Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fantom 7 - yes or no?

Considering a Fantom 7 - but not sure i need it/its worth it.

What I have:

1. RD2000 - so no need for V-Pianos/SNS Pianos/EPS etc

2. FA07 - which will be replaced by the Fantom.

3. Legend EXP Hammond Module (so no need for VR/VK organs in the F if/when they arrive).

4. Peak - analogue filter (yum) but 8 voice and quite modern sounding - decent mod matrix.

5. Virus Ti2 - digital but sounds great with lots of mod options.

Why am I looking at the Fantom?

1. Keybed...with aftertouch (if only the FA had this)

2. Control surface. I use switch groups already, but miss the vol sliders per zone I have ton the RD.

3. analogue filter, and modelled V Filters. Might get closer to the music I play live (80s/90s) than Peak? and might add depth/warmth to the synth patches I use on the FA.

4. TR style beat recording. I dont have anything like this and have often thought of adding a 707/TR8s. Fantom should have enough here to make that not necessary for me.

Why am I debating... Its a lot of cash layout when half the functions I dont need. BUT its a new platform that will grow and long outlast the FA series.

So - should I or shouldnt I? If not do I stick with what I have or try something else. Ive considered Kronos but that doesnt offer a 73/76 note board with semi weighted/synth action - and its a really long boot time If theres a power out at a gig (does happen). Also considered montage but the real time control leaves me cold (despite adding some sweet sounds that differ from Rolands).

Thoughts?

Roland RD2000, FA07 (soon to be Fantom7), Legend EXP, Peak, Virus Ti2 Desktop.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems expensive if you are mostly doing covers in a band.

I made a topic some weeks ago, that Fantom, Montage, Kronos are over priced.

Naturally, there was disagreement by owners.

I also have the FA. and Kronos. Its going to take you some time to sell the FA, if that $$ is a consideration.

Seems to be a question of " want " vs " need "

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

While I agree with Greg C mostly (want vs. need), I have owned a FA06 (and own a Kronos) and the Fantom 7 is certainly a higher quality, updated, better keybed, expandable replacement for the FA07. I had a Fantom 7 for 30 days and only returned it to purchase the Jupiter X. You"ll have very little learning curve and be able to download ALL SRX expansions. The Zencore synthesis is even better than the supernatural synth synthesis on the FA07. The keybed is the best I"ve ever played. Greg is correct that you probably won"t get what you want when you sell the FA07 but you WONT regret getting the Fantom 7 ( as long as $$$ isn"t too much of an obstacle). The only reason I opted for the Jupiter X was because my Kronos already covered everything the Fantom would give me. But I still loved checking it out for 30 days ð

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

While I agree with Greg C mostly (want vs. need), I have owned a FA06 (and own a Kronos) and the Fantom 7 is certainly a higher quality, updated, better keybed, expandable replacement for the FA07. I had a Fantom 7 for 30 days and only returned it to purchase the Jupiter X. You"ll have very little learning curve and be able to download ALL SRX expansions. The Zencore synthesis is even better than the supernatural synth synthesis on the FA07. The keybed is the best I"ve ever played. Greg is correct that you probably won"t get what you want when you sell the FA07 but you WONT regret getting the Fantom 7 ( as long as $$$ isn"t too much of an obstacle). The only reason I opted for the Jupiter X was because my Kronos already covered everything the Fantom would give me. But I still loved checking it out for 30 days ð

I thought of the Jupiter - and its a much better board for my use really (sound wise). HOWEVER, its useless as a controller board. The "synth"" action board needs to control my EXP, Peak and Virus across Midi Channels 2-4 at least (more is preferable for the Virus) - and for those channels to be enables and defeated in real time. The Jupiter doesnt do that unfortunately.

it is a bit of need v want. If my FA had aftertouch I probably woundnt be thinking about it - at least not at this point, but that a function I could really use live across not only the board, but my synth modules.

