Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: well, just lost my job

There have been many rounds of workforce reductions and maybe I shouldn't have felt as secure as I did.

I worked for them direct for 15 years and for one of their reps for 7 years before that. Always had a company provided car, phone, computer, all my clothes and bags have their logo, and I didn't even bother having a personal email, just used my work one. Then all of a sudden, blind sided. Email cutoff, have to turn in car, laptop, and iPad along with any demos, tools, etc by Friday. Scrambling to get all my account contact info (like banks, social media, etc) switched over to a personal gmail account that I just set up today, except if they need validation from the account on file, I can't access that now. Plus have 2 days to procure, register, license, and insure a car. I can keep my phone by taking a form they sent me in to take over financial responsibility. At 49, this is the first time I've ever been let go from a job. I wasn't ready. I should have had backup plans, a resume up to date ready to go, etc. it's all of a sudden a huge scramble. At least I'll get enough severance to carry me a few months but at really isn't much if I can't quickly find a job in this economy. Further complicating things is that, being divorced, I can't just pick up and take a move in another city without abandoning my kids, which severely restricts my options with a career like mine.

Advice to others: always be prepared for the worst.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan,

I'm really sorry this has happened to you. It's tough to be blindsided. Recovering from all those changes (getting a car, email, cell phone, etc.) simultaneously makes it all harder.

Hang tough and take one thing at a time. I pray that you'll get what you need quickly. Remember, you only need one job, the right job, to replace your old one.

You seem to be a smart guy, good communicator and I suspect did your job well.

You will persevere and get through this.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Well, .

I'm so sorry to read this Dan. The current corporate climate of zero loyalty to employees (and the complementary end of employee trust of / loyalty to employers) is one of many things I've seen decline over the years.

I assume / hope that unemployment compensation (in addition to severance?) is available; I know that got me through more than one rough time in my 40s/50s.

Including you in my prayers....

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

The first time losing a job is horrible. FWIW, I worked in the software industry for 25 years and got laid off several times as companies came and went. Lost my job after 9/11, for instance.

Don't get down on yourself, and I can only say that I usually ended up in a better situation.

Moe

---

It may seem dark right now, especially if you're not accustomed to adversity. I've had really crappy events be the trigger for very positive life changes, and I'm not the only one. Try to find an attitude of receptiveness to that.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Fifteen + years is a pretty good run these days in a job Dan. I've never stayed at a job that a long in my entire working career.

I know it's tough, but at least you're entering a pandemic where there is more support and awareness in the economy in terms of increased unemployment benefits, mortgage forbearance programs, renters protection, etc. It's never easy, but you will learn from the experience and as you have already demonstrated, will be better prepared moving forward.

Although I've never met you, based on your postings you strike me as a pretty sharp chap with a lot of marketable skills and experiences, an organized and hard worker. You're going to be OK. Like Mo, I've been through this many times starting in the great recession back in 2008. It's kinda like the gym; no pain, no gain. You will grow, and will be led down paths you would not been shown had you not gone through this.

Make sure you get enough rest, exercise, play music, and network. In my experience, every job I've ever got came from some connection of people in my circle.

Yikes, I've been there! Sorry, it's never easy or fun.

One of the two times, I was even asked to stay a week and half and train my replacement. I needed the paycheck and the time to regroup so I did it. Did not sit well at all.

I have NEVER used company email/phone for any other purpose than business related activity and I strongly suggest that everybody avoid using anything that belongs to the company for any personal purpose.

Don't log on to your personal anything, keep it all business and your private life private.

Not sure how you get your phone completely out of their grasp? FWIW, unless you spend a lot of personal time talking on your phone, just give that one back to them and get a Tracfone. As little as I talk on there I am paying around $100 a year to keep a $30 phone up and running. Text is $5 per 1000, use that. Cut your costs as much as possible.

I recently started using Reverb and have found it very easy and low fees. After years of eBay it is a welcome change. Anything musical you can live without can become income. I've made considerable side money buying and selling.

Made a lot of space too.

