Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Keyboard Amp for Rehearsal?

I play in two bands and both rehearse at members homes. I run thru a small mixer into the PA in both, and also put a 'more me' feed into my IEM"s. This way I don"t blast everyone thru the PA.

On a few occasions in other locations I"ve used an Alto 10' wedge for monitoring myself - instead of IEM.

When playing out live I always go with IEM"s - using a PA monitor mix and my 'more me' - regardless of amplification.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I request no keys in my monitor mix. I run the Shure IEMs in mono Mix Mode. A channel is my monitor send the B channel is my keyboard sub mix from my rack line mixer.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Don't have one, but the new JBL Eon One Compact is an interesting box. Battery powered so rehearsals can be anywhere, it has BT streaming and there's quite a mixer on the back and with an app- reverb/delay/etc available, so no need for a separate mixer. Output is on the low side though, 112 db spl?

I was not aware of these battery powered monitors but the concept of course makes sense.

While doing some research on the JBL, I came across the Bose S1 Pro which sounded even better to my ears (I mean, on Youtube). However, most videos are about singer/songwriter reviews (mainly playing guitar).

Anybody that has experience with (2x) Bose S1 Pro as digital piano monitor?

I use a Yamaha DBR10. It weighs just 23 lbs, sounds decent, has two inputs, and is pretty loud (max SPL 129 db).

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

been using an alto TS 312 , i like the over all sound , certainly loud enough , but i'm considering a motion sound KP 610 amp for the stereo . not sure though about

how it would compare sound wise with the alto . anyone with first hand experience ? i've read , the new generation motion sound amps are better than the previous ones .

i briefly owned a KP-500s a few years ago and i can say all my stuff sounds better through the alto , it's just not stereo .the effect on the MS was pretty remarkable though .i'm still

looking for an amp , other than my 130lb 3300 that does my viscount live justice

For a rehearsal, I would prefer to plug into the PA system or directly into a full-range speaker wedge. Most rehearsal spaces here have QSC K10s or Yamaha DBR10s, which are fine by me. If I'm really stuck, I bring my Mackie SRM150 which is surprisingly powerful, not full range, but does the job for running through song forms on a Rhodes patch.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

One of the QSC CP8 speakers normally used live as vocal monitors. Also use a single board in rehearsal, run both channels into the CP8, and position it for my listening. Run a long XLR out of the CP8 to the PA. Running mono in rehearsal provides folks on both sides/ends of the space full range keyboard rather than LH or RH stereo bias. Lightweight, quick and easy - makes rehearsal setup/teardown a treat.

Kawai KG-2D / Yamaha CP33 S90ES MX49 CP4 P515 / Hammond SK1 / NS3 88 / NS3Compact

QSC K8.2s K10.2s KSubs / SoundcraftUi24 / SSv3 / GK MB112 MB115 MB210 Neo410

• 1 year later...
For rehearsal or small gigs I use either a Roland KC220 or a pair of Vox V50's. The KC is max convenience and loud enough for a jazz group, and the stereo effect is better than expected. The Vox pair can be loud enough for a rehearsing rock band if everyone is reasonable with their volume. Stereo isn't strictly necessary for rehearsal, but I miss it if I don't have it.

How would you compare the sound quality of the KC220 vs. Vox for piano (allowing for the fact that the Vox will go louder)?

Is the KC220 loud enough to serve as a personal monitor in a rock situation where your keys are going through the mains (so the KC is only for you)?

Also, how is organ through the KC220? Is there enough stereo to the box (despite the proximity of the speakers to each other) that you get noticeably more motion in the rotary effect than in mono? Does the KC220's "wide" option improve this? Does organ sound "full enough" via its mere 6.5" woofers?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Not my favorites but they are what I have. Both are really too big and heavy to my preference, but either one works great for rehearsal. JBL sounds a little better but the QSC has more in/out options.

Stacking the QSC K12 on top of the JBL PRX615M has never left me in want of more head room.

Ha-haâ¦I must agree with h MotiDave; love it when there"s a rehearsal PA to plug into.

For rehearsal or small gigs I use either a Roland KC220 or a pair of Vox V50's. The KC is max convenience and loud enough for a jazz group, and the stereo effect is better than expected. The Vox pair can be loud enough for a rehearsing rock band if everyone is reasonable with their volume. Stereo isn't strictly necessary for rehearsal, but I miss it if I don't have it.

How would you compare the sound quality of the KC220 vs. Vox for piano (allowing for the fact that the Vox will go louder)?

Is the KC220 loud enough to serve as a personal monitor in a rock situation where your keys are going through the mains (so the KC is only for you)?

Also, how is organ through the KC220? Is there enough stereo to the box (despite the proximity of the speakers to each other) that you get noticeably more motion in the rotary effect than in mono? Does the KC220's "wide" option improve this? Does organ sound "full enough" via its mere 6.5" woofers?

Scott,

These amps are still in California, so I can't break them out to compare. I haven't done the kind of controlled comparisons that would allow me to answer with much precision, but my impressions are as follows.

The KC220 is not all that impressive in its sound and it's not very loud. I would much prefer having the 2 Vox amps. But there are situations where the KC is good enough such as a relatively quiet gig, where convenience wins out over sound quality.

Haven't A-B'd the piano but pretty sure I'd prefer the Vox twins over the KC220 for piano, and that's even though the KC is a cleaner, less colored sound.

I have also wondered whether the KC220 would be loud enough to be a personal monitor in a rock band. The band I was using it with even at its loudest was pretty quiet compared to rock bands I've played with in the past, so I don't know the answer. I'm not super confident it would work with a more average-ishly loud rock band.