I have the FA-06 on top of the K2-88. The FA-06 keybed is ass. I"ve wanted to replace it for a long time but I really like the studio set architecture and built in sampler. Any upgrade except the Fantom would also call for the purchase of a Roland SP-404. I hate extraneous doo-dads. But I wanted to give Roland at least till April to shake out any bugs. The new Fantom had some head scratcher omissions. The Fantom G was more robust in a lot of ways. Not sure how things stand to. After The Rona the last thing I need are rig updates.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I had a good offer to buy my FA-07 and was going to fund an upgrade to a flagship level board. In the end, I'm not going to and just plan on keeping the FA-07. As you say, it's about a "want" vs. a "need" and the price difference for flagship build quality, aftertouch and ZenCore aren't really worth it to me. Here is why I am passing on it.

The Fantoms and Jupiter X are a lot heavier to schlep around. I've been home for so long I remember that the FA-07 is well under 20 pounds and is a great carry around board for jam sessions, rehearsals and smaller gigs. There will come a day when we get out to play again with other people.

I have been using the trigger pads a lot, mostly for loops and backing tracks. So that is a capability i am using every day that I give up on the Jupiter X and need the Fantom for. I guess I could come up with a solution using an iPad or an Akai sample pad playback, but there's that.

I think the $30 per year Core license of Roland Cloud gives me like 3,000 presets and Roland sounds through Zenology. There is work to do, but the Zenology engine sounds pretty great in Mainstage and Logic Pro, especially the pads. I have other keyboards, controllers, a laptop, and there is plenty of great sounds on Roland Cloud to compare the price of hardware to.

I actually think I would fall in love with the Fantom, but not sure it's worth a $2,000+ from selling the FA to buying the Fantom. And it's harder to carry around. I think the Jupiter X is cool but I'm not sure I would really take it out as much. And for the same amount of money, I can keep my FA-07 as a board to carry around and gig with, and easily afford Roland Cloud Ultimate membership for 3 years, plus buy something else huge and different like Omnisphere, or just save my money for a rainy day.

What do I think of the FA-07? I think the SN synths and Axial stuff is certainly good enough for my needs and I make use of enough features not to want to give them up. I don't think the piano, EP, clav and organ are particularly great, so there's a mediocity factor there and everyone else I play with seems happy with them.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I thought about get the FA-07 but struggled with whether or not it is enough of an upgrade. The 07 wasn"t available when I pre-ordered the 06.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I purchased the Fantom 7 about 3 months ago and very satisfied and will keep but pricey. Still needs new updates but they are coming from what I hear.

The keybed is really good but some adjustments have to be made for playing piano if you are used to weighted keys. However I prefer weighted keys for piano but as I get

older most of us have to make some sacrifices if you have to carry your equipment now. I still have the Kronos 2 88 if I need for piano only gig. Very playable for piano but

takes a little adjustment as the sw keys you can't dig into the keys like weighted keys. Have to be more precise but seems to be working for me.

The piano's, brass, synths are very good. The eps. and organ are so so but I have a MOJO for organ not really concerned about that.

Built quality is excellent and the 7 is 33 lbs. Touchscreen is very responsive and alot of videos available because the manual is very strange to comprehend.

I was on the fence for a long time because of the price but all in all great keyboard. The analog filter is really nice and you can get some really good sounds from

back in the day for your synths. The synth section is the most impressive part of the keyboard especially the pads to me.

Hope this helps!

The MAP on the Fantom 7 is $3599. Totally Outrageous. That KB is targeted for a player that wants ONE KB to do everything. That doesn't sound like you.

Considering the limited issues you want to address, I wouldn't spend that kind of $$$$. Your major beef with your current set up is the keybed on your FA. You already have the Peak that has a GREAT analogy filter SO you might want to buy a Controller with a much better keybed and save yourself a lot of money.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I had a Fantom 6 for 3 weeks and returned it. I did not find it disappointing, just not the right board for me. The semi-weighted action is amazing, the best I've played, and quite useable for pianos as semi-weighted keys go. I really liked the V-Piano, and it was the first keyboard in which I've liked it. Read somewhere that Roland had modified it for the Fantom, and based on my experience I believe that.

However, the aftertouch required a lot of pressure to activate. Some may like it that way? I personally though the activation pressure threshold was much too high.

Also, the keyboard is not very quiet, there's a pretty loud low frequency thump. That's kind of a nitpick, but it's something people should be aware of before buying.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I think the FA-07 will be one of those boards that I keep until it dies and then leave it at the curb. The plastic case and cheap buttons don't really retain their value even through it sounds good and the 07 has the best overall keybed of the three model sizes they made. I swear I use it more than any of more expensive instruments.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

The MAP on the Fantom 7 is $3599. Totally Outrageous. That KB is targeted for a player that wants ONE KB to do everything. That doesn't sound like you.

Considering the limited issues you want to address, I wouldn't spend that kind of $$$$. Your major beef with your current set up is the keybed on your FA. You already have the Peak that has a GREAT analogy filter SO you might want to buy a Controller with a much better keybed and save yourself a lot of money.

Mike T.

we are on the same page, Mike. I have encouraged keyboard shoppers to carefully scrutinize their major purchases.

Options are changing. Plus my forecast is lower prices on high priced gear.

[70's Songwriter]

The Fantom would seem to be the only board you could replace your FA with that would give you everything you want. If you can handle the cost and additional weight, it will probably make you happy.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Fantom pricing in the UK is surprisingly good actually.

New Fantom 7 £2700. New Montage 7 £2400, New Kronos 61 £2300 (cheapest but only 61 keys which Id rather not take) - or £2600 for the 73 (with weighted keys I dont want).

OK Fantom is the most expensive, but thats down to its age. It will drop steadily over this year I think.

Given all the 73/76 note instruments are within £300 of each other (approx within 10%) - and the price point in general, im looking at it from "there pretty much all the same price".

I think the FA-07 will be one of those boards that I keep until it dies and then leave it at the curb. The plastic case and cheap buttons don't really retain their value even through it sounds good and the 07 has the best overall keybed of the three model sizes they made. I swear I use it more than any of more expensive instruments.

Is that mostly down to weight? I would think the Forte would have the FA beat for most of the sounds. But dragging around a 41 pound hammer action board could be a drag.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Fantom-7--roland-fantom-7-music-workstation-keyboard

$3599 for US shoppers. Your UK price seems to be $300 less , even with the exchange rate.

We have a difficult economy, and its expected to remain that way for some months.

History suggest that prices will decrease on high priced items. If I were you, see if you

can track inventory levels at your dealer. As inventory builds, dealers and the factory

get more generous on margin.

Its hard to sit still when you desire an item like this. My forecast is more savings thru the summer.

[70's Songwriter]

Yes, it's a weight and portability decision, Randelph. I have gone very long stretches with the FA-07 in the car and never bringing it back into the house.

Most of your wants have to do with controls/pads/aftertouch. A comprehensive midi controller would be a lot cheaper and take care of those. Now, if you're wanting a full keyboard to replace the FA-07 for gigs, then a midi controller obviously isn't going to do that for you. Although 73/76-note controllers are scarce.

Your RD-2000 is awfully good as it is. The Fantom is only really worth it if you want a do-everything board. That's why I bought my Motif XF8 for a similar price, I needed one board that could work for everything (and I use a midi controller to address a second channel's worth of sounds). If you've got a lot of disposable income and it's burning a hole in your pocket, maybe the Fantom 7 is good. But you already have so many other boards that cover most of your needs. If you need a one-board gigging and studio solution, then the Fantom is fine. Maybe see if there's something else you have that the Fantom can replace as well. Might make the cost more reasonable.

I have no problem paying a premium for the top-of-the-line instruments, but it's only worth it if you need it. Save up bit by bit and over time if needed (that's what I did - a portion of gig money over three years).

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Well I paid $2700 out the door for Fantom 7 actually $2699.99. Anyway depending on relations with China and other countries where alot of the keyboards are shipped from depending on who you ask the price could be much higher and I don't see prices

being lower but what do I know about this. My Fantom says made in Taiwan as I was just curious where it was sent from. Ultimately this is your decision comes down to your financial situation and if you wanna spend the money for that or

something else. One thing for sure it is built like a tank. Good luck in your decision.

The Fantom would seem to be the only board you could replace your FA with that would give you everything you want. If you can handle the cost and additional weight, it will probably make you happy.
g.

I agree. If you like the FA-07, you'll love the Fantom 7. I picked up a Fantom 7 late last year; it was essentially an upgrade from my Jupiter 50. Granted, it is 13 lbs heavier, but it is built like a tank; everything onboard screams 'quality' manufacturing. My other main, live axe is a Stage 3,76; the build quality is very similar. I gigged the Fantom 7 a couple of times before everything live came to a halt. I set it up above my Stage 3, then interchanged gigging sounds between the two - pianos, organs (my own cobbled together Tonewheel Scene in the Fantom), pads, strings, leads, etc... The sound clarity and presence of the Fantom is off-the-charts good. Granted, the Stage organs were much stronger. Will be curious to see what Roland does re a Fantom organ model.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

g.

I agree. If you like the FA-07, you'll love the Fantom 7. I picked up a Fantom 7 late last year; it was essentially an upgrade from my Jupiter 50. Granted, it is 13 lbs heavier, but it is built like a tank; everything onboard screams 'quality' manufacturing. My other main, live axe is a Stage 3,76; the build quality is very similar. I gigged the Fantom 7 a couple of times before everything live came to a halt. I set it up above my Stage 3, then interchanged gigging sounds between the two - pianos, organs (my own cobbled together Tonewheel Scene in the Fantom), pads, strings, leads, etc...

The sound clarity and presence of the Fantom is off-the-charts good.

Granted, the Stage organs were much stronger. Will be curious to see what Roland does re a Fantom organ model.

Not sure from your post if you kept the Fantom.

PLEASE elaborate with vivid descriptions of the sound quality. I've got a Korg Pa1000, came out in 2017. My most recent top-quality boards have been the Yamaha XS7, the NS 88 Classic, the Korg M3.

I have been ASTOUNDED at the sound quality, two orders of magnitude better than what i'd had before. Altogether the sounds have a sheen that I'd describe as cinematic, breathtaking really.

- Basses womp, many to choose from, really inspiring

- EPs, good, not outstanding, but still mostly better than my previous boards

- AP, love my octave layered souped up patches, could play it and others customized for piano exclusively, so satisfying

- Brass and Woodwinds blow me away. Could never play either with any confidence, now they 'sing' under my fingers

- Organ? OK, not good enough at organ to know the difference, still the NS for that

- Guitar, again, blown away, goes beyond good guitars to 'super guitars' that are a blast to play, never used to use them much

- Synth and Pad, don't have much of an opinion, not much selection, serviceable

- Drums used for rhythm patterns: punchy and authentic like I've never heard before

And add to that it's really fast and fun modifying sounds on this board. Basically, you're working with 4 sounds at once, a Keyboard Set. Each of the individual Sounds can be edited in amazing and excruciating detail in its own Sound Mode (up to 24 osc), something I rarely do, not my cup of tea unless that sound is critical. However, on the Keyboard Set level, each of the 4 sounds can get a metric shit-tonne of offset editing (offset from the original Sound) that can really transform your sound every which way. THAT'S my kind of sound editing! Fast and fun!

I have chalked up this very noticeable increase in sound quality as being part of the latest wave in keyboard sound quality of the last 5 years or so. Am eager to find out about other boards that soar beyond previous generations, and which sounds they really do well.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Well - Im really on the verge now. found a fantastic price.