Be well, be safe! Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

... network. In my experience, every job I've ever got came from some connection of people in my circle.
I want to repeat that for emphasis. I've done a lot of things in my life. One of them was developing a job seekers' workshop. It turns out that most people get their jobs through contacts with people they know. Maybe it's not true for you or in your particular field but think about the other people you have worked with and how they got their jobs, and how you got the different jobs you've had. If there's one commonality, I'll bet large dollars that it's that people found out about a job through someone they knew. It's true for me and true for most people. Talk to everybody you know. Someone out there will be your connection to your next employment situation -- or starting your own business or consulting practice.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I worked in computer biz for over 35+ years some side trips back to music. So survived a lot of layoff and got nailed by a couple and never a good feeling getting laid off. But have to focus on future and try to stay positive, if you don't it comes thru in interviews and that's not good. Also have to be open to changing directions if necessary. One thing working in computers and surviving into my 60's when they feel people over 30 are over the hill is being flexible. Looks at your skills and think about how they would be a positive in other areas that will make for a lot more doors to knock on.

Keep your head up and as the old saying goes.... Where there's a will there's a way!

I'm sorry to hear that Dan. Fifteen years isn't bad these days. Good luck on finding a new job. My family went through something similar when I was little and it will eventually get better. Live cheaply in-between as much as possible. Particularly now, it might not be as easy to find a job quickly. Hopefully your field of work has a good pool of jobs in ordinary circumstances (unlike what happened with us).

Best of luck.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Same here. I had told people when I bought my first house in OCT, after getting cold feet three earlier times in my life, that it would be OK this time because my job was secure as long as the company didn't go bankrupt or lay off roughly half of its people (or more), and that in turn would only happen if there was some world event that caused all live entertainment and public gatherings to seize up. Oops!

We were on furlough from the moment of lockdown by the county governments in mid-March, with only two hours notice, not knowing if we'd be hired back but remaining hopeful. Until today.

21+ years and not even a goodbye or thank you from all of those that I worked with for that long, and so many years of sacrifices (massive overtime, vacations forfeited, etc.) and super-low pay compared to the computer industry. All for my passion for the effect my work had on live entertainment, for the customers, and for my incredibly and uniquely gifted co-workers.

I'm scared out of my wits. Most of my opportunities are elsewhere (especially Virginia and thereabouts, with NASA and related contracting firms), but at age 62, I don't want to once again leave behind a place and people that I love, as I foolishly did when I left Boston in late 1991 for California and went from being the happiest of my life to being depressed for at least a full year until I moved out of SF proper and into Berkeley and the East Bay. I can't do that again; I have the best musical colleagues of my life, as well as the best friends, a great house and neighbourhood and overall community. But I can't take a job in Silicon Valley again, or I'd be dead in a year from a car crash.

I'm on bare bones budget as it is, and have always led a frugal lifestyle, but my fixed expenses are now just under $4k/month, and closer to $4500 after food, utilities, car insurance (expensive even though I only drive 1200 miles a year). Food costs have skyrocketed recently as well, and I imagine inflation is going to be crazy due to increased transport costs and necessary bonuses for risk-taking workers.

It's highly risky, and I still have an awful lot to offer as an engineer, but I could retire early, but that is a non-reversible decision. Yet I won't be able to make my bills the minute the federal add-on stops, and unemployment insurance ends in September anyway. Who could have predicted that we'd be in a situation where every other job with our unique set of skills disappears simultaneously? I'll check Dolby soon.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I second the statement about jobs coming from connections vs. recruiters. Unfortunately most of my connections are now dead. But I still am convinced that's the main way of getting a job we will actually like. The reason I got my job in Pro Audio is that my most recent boss had applied for it first, but turned it down due to wanting to keep his private consulting firm going and thus not being able to commit to a 40 hour work week. So he recommended me for the position, and as my main personal reference had already been offered the job, I managed to impress someone who was notorious for intimidating interviewees almost enough to wet their pants. :-)

As I was moving from one industry (computers) to another (pro audio), I think the "connections" aspect definitely made a bigger difference than usual. But I suppose when the economy is rolling and there are more jobs than people, that's also a good time to just hop into something you may not normally look like the best candidate for, and then if you prove yourself, no one will mind later on. :-)

This time around, I will once again have to switch industries as the one I had hoped to devote the rest of my life to is dying VERY quickly. I am looking to get into software support for health research.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Dan, I can really relate to what you're going through, but don't blame yourself. There are decisions we have to make in life that are based on calculated risks about the short-term vs. the long-term, and if we never take those risks (such as my chickening out of home-buying three times over a 25 year period), the consequences get bigger each time.

I too have never been unemployed until now, so I had worked for almost 40 years straight. It definitely has made me more sympathetic to the chronically unemployed, now that I know what a hassle it is to deal with the bureaucracy, and how many snafus there can be that make you miss received payments in a timely fashion. And now, when they're so overwhelmed, some aren't getting their checks at all.

And then of course there are the working musicians, the gig economy people, etc., who have had to live with a lack of security their entire lives. I admire people with that courage; I'm too cowardly.

The skillset you all have will pay off in the way of finding a new job.

The current climate doesn't nake it any easier but as mentioned, unemployment benefits and debt forbearance provide some relief.

While getting your finances in order and looking for another job, spend more time doing those things that may have been pushed aside as a hard charging employee.

Starting your own consulting business should definitely be a consideration too. There is no layoff.

Hang in there. This too shall pass. You will land on solid ground. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Dan, and others who have recently lost jobs, don't be too hard on yourself if it's difficult to find positions of interest, or if you don't seem to get responses, as this is an unprecedented time, and there are about 1000 applicants for each position I file for. This will pass, but it's hard to believe that when bills are due. Have faith that the current situation will not persist in its current state, whatever happens.

Another thing that my brother told me is that you don't have to collect every unemployment payment available; you can stagger your claims. My brother did this during a major downturn (might have been post-9/11) as he wasn't confident any job he did get at that point would be long-lived (he was right!), and knowing that when we file for unemployment, we are pre-authorized for a set amount that can be distributed multiple times over the period of 12 months, not necessarily contiguously.

So if you're able to live on less -- especially given the extra from the feds -- and you're not sure whatever you take on next will last even a full year, it's a gamble either way, but it's worth considering a stagger approach. But not while the feds are tagging on an extra amount; only after that part ends. It would be foolish to throw that away, given what we're all up against.

Dan, Mark and everyone else who has received similar bad news recently,

First of all, my sincere condolences. These are challenging times for sure. If you are like most people, we always think that these are things that happen to other people. Of course you don't deserve your recent hard luck, especially given that you are dedicated and intelligent workers. Your employers did not want to be in this situation any more than you did and, given that they were happy to benefit from your fine and committed service for years and would have continued to maintain the status quo had the world not changed. In addition to your experience and expertise in your jobs, as musicians you have developed resilience, interpersonal skills and entrepreneurial instincts that many younger people may have not yet learned. You are the wisened and experienced gunfighters. Though, for a while, you have the right to feel all of the worries and frustrations that go with your current situations, I sincerely hope that the fighter in you makes you seek and take advantage of any new opportunities that you might have missed had you not been presented with your new challenges. Obviously, you have supporters here and likely elsewhere. From my experience, I think that bitterness (no matter how justified it may be) can emanate from a person like shit stuck to their shoe, so keep that in check. It acts as a people repellant if you don't. As I always reminded my former students, remember to be grateful for what you do have and move on from there.

I'm sorry if any of that sounds trite or preachy, as that is not my intention. Kick these tough times in the ass and we hope for all the best for you going forward.

Sorry to hear this Dan. So many times in life things happen which seem unspeakably dreadful, and yet when you look back at them in a year or so's time, you actually think 'thank goodness that happened' because it resulted in something else which could never have come about without the horrible event.

Try to cling to that thought if things get difficult. Your life will change but it could be for the better. You now have all sorts of options which you did not have before. Take it one day at a time and try to stay positive. You will get through this.

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Sorry to read of your problems Dan.

At 49 years old I too was made redundant but luckily for me was given three months notice with pay. Same as you though with company car and IT kit.

I bounced back and got a job two weeks after termination and started with the new company two weeks later.

Three years later got made redundant again following the loss of a major contract forcing restructuring.

I then set up my own Company and worked for myself until I retired.

Stay positive and get out there in the job market asap

Best wishes in getting yourself sorted.

Col

Dan, if there's anything you need (even if it's just continued venting), please don't hesitate to ask. I can't speak for everyone on the forum, obviously, but community is more important than ever in a time like this, and we need to be able to rely on each other. Best wishes for you. We're here.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.