Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How did you get started playing keyboards in a band?

^ Win! Seriously, this post made my day. It sounds like you owe your musical career to a surprisingly helpful Jr High bully!

I'd like to think I would have started playing rock anyway, but he certainly accelerated things. The drummer ended up in prison and died years ago...

Moe

---

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never had formal piano lessons, though there was a piano in the house that i'd pick out melodies on. But my parents had some friends who had this big (it seemed to me) Magnavox or some similar organ that totally fascinated me. My first musical training was when i started off playing flute at 9 years old. Then in teenage years, being tagged as a flute player was an invitation to get beat up so i "borrowed" my sister's nylon string guitar, put steel strings on it, and ran it through a home-made amp to start a band with some friends. That band merged with another band which resulted in a total of four guitar players - so as the least experienced i was elected (volunteered) to play bass. Next band, playing bass - but hearing the Doors' Light My Fire (long version) totally blew me away. Learned to play the entire organ solo on bass, after which i traded the bass in on my dream instrument - a Vox Continental.

After that it was the usual path - Vox replaced by Hammond, added Rhodes, Moog, Clavinet. Played full time for a while in the 70's (i could make a whole set list out of songs with the word "Boogie" in the title). Quit that to finish my college degree, then various bands off and on since then.

- Jimbo

I ended up joining a band last year due to one of my friends telling me about a band that was looking for members. I started with my Minilogue for 2 gigs, but it wouldn"t cut through the heavy rhythm section (both electric and acoustic drums, percussion, bass, digital piano, and guitar).

I now gig with my MX49. The only issue I have is most of the songs we play are current Top 40 type stuff. Not so much oldies and foreign music (but the latter that we probably couldn"t do) that I"m a fan of. The bandleader/guitarist (who is very nice, he actually plays tons of instruments and has made several albums and composed and written tons of songs and was able to understand my MX49 not cutting through in the mix when I let him know) said we can add some suggestions for sometime in the future. My bandmates were thinking of The Final Countdown, Another One Bites The Dust, and 24K Magic.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

I started with my piano teacher at age 9. He was getting me work solo and with with bands When I was 16. That was 1972.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.