enjoy.

Ummmm, sort of funk/fusion instrumental. Sorry bout the poor video. I don't have one of those fancy-schmancy go-pro's or anything so I just used the macbook's camera. Oh well. Hey, stay safe everybody and hope you enjoy.

Good job, enjoyed this! :thu:

• 2 weeks later...

Like a lot of other musicians, our big band has become virtual. This is the latest composite video we've created. It's Chris Connolly's arrangement of Makin' Whoopee, which is a tenor feature.

The growth experience for me has been with doing the audio mixing, along with the agony of making video recordings of myself.

The featured player is the band leader's father. I can't get over his smooth tone. If silk made a sound, this would be it!

Like a lot of other musicians, our big band has become virtual. This is the latest composite video we've created. It's Chris Connolly's arrangement of Makin' Whoopee, which is a tenor feature.

The growth experience for me has been with doing the audio mixing, along with the agony of making video recordings of myself.

The featured player is the band leader's father. I can't get over his smooth tone. If silk made a sound, this would be it!

Very nice, Mike! :thu:

Facebook reminded me that it was a year ago this week that I started my all-too-brief run with a big band. I was in WAY over my head, but I almost learned to tread water. :D I was hoping to see if they needed me again this summer when the piano player went on vacation again, but most of the band is beyond senior citizen age AND they rehearse at a senior living center so even if I was comfortable with a group rehearsal (I'm not) they aren't doing it anyway.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Very nice, Mike! :thu:

Facebook reminded me that it was a year ago this week that I started my all-too-brief run with a big band. I was in WAY over my head, but I almost learned to tread water. :D I was hoping to see if they needed me again this summer when the piano player went on vacation again, but most of the band is beyond senior citizen age AND they rehearse at a senior living center so even if I was comfortable with a group rehearsal (I'm not) they aren't doing it anyway.

Hi Joe, thanks for the kind words.

Funny, because I feel in big band I get to hide a little bit behind the other instruments. Piano is generally there to hold the other people up and is not commonly featured. It helps a lot with getting your reading chops up!

Once of the things I've found is that most piano charts are way over-written. Sparse playing is always better. You're competing with 16 other instruments (17 if there is a singer) and reading literally off the page is just too busy.

The band is talking about resuming rehearsals in August. We have a few outdoor options, so we may start with that. We're also talking about continuing the virtual recordings. We've done three total so far and are starting a fourth tune. It's been a great learning experience and a lot of fun.

[Hi Joe, thanks for the kind words.

Funny, because I feel in big band I get to hide a little bit behind the other instruments. Piano is generally there to hold the other people up and is not commonly featured. It helps a lot with getting your reading chops up!

Once of the things I've found is that most piano charts are way over-written. Sparse playing is always better. You're competing with 16 other instruments (17 if there is a singer) and reading literally off the page is just too busy.

The band is talking about resuming rehearsals in August. We have a few outdoor options, so we may start with that. We're also talking about continuing the virtual recordings. We've done three total so far and are starting a fourth tune. It's been a great learning experience and a lot of fun.

I felt that way too, but there are places where the piano gets featured such as the intros to some songs and things. They would say, "we're doing this song next" and I'd have to pull out that chart and try to sight read the intro or part when it came up! Eek. The gig, brief as it was, was pushing my sight reading and interpretation as I'd have to figure out what fit. You're right in that some charts had Too Many Notes for piano. But I was learning a ton and hoped to continue it. I'd love to get another big band gig at some point.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 weeks later...

I combined my drone footage with B3X to produce a salute to the USA's 244th birthday. If you watch carefully Marty the Beagle makes a cameo appearance in the front door side lights.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"