Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

unable to access Roland Clan forum?

Is anyone else having difficulty in accessing the Roland Clan forum? (https://forums.rolandclan.com/) ?

I am not able to connect to this web site, not even in unauthenticated mode from a web browser that I have never used previously to access the Roland Clan web site.

I am sure that I know my correct userid and password, and when I enter this, it is not accepted and I see just two words of text:

"Access Denied"

Does anyone know what is going on, or if perhaps a different URL needs to be used to access it?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've experienced that for the past week (or more). (I was the most prolific poster on their Keytar sub-forum.) I read elsewhere that the whole thing was not getting enough traffic to justify its continued existence, and like many foolish corporations, they shut it down with no announcement.

If we're lucky, that will prove false, and it will just be another Covid-19 based delay. :idk:

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I read elsewhere that the whole thing was not getting enough traffic to justify its continued existence, and like many foolish corporations, they shut it down

I don't know that it was run by any corp... I don't think Roland had anything to do with it, at least.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Shoot, never saw any warning about it being shut down! I didn't frequent it often but I did help some other people out there.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

The Roland Clan forum was/is a third party Roland fan forum. Unless they were offering material owned by Roland, Roland would have no reason to initiate any kind of legal action against the site, and even if they had, being able to force them to completely shut down would be unlikely, and being able to force them to shut down at the exact same time that there launching a new product would be impossible. The two things are unrelated.

What the heck; even the Wayback Machine doesn't have any threads archived, only the main forums. There appeared to be a few threads about forum instability and Roland "D-day'ing us", both from last fall. The Wayback Machine's most recent save was in November of last year. I KNOW I posted there more recently though, probably a few months ago.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I have tried to join the Roland Clan forum a few times over the years, but those attempts were unsuccessful. IIRC, after registering, I was unable to log in, and then when I tried to re-register, I received an error message stating there was already someone with that email address/username. Well, yes... And then I was not allowed to send a message to a moderator for assistance because I was not a member. :redwall:

Too bad if it is indeed shut down, there were some knowledgeable folks over there whose posts I enjoyed even in my 'lurker' status.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Roland...being able to force them to shut down at the exact same time that there launching a new product would be impossible. The two things are unrelated.
Although unlikely, it is not impossible that the two are related. Hypothetically, Roland could have decided they wanted to shut them down when they launched their new big web presence, and could have contacted the owners and offered them $ to buy the domain from them and/or shut it down.

The Wayback Machine's most recent save was in November of last year. I KNOW I posted there more recently though, probably a few months ago.
It's possible that a more recent crawl may yet appear in the archive. Though they certainly don't crawl every changed site every day. Some info at https://webmasters.stackexchange.com/questions/82421/what-determines-the-frequency-the-wayback-machine-crawls-ones-website

Roland Clan isn't shut down but the forum software is experiencing issues. All the action is happening in their FB groups

FB is just such a terrible platform for support/information, because there's no good way to search the posts, view complete threads, etc.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Okay, at least it's not totally gone then. Agree with Scott on Facebook Groups. And I'm in over twenty and use them frequently!

Roland Clan isn't shut down but the forum software is experiencing issues. All the action is happening in their FB groups

FB is just such a terrible platform for support/information, because there's no good way to search the posts, view complete threads, etc.

Exactly!

I agree but FB is where the Roland guys are. Ed Diaz & Scott Berry posts videos there and all the realtime chats...if you follow the group long enough you'll start to see comments from Roland guys all over the world. So they are engaged with users - its truly a first for Roland. I had USB issues at launch. After a couple hours trouble shooting I posted my question. Within 10 minutes Scott had the answer. That's fantastic support.

Hope the Clan returns. I spent many years on that forum helping folks with their Jupiter 80.

I found the Roland Clan Forum very helpful, and am disappointed to see it unavailable. Hopefully that's temporary. While the Roland sites - plus FB and YT are helpful, there was a lot of solid content and interaction on the RCF. In the early, Franken-keyboard days of the Fantom, it was extremely helpful. Hope it comes back, in some form..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I made an account here real quick just to post this.

I did manage to find the owner of Rolandclan.com, who is not affiliated with Roland in anyway. I asked him if he intended to shut the site down or if he meant to sell it. He said that he intended to do neither and that he was just updating the site. Unfortunately, he didn't give me an ETA on when the site would be back up. I spoke to him on the 17th of this month so I'm hoping he gets the site back up by the end of the month, maybe June at the latest. It's up to him on how long it takes, but for now it's safe to say the site isn't dead and will be back up eventually.

I made an account here real quick just to post this.

I did manage to find the owner of Rolandclan.com, who is not affiliated with Roland in anyway. I asked him if he intended to shut the site down or if he meant to sell it. He said that he intended to do neither and that he was just updating the site. Unfortunately, he didn't give me an ETA on when the site would be back up. I spoke to him on the 17th of this month so I'm hoping he gets the site back up by the end of the month, maybe June at the latest. It's up to him on how long it takes, but for now it's safe to say the site isn't dead and will be back up eventually.

That would make sense. Maybe it's a forum software update (I believe it's PHPBB based but I'm not sure). Thanks for the report!