Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Prince Syracuse '85 Stream

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is so freaking great. One of the great disappointments in my life is that I never saw Prince live, though I had a few opportunities. Love his stuff from all phases of his career.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Questlove from the Roots has been on YT doing live DJ streams for hours a day since the virus. He did a two or three days of Prince and was great. QuestLove had off the board mixes from sound checks, shows that never made it to video, and all sorts a stories about Prince. Also many of Prince's band came in the chats like Wendy and Lisa, Bobby and others. Really cool stuff.

Questlove is still doing these DJ streams playing music and telling stories, definitely something cool to get thru the stay at home with.

The Musicology show in Madison Square Garden remains the best show I"ve ever seen. If you need more Prince live:

Thanks Mark. I've seen some tunes from Detroit from the same tour but not the whole show. Haven't gotten through the whole LA show yet but my impression is that the Musicology show has a few advantages, namely 19 extra years of catalog and arguably a heavier band. I mean, the Revolution are great, but NPG are just stacked. I think the show is a little more polished, but my first impression is that the '85 show has a bit more raw energy and passion to it. YMMV.

I have to say I'm also really impressed/refreshed to see the creativity with simple set design and some lighting and shadows to add so much to the show. Really adds a lot to the flow and theatricality.

Slightly off topic; I saw Prince open for the Rolling Stones in 1981 in front of 100,000 people at the L.A. Coliseum. He was pelted with garbage by the fans in front of the stage. He was just starting to get known at that point. I remember it clearly, bizarre and crazy.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

The Musicology show in Madison Square Garden remains the best show I"ve ever seen. If you need more Prince live:

I have to say I'm also really impressed/refreshed to see the creativity with simple set design and some lighting and shadows to add so much to the show. Really adds a lot to the flow and theatricality.

As ass kicking as the band was, his acoustic solo section was so strong. Great songs hold up on their own with voice and a guitar.

I remember having an upcoming business trip to NYC. Days before, I looked to see what music I could hear while there for a night. Unbelievably, I bought a single face value ticket on Ticketmaster approximately 10 rows from the stage. On that tour, every ticket holder received a copy of the CD. Billboard gave Prince credit for the CDs so he was 'selling' 20,000 units/day while on tour.

Anyone else still picking their jaws up off the floor? Just watched it a second time and will probably have to go through a couple more times before it gets taken down after this weekend.

My wife and I watched most of it the other night and I can't say we were blown away. I saw Prince on the Lovesexy tour and my wife saw him on the Musicology tour. I had high hopes for this '85 show given the set list. Maybe it was the audio (TV speakers) or the camera/editing. We prefer the "Sign' O The Times" feature which I saw when it ran in theaters. And then there's the New Years' Eve concert with Lenny Kravitz, The Time, Larry Graham, Cynthia Robinson and Jerry Martini. That'll make your jaw hit the floor.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I finished watching it this afternoon. I can see why Prince never released it when he was alive - the camera work is pretty blurred and the mix is reminiscent of setting a couple of mics up in the audience. OTOH, the band is magnificent as usual and Prince's fabulous musical and entertainer chops are on full display.

Moe

---

I had that show on a bootleg VHS tape back in the day, but hadn't seen it in ages. It was better than I remembered. It prompted me to post this on Facebook: "Prince was simply the baddest that there ever was. That is all." A few days later, now that the glow has worn off... I totally still stand behind that statement.

I had that show on a bootleg VHS tape back in the day, but hadn't seen it in ages. It was better than I remembered. It prompted me to post this on Facebook: "Prince was simply the baddest that there ever was. That is all." A few days later, now that the glow has worn off... I totally still stand behind that statement.

I second. Saw Musicology tour and is messed me up, real bad.