Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joining the ranks of the unemployed

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not knowing your circumstances, I'm wondering why the statement about moving out. Like I was going to suggest to J.Dan, adding insult to injury always ends up costing a lot more than you think. You're an engineer? You'll be back.

Here for the gear.

Not knowing your circumstances, I'm wondering why the statement about moving out.

Cost of living is high where I live. I was exploring cheaper places to live. Happened sooner than I expected.

Like I was going to suggest to J.Dan, adding insult to injury always ends up costing a lot more than you think. You're an engineer? You'll be back.

Yes I'm an engineer with very marketable skills. If they called to offer my job back I wouldn't turn it down. Not banking on it though.

I read an article a week or so ago that a lot of the jobs lost from the virus aren't ever coming back. As someone who telecommuted to work for a couple years I discovered working from home I got more done because none of the distraction of an office environment. On news the other night they said some employers are going to keep many people working from home instead of the office.

So I'd say between the hit the economy is going to take there will be downsizing. Employers see productivity increase from home worker which mean lowering operational costs for office space. Then from past experiences working during economic downturns employers are going to take advantage of unemployment to start lower salaries on new hire or letting higher paid go and hiring replacements at lower wages. So real bad for people in debt or families, but good for people looking to change career paths there will be opportunities to get in or maybe get that promotion if you work cheap.

So times they are a changin' so have to be think about how your skills in one area can be sold as asset in another field.

I'm sorry to hear that. Best of luck!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Also sorry to hear it. Been there enough times to never want to go back from self-employment.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

My apologies also. These are rough times.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

There's a common theme in science fiction: singularity, meaning some event that totally resets everything and everyone. How it's used in stories varies, but it's always in the context of...not just a life-changing, but a world-changing event. History-making. Epoch-making. A "Where were you the day the shit hit the fan?" kind of thing.

For all the nattering of the Great Unwashed about how this or that or the other thing is/will be The Singularity, this Covid virus might just be the real deal.

Or, as they say the curse goes: "May you live in interesting times!"

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Hang in there... We have no idea what the future holds. Live in the moment.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

MC

I'm sorry to read the bad news. A lot of issues come into play when jobs/positions are eliminated. Its worse when entire industries where you have been working for long periods of time are shipped out of the country. Getting any kind of a decent paying job after you're 50 is difficult, just about impossible when you cross 60. At my age I can't BUY an interview. Employers don't invest in us old people.

I certainly hope the job market is better for you.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I got kicked out at the end of 2016. Entertained myself for a couple of years looking around, but yeah, there"s not much out there that"s a good match for experience and wisdom.

Businesses are increasingly stuck paying cut rate pay for cut rate talent, preferably abroad, as it"s still cheaper, despite the plummeting quality of work and living in the US.

We"re getting there, we"re somewhere near Somalia in quality of life already. No offense meant to Somalia.

My deepest condolences, Mike. Look back at how long you got to stay in one great place, and see if you can swing retirement at this point. It"s great! :)

Maybe we should all go in and start our own company. Between all of us, we have a pretty good collection of skills and experience. We could release a MIDI 2.0 76-key semi-weighted controller with Poly AT and call it "The Unicorn".

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Sorry about this. A recent newsletter from my workplace described how well they were doing without night techs. Wishing for better days.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I lost my job just before Christmas, 2017. They downsized, and 90 of us lost our jobs.

Less than a month later I was working elsewhere. This worked out for the best for me.

The decision was made mid March to move everyone in our building to work from home. They even sent me with my work computer, and paid me during the transition.

At last report, it will be late summer before anyone returns to the building, and there is a 99% chance that I will be able to continue to work from home.

The cost savings have almost made up for the loss of gig income.

Mike, I feel for you and Dan. I've been through that, so I got a pretty good idea how it feels.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Sorry, Mike. I hope things turn out well for you.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI