Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone use music notation software?

I have no real use for it, but since I'm currently unemployed and bored I downloaded a free version called MuseScore

To my surprise, I've become quite addicted to it!

Haven't bothered with any music theory since the early 80s, so it took me quite a while to do this (as yet incomplete) score of one of my tunes

Thank God for the 'Undo' function! And the 'Playback' function is pretty handy, too :)

1010.thumb.png.d0dc0b2398958526ea024cc24cd41740.png

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an old copy of Encore by Passport Designs. The company that made this is no longer in business, the app was purchased by GVOX and I believe they no longer support it IF they are still in business.

It still works and fulfills my needs for simply 'head charts'.

In my duo we have over 600 songs, I've made backing tracks for each one myself, and when we play the song I bring up either a word/chord chart or a notation head chart. I don't rely on the charts for most songs, but I like them for two reasons (1) if we haven't played the song in a few months or more it's nice to have a little refresher and (2) since I play with backing tracks, if an audience member comes up in the middle of a song and interrupts with a request or something, the chart helps me get back on track with the backing track. (Why do people think they can ask you a question while you are singing or playing the saxophone?)

I save all my charts as JPG files as they open in photo viewer very quickly and I like files that Windows can open without another app.

I've been thinking about MuseScore, but since Encore works fine in Win10, I have no real reason to learn to use another app for the same thing.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

I haven't used that feature in years probably but I actually did use it the other day within Digital Performer. I was looping to figure out the notes in a sax solo and when I was done I went to the notation tab and printed those midi notes out. Up until she met me my wife was essentially a sight reader only and this is a part she's working out for the EWI 5000. I gave her the print out and, of course, she quickly pointed out where I'd gotten a couple of the notes wrong!

Yep, I've been a Finale user since version 2014. I started with Finale Notepad 2008, but I outgrew it pretty quickly. Got the full version in 2014, and upgraded as things went along. Currently on v.26. I wish they had kept the PDF importing feature though; only in 2014/2014.5, which is 32-bit and won't run on Catalina (which is what the new computer will be running).

I've used MuseScore in a pinch on Windows, and it does the job okay.

Both Finale and MuseScore have the undo function luckily!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Back in my studio musician days, I was reasonably good at sight reading. When piano roll MIDI came out, that skill atrophied, to say the least! I have Notion, which is a pretty cool program and integrates well with Studio One. But I pretty much use it only for article or book screen shots that require showing something in notation.

I love Musescore. TBH, I hadn't used Sibelius and Finale much, but Musescore works well for me and they update it pretty regularly. I find that it's pretty easy to search for "Musescore fermata" or whatever feature and get results from their support. The only issue is that sometimes I get the results for previous versions.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Ha, I'm one (among others) who certainly remembers that song very well!

You still in that attic room?

Does MuseScore work like a sequencer? Meaning you can play the score through a MIDI device, VST, etc.?

nat

No, I'm in the bedroom these days. I'm gradually working my way from top to bottom of the house!

I'm the wrong person to ask about sequencers and MIDI. I don't fully understand such things. So I'll say a cautious 'probably' ;)

Edit: Vocal arrangement completed

1019.thumb.png.0fb39207067a73c69285fe7cc6ed574b.png

Does MuseScore work like a sequencer? Meaning you can play the score through a MIDI device, VST, etc.?

Re: MIDI

I don't know if Musescore can output MIDI, but you can input MIDI via a keyboard. You can also import and export the scores as MIDI files. There's a piano roll editor in addition to the traditional score editor. And a built-in synthesizer with General MIDI orchestral sounds, which can be upgraded with sounds fonts.

Big fan of Musescore. The online tutorials for US$25 are decent. The design was a bit disjointed a few years ago (not better or worse than other software) - but the guy who runs the Tantacrul Youtube Channel joined their team and it's been improving - which is amazing for Open Source. I think it might actually get ahead of the commercial offerings.

Note: Tantacrul makes videos criticizing software design, specifically music score programs.

I'm a good sightreader. When I was in school and sightreading every day, I was an excellent sightreader. But since I have no reason to sightread extremely difficult pieces of music anymore. Garden variety pop songs are still a breeze but I'd need some practice to get to where I was decades ago.

For MIDI sequencing, like Craig I prefer the piano roll over notation. It gives more information at a glance like actual duration of the notes rather than the rough estimate notation gives.

But for reading, nothing beats good old notation. BTW, I'd rather do notation than TAB.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

I use it regularly. Both Sibelius and Dorico. Dorico is for sure the future, but my composition instructor uses Sibelius, so that's what my homework is done in. Music notation is my preferred vehicle. I deal with piano roll, but I prefer to write with notation, and then export the MIDI to DAW, or play it in from the score, depending.

I don't know how you guys do it!

I tried doing a vocal/chords/lyrics score of another one of my songs last night and ended up in hemidemisemiquaver territory. I nearly had a nervous breakdown!

So I abandoned it and did an ultra-simplified version instead (see attachment)

This one has been covered rather beautifully by the one and only Ernest Buckley. Here's a link to his version. I love it!!

1020.thumb.png.e69704b44f37645ca69faa9107e2bbe6.png