Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lucky Peterson RIP

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember seeing him on Johnny Carson's Tonight show. I believe that he was five years old. He played "1-2-3-4" on the B-3 and one other song. Blew me away. Does anybody have any links to him playing at that age? Hard to find.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

RIP, much too young. His drummer came and gave a masterclass when I was in first or second year in college, Cuban guy who had gone to North Texas and was on the road with Lucky. Caught their show at Blues on Whyte and Lucky pulled one of, if not the most memorable stage trick I've seen. While taking a solo, he walks out into the crowd with his wireless and solos on the dancefloor, but then keeps going, walks outside and bums a smoke, all while continuing to solo. Rhythm section keeps grooving and he eventually comes back up and finishes the solo off. Amazing stuff. He may not have invented it but man did he pull it off.

The main thing I remember from that masterclass (Lucky wasn't there) is the drummer describing what would happen if he played too big of a fill or got a little excited. Guy was full of chops of course, but Lucky would turn his head around on the bandstand and give him a glare and just yell: "POCKET!" :laugh:

Damn! I was "lucky" enough to do FOH for him several times, and even played with him on a couple of gigs. He didn't have much time for musicians that didn't "get it" (i.e. groove, pocket, swing...), but was a great musician & a fun guy to hang with.

R.I.P.

When I started getting seriously into blues Hammond playing I had a lot of his records on heavy rotation, wonderful legacy, in fact I still have an iTunes playlist just titled "Lucky Peterson", sad to have missed him when he played Sydney a few years back, RIP.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals