Stand-up lap steel
#3044712 05/19/20 03:56 PM
P
picker Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
P
Some years back. i took up playing lap steel. It was the most fun I'd had from playing in years. It really was neat.
Recently, I started seeing videos of Larkin Poe, and I was interested to see the girl playing the Rickenbacker lapsteel standing up, with a strap-on platform under it. I've read she and a friend made it themselves. So, I started looking for something similar to use with my Rogue lapsteel.

The closest thing I've found so far is the Asher Belly Bar But $165 seems a bit pricey for a bent tube and some hardware. Does anybody knonw of any other such rig, for substantially less?

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

GP Island
Re: Stand-up lap steel
picker #3044728 05/19/20 05:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I don't. Huge fan of Larkin Poe, their version of Sleepwalk is stellar, just to name one.

There are so many straps available on the cheap that I would probably at least have a go at cobbling something together.

LOTS of used backpacks out there, maybe craigslist or a yard sale? Our thrift stores are closed for now, not sure about yours.
Padded adjustable straps are available used at minimal cost. I would probably default to my old standby for connecting to the guitar - a stout screw and a washer will hold it in place forever.

I love lap steel too, not great at it but I can get a rudimentary solo onto a recording. I have a tragically butchered Framus 8 string, it used to be a half of my brother's double neck with fancy levers/cams on the bridge so you could flip to different tunings. Sounded like crap though, thin and no sustain. So I found a thick-walled deep socket at a pawn shop for 75 cents, that sounds awesome. It is the second guitar in the attached photo, one of these days I'll take it apart and do some smoothing and rounding on the maple mounting plate. And, here is a piece I played it on for Dr. Walker's Psychadelic Kitchen compilation. I think he had to use it since it was one of just a few entries. 1 track of bass guitar, 4 tracks of lap steel.

https://metapop.com/opossum-apocalypse/tracks/that-itch/130532

Attached Files Guitars_3.jpg

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
picker #3044732 05/19/20 05:28 PM
S
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
From a company making $3750 lap steels I'm not surprised this adaptor bar is also expensive. But I'm also intrigued that all their lap steels appear to be 25" scale, which is several inches longer than traditionally found on lap steels. Seems like a good idea, but I've not heard any opinions about this. Nice looking instruments those guys make, way out of my ballpark though.

Scott Fraser
Scott Fraser #3044734 05/19/20 05:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Scott Fraser
From a company making $3750 lap steels I'm not surprised this adaptor bar is also expensive. But I'm also intrigued that all their lap steels appear to be 25" scale, which is several inches longer than traditionally found on lap steels. Seems like a good idea, but I've not heard any opinions about this. Nice looking instruments those guys make, way out of my ballpark though.

Longer scale extends your potential range and makes accuracy easier.
You can still slide way up into the dog whistle notes but with thicker low strings you could also cover baritone sounds.

KuruPrionz #3044795 05/19/20 10:53 PM
S
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz
Longer scale extends your potential range and makes accuracy easier.

That's the part that appeals to me.

Scott Fraser
picker #3044821 05/20/20 12:06 AM
P
picker Offline OP
10k Club
OP Offline
10k Club
P
But shorter scales make bar slants easier to pull off.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

picker #3044835 05/20/20 12:50 AM
S
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
Originally Posted by picker

OK, makes sense, though that's above my current skill grade.

Scott Fraser
picker #3044837 05/20/20 12:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by picker

Also true although going higher up the neck negates that advantage. Depending on the number of strings and the tuning, it may be moot.

I've seen David Lindley twice, fantastic.
Both times he played custom long scale Weissenborn style instruments with a huge range including bass.
The first time I saw him he was playing a chordal part, a bass part, tapping/thumping the body of the instrument for drum sounds and singing.
Outdoor festival, I saw a friend come up over the hill to the front of the stage. He said "I heard a reggae band playing so I came to see who it was."

Then, he shook his head in disbelief. I was already gobsmacked myself.

picker #3044846 05/20/20 02:31 AM
S
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
Oh yeah, Lindley is great. Equally great at spinning yarns.

Scott Fraser
Scott Fraser #3044875 05/20/20 05:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

His "Furry Poker Chip" song about backstage food in Ireland had the crowd in stitches.

The second time I saw him he did an accompanied bit about Sudafed and Vivarin where he slowed down and sped up the music, shifted the key and sang imitations of things being played too fast and too slow.
We were all dying out there, so awesome!

picker #3044917 05/20/20 01:54 PM
W
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
My first thought would be to get creative with the placement of strap pegs?

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com
KuruPrionz #3044928 05/20/20 02:53 PM
S
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz

His "Furry Poker Chip" song about backstage food in Ireland had the crowd in stitches.

Another on that subject is called "Cat Food Sandwiches".

The second time I saw him he did an accompanied bit about Sudafed and Vivarin where he slowed down and sped up the music, shifted the key and sang imitations of things being played too fast and too slow.
We were all dying out there, so awesome!

I saw him at a workshop at the Strawberry Festival where he was waxing poetic about becoming eligible for Medicare & the wonders of finally having health insurance. I think quirkiness (and musicality) run in the family. I've worked & played a lot with his older brother, who is a keyboard prodigy, & quirky as can be, though dead serious. There's also a cello playing brother.

Scott Fraser
picker #3044932 05/20/20 03:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Scott, that's awesome!

Hah!! Cat food sandwiches - mmmm... tasty....

Before the thrift stores closed up here I found an album he made with Henry Kaiser, they went to Madagascar and jammed with local musicians.
Wonderful music.

David is one of those "hiding in plain sight" sort of wizards, if you mention him to otherwise informed musicians most of them will say "Who?"
Then you say "The slide guitar on Running On Empty by Jackson Browne." EVERYBODY gets that reference. There are many, it's a stelar list.

El Rayo Ex is pretty well known.

We used to play Took Off My Romeos and a couple other tunes. Love his work with Warren Zevon, I learned Play It All Night Long from the Live at the Vienna Opera House with Ry Cooder album, I bought a copy from David personally after his show at the Mt Baker Blues Festival.

Link Copied to Clipboard