Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Max USB length for interface?

I am doing some re-wiring at the studio, and one of my interfaces is USB. I am trying to figure out the longest length of USB cable I could get away with and still have robust data transfer.

Anyone have expertise with this?

Ronan Chris Murphy - Producer-Engineer

(King Crimson, GWAR, Ulver, Mafia III)

ronanchrismurphy.com

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a couple of links I found. One is a recording forum, the other is a retailer.

I am using Thunderbolt 2 and a 2 meter cable so I don't have experience in this realm. Prior to that I used Firewire and always shorter cables.

Apparently which version of USB you are using makes a difference and there are workarounds - as posted in the second link.

https://recording.org/threads/usb-cable-length-for-audio-interface.62686/

http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-And-How-To-Break-Them_ep_42-1.html

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I am doing some re-wiring at the studio, and one of my interfaces is USB. I am trying to figure out the longest length of USB cable I could get away with and still have robust data transfer.

The official maximum cable length for USB 2.0 is 5 meters. There's no maximum cable length for USB 3 isn't specified but 3 meters is recommended.

A powered USB hub can act as a repeater - up to 5 meters from the computer to the hub, then up to 5 meters from the hub to the device, and it's always handy to have a hub here and there.

How many channels will you run across it. When I had an RME UCX, I found that while using the channels on the unit, I never had an issue with any cable. When I maxed out the ADAT expander and was using pretty much every port on the thing, it was happiest with a 6' cable. No 15' cable would work. Some 9' cables worked. Anecdotal experience only, but it's what I experienced. Now with a Dante setup, I don't have to care for 300' (which is about 280' more than I care about!)