Its actually not a shop. I was googling regularly to see what was happening to prices. Generally the Fantom 7 has stabilized across the board at £2725 with the 6 at £2550. I found a couple of ex demo boards going tor £2600 which had me enquiring on there condition - obviously with shops not open it the UK a demo unit is pointless, and if they have no other stock its a way of keeping cash flow going.

UK price to US price is generally the same in £ as US has in $. Pure Exchange rate would have us slightly lower than that BUT we have higher import tax and VAT on top (20%). So generally what you pay in $ we pay in £ give or take.

Then I found a new board even cheaper - AND the seller would consider offers. this got me both interested and worried. Did some background checking - and some two way conversation withe seller. Appears he is a supplier for education normally. Doesnt sell to the general public or have a shop as such. Again our schools/colleges/universities are all closed so he has no sales/trade at present. Consequently he put out some adds to the general public to try and keep some sales coming during lockdown (education at least). With no overheads, and being used to a tighter margin than shops in general - and with no other income he was prepared to go quite low. He doesnt carry stock - its shipped direct from Roland UK and any sale he makes (as long as its not loosing money) is a win for him at present.

So - Made him an offer - he countered and we have an agreed price - providing Roland UK have on on Tuesday (Bank holiday here on Monday - and they had 3 in stock Friday so should be OK).

Price? £2450.......

Really not sure I can NOT get one at that price. Would you US members think again at $2500 for a Fantom 7 ??

Right now there are known limits/bugs/problems with the Fantom 7 for sequencer. If you use the FA-07 for sequencer, quantization the way you want, custom arpeggios, you do not want to use the Fantom for sequencing.

The Fantom sounds great and has a great engine, build, control surfaces, etc. but is very lacking in sequencing, export, multisampling and few other things.

This topic is still top of mind for me between selling my FA-07 for a Fantom 7, vs. a Jupiter X, vs. getting a Jupiter X and keeping the FA-07 for portability and getting around, or doing nothing.

I dont sequence at all. Im a live player. Nor do I use samples very often. Occasionally - for instance the girl laugh intro to Durans Hungry like the wolf. I have this loaded in my FA as an MP3 and assigned to a pad. As long as the Fantom works that same way Im happy enough with the sample side as well.

Custom arpegios is the only thing you listed that I want. the FA is a PITA to do. You have to record a sequence, then export that sequence into the arp. I kind of want to step record a pattern directly into the Arp - but its not the end of the world if I cant do that. Id like to be able to construct a custom arp is some way mind.

The Jupiter X would be a better choice for me as far as sounds go (ie from the Jupiter) BUT I also need my synth action board to be a controller for my Legend EXP, Peak and Virus- so I need be able to trransmit on 3 midi channels externally (with no sound from the Jupiter) and to be able to split/layer them - and have real time control of their volumes. Jupiter doesnt do that.

Ideally what I want is a Jupiter sound engine, with Fantom zone/switch group methodology and control surface. That would bo me.

However, the aftertouch required a lot of pressure to activate.

I don't know about the Fantom, but at least some Rolands have the aftertouch strip located some ways back from the front of the keys. So if you slide your finger toward the rear of the kay as you press, you may find that it does not require so much pressure to get the effect you want.

Most of your wants have to do with controls/pads/aftertouch. A comprehensive midi controller would be a lot cheaper and take care of those. Now, if you're wanting a full keyboard to replace the FA-07 for gigs, then a midi controller obviously isn't going to do that for you. Although 73/76-note controllers are scarce.

Yes they are. In fact, if you want a 7x-key non-hammer action controller, I suspect that the Fantom 7 is the best you'd find out of any keyboard, with or without sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Still very much a consideration for me, too. Really like the sound of the Fantom but I"m not really clear on the vision for Zencore.

Fantom could be a dream workhorse for me too.

I think the Jupiter X may still be a 'classic' piece of gear in 10 years or more while the Fantoms seem to get longer in the tooth.

I swore the FA-07 would be my last workstation and yet here I am evaluating the Fantom as contender.