Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia OB-Xa V

Arturia OB-Xa V Announcement

Here you go - new Arturia OB-Xa V

I have a free plug in somewhere, I think it's OBXd and haven't used it since I tried it out as I don't gravitate to the Oberheim sound palette. But it looks interesting and has a reasonable price to add this for customers like me who already have V Collection 7. I hope there is not a "Jump" preset, but I'm sure there will be.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

G-Force almost released one years ago but got a cease and desist order. I forget what they did instead, but maybe it was Virtual String Machine at that point.

Arturia has done a good job with their other Oberheim soft synths. I also own SonicProjects OP-X Pro II and the Reaktor version, and discoDSP OB-Xd (free?).

Logging in for loyalty offer vs. the $149 introductory offer, I see my price as $49. Tempting, even though unemployed. UPDATE: Bought and installed. Awesome!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Sad to say, 'Jump' is the very first one.....

But there are quite a few others! :)

Well worth it, sounds great and gets right to the Oberheim sound, if you like that. Plus the added FX and modulation capabilities, along with voices detune and Stereo pan/spread options, let you quickly get to the monster sounds unique to this synth.

One of the best done adverts I've seen...

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

It sounds good. Nice filters. It didn't blow me away as a "omg you MUST have this synth", but that rarely happens anyway. It's probably worth $49 for entertaining myself with it and for Arturia preset management, NKS support for browsing in Native Instruments, etc. These are the same reasons I bought their Mellotron.

I'm still trying to dig through what I want to do or don't want to do with Zenology and potentially a hardware synth, so I don't know if or when I will have time to explore a pile of Oberheim brass and pads on top of that, but I gotta like what Arturia offers in their packages and reasonable offers to existing customers like this. (Although someone out there will bitch that it should be free for V Collection 7 owners, but they don't owe me anything.)

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Well... for $49 I "might as well JUMP" on this Oberheim VST offer.

See what I did there?

(ducks)

Really digging this.

Once I can get some hi res recordings on my Soundcloud I"ll share

Lots of fun stuff. One example is the patch Moving Brassery. With some very minor tweaks it is dead on to Rush Subdivisions. I simply reduced the Loudness release and reduced the wet/dry level of the delay effect. I got that seriously fat tone.

Yes, I had to play with the Jump patch. It needs some tweaking as well.

Tonite I just ran thru the basics.

So far so good

drgFZO.jpg

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

OB-Xa. That's what dreams are made of.

I don't own the collection, just 4 of the individual instruments, so it'd be $99 for me.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Yes, at first many of the factory presets need to be calmed down in terms of resonance, and other "harsh making" parameters.

Once you go thru and dial it in, it really warms up

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Arturia sounds a bit harsh (?) to my ears...i have the OPX-proII and am still amazed how good it sounds after 10 years[video:youtube]

Please forgive my naïveté about synths but I've never been a big synth guy as far as playing them. Was the Oberheim really used on all those tunes demoed in this video?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Please forgive my naïveté about synths but I've never been a big synth guy as far as playing them. Was the Oberheim really used on all those tunes demoed in this video?

:nono: Come on Joe, you should know better.

nordlead-models.jpg

Yes, at first many of the factory presets need to be calmed down in terms of resonance, and other "harsh making" parameters.

Once you go thru and dial it in, it really warms up

Ahhh...thats good to hear, because it was a bit over the top indeed.

No i don"t think so. But it"s sometimes hard to track down the right info about synths on recordings. In the OP-X vst there is a Queen / want to break free solo synth lead that is sooooo good. I never came anywhere near that sound with Nords and Roland romplers. Turns out the original synth used sounded like a Moog mini..but was actually a Jupiter 8. And a Jupiter 8 can do a perfect 'Jump" ( OBX-A).

[video:youtube]

Absolutely not. They"re trying to show how well it can cop some famous sounds.

Take 'On The Run' for example. The sound is close, but the arp is not. It"s actually a sequence with a couple little turns in it. Did the OB even exist when Pink Floyd recorded that?

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

OP Pro II, always was, always will.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Got it, really digging it!!! $49...could not resist...

I also have paid version of OB-XD, as well as all of the other Oberheim synths from Arturia on both the Mac OS and iOS versions.

(you can tell I really love the Oberheim sound...)

Enjoy folks! It's a great time to be an electronic musician, without a doubt...

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Although I already had the OP in its latest incarnation, I think I'm going to like this one from Arturia better overall.

It's good timing too, as I upgraded from Mojave to Catalina yesterday or the day before, and the discoDSP emulation now fails.

Correction: it appears that I only ever had the earlier, free version, as I have no receipts for discoDSP and theirs was never free.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I plan to pick it up at some point. I have OP-X Pro II as well. It's got some great sounds and capabilities.

Does Arturia's synth offer velocity sensitivity? I'm a big proponent of adding that to all recreations. I don't see any indication of it in the GUI shots.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I'll check on the velocity sensitivity a bit later; I am juggling too many vi-control software and local Craigslist hardware ads and meet-ups at the moment. I can probably look at this around lunchtime.

I don't know why Arturia wouldn't have a whole RUSH section of presets for this synth. It's pretty much they're entire sound for a decade. Plus my litmus test is the Opening of Tom Sawyer. That should be preset #1 on any OBx softsynth!

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I'll check on the velocity sensitivity a bit later; I am juggling too many vi-control software and local Craigslist hardware ads and meet-ups at the moment. I can probably look at this around lunchtime.

Thanks Mark! :thu:

I know there are purists who think velocity has no place on a recreation, but to me, it's just an obvious enhancement that makes the instruments so much better. If a manufacturer wants to please both camps, they can just make it an option in Settings.

Thanks again.

Todd

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Velocity can be assigned to cutoff frequency.

In general, it's available as a mod matrix assignment for different parameters.

You can use MIDI CC messages to automate almost any parameter within OB-Xa V.

The Input Modulators section lets you assign velocity, mod wheel, etc. to almost any destination.

I took a screen shot of the full mod matrix (the user manual shows a seriously clipped view).

1046.thumb.png.182125f358c9b769fecf0f0095c02850.png