The stereo effect of the KC220 is actually not that bad. More than a gimmick, it really does provide some stereo spread for leslie or panned tremolo.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

We usually don't use our main mixer at our (rare) practices, so I don't use my IEMs. So ironically I hear worse at practice than I do at gigs, even when using one of the band's QSC t0.2 speakers.

Our drummer can't make many practices so we often do acoustic ones (for songs he knows already). I'm a believer in quiet practicing, the old thing about "practice at gig volume" is hogwash. If you do that, do it once per song after you've worked out the kinks and endings. In that way it's like mixing, you don't mix at high volumes for hours, your ears would be fried. In our case, "gig volume" is "loud enough to be heard over a quiet acoustic drummer", we are all direct except for him. Wish he had an electric set, but drummers willing and able to play them seem to be like unicorns :)

Wish he had an electric set, but drummers willing and able to play them seem to be like unicorns :)

I recently started playing with my first drummer who uses an electric kit. The stage volume is blissfully low but I'm still adjusting to the lack of visceral excitement of an acoustic drum kit.

The KC220 is not all that impressive in its sound and it's not very loud. I would much prefer having the 2 Vox amps. But there are situations where the KC is good enough such as a relatively quiet gig, where convenience wins out over sound quality...I have also wondered whether the KC220 would be loud enough to be a personal monitor in a rock band...The stereo effect of the KC220 is actually not that bad. More than a gimmick, it really does provide some stereo spread for leslie or panned tremolo.

Yeah, an appeal for me is to get some nice stereo effect for me on stage. I even did think about 2 Vox for that, but yes, the convenience of the KC is tempting. I'ts good to hear that you do actually get a noticeable stereo effect from it. Besides being the smaller/lighter/simpler solution, it has the advantages of battery operation, tilt-up bracket, and a mic input which could come in handy. Whether it's loud enough to be even a personal monitor is the open question, once a rock drummer comes into the equation. But I also do drumless solo/duo/trio stuff where something like this could be useful... though in that case, I might be loking for it to be loud enough for the audience as well. I guess I'll probably just have to try it for myself.

Haven't A-B'd the piano but pretty sure I'd prefer the Vox twins over the KC220 for piano, and that's even though the KC is a cleaner, less colored sound.
Interesting, since piano usually benefits from the cleanest, least colored amp. Are you thinking you'd prefer the Vox just because of the volume? Another interesting "thought comparison" could be, not the KC220 vs a pair of Vox, but the KC220 vs a single Vox, where the KC then becomes the only one of the two that's stereo.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Wish he had an electric set, but drummers willing and able to play them seem to be like unicorns :)

I recently started playing with my first drummer who uses an electric kit. The stage volume is blissfully low but I'm still adjusting to the lack of visceral excitement of an acoustic drum kit.

I could see that. It's kind of the main problem with in-ears in general, it's canned (literally) and a bit disconnected. No ringing ears is worth it though (it's not even a choice at this point, the only alternative to in-ears for me is to quit playing live.)

I know I've done far more damage to myself crammed into practice spaces with loud drummers and amps trying reach over them than any gigs I've done.

45 years and I"ve never owned a 'keyboard" amp. ð

At the Pop band HQ I rehearse on the Kronos/ FA rig through my rack and a pair of EV ZX1As. At the blues band HQ I"m playing a S90XS and SKX through a itty bitty Yamaha mixer and a pair of Alto TS310s.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The issue I usually have with plugging into the PA for rehearsal is that I want to hear myself clearly. That's no less important at rehearsal than on gigs.

I agree. When I plug into the PA, I take a personal monitor, the PA is for the band, the monitor is for me. I feed the monitor via my Key Largo.

Same here. Other than a handful of times I have done a rehearsal for a pro, jobbing leader (where levels are generally consistent, and respected), I have to self-monitor along with a PA connection. Most of the rock/club bands I've been in are far too loud in rehearsals, and guitar levels are often inconsistent (I'm always adjusting my keys monitor level).

I've been using a QSC CP8 over the past year, for rehearsals and smaller gigs. It's light and has plenty of power.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Aspen Pittmans Space Station for my mates since it throws the sound around the room when placed right.

Henry Engineering Patch Box for my IEMs with a PA Feed added.

Always used a PA until I tried this.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Can you please eleaborate on this a bit more ?

I´d be interested to know what this "patch box" is, how it works functionality wise and how that "PA Feed" is added.

When you have a diagram, I´d be interested to have a look.

Is Scope/XITE involved too ?

thx in advance

:)

A.C.

I´d be interested to know what this "patch box" is, how it works functionality wise and how that "PA Feed" is added.

thx in advance

A.C.

umâ¦. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/357741-REG/Henry_Engineering_PATCHBOX_II_Patch_Box_II.html

Here for the gear.

Since I posted in this thread but realized I never addressed the OP's question...

I don't rehearse much (and even then, it might be at my own place), but if I have to go somewhere for a rehearsal, usually I'll play through whatever is already there. If I need to bring something, it will be the lightest and fastest/easiest to set up thing that will do the job. So what amp I bring might depend on things like: Will I be bringing more than one keyboard (i.e. do I want to bring something that has multiple inputs)? Will the rehearsal be "unplugged" or will there be rock-level drums? Will I be playing LH bass?

Generally, I'd say there's not much difference between what I'd bring to a rehearsal and what I'd bring to a small gig.

thx in advance

A.C.

XITE-1 is the ultimate router for any stage scenario. PA feeds into it via AES/EBU, XLR, TRS via A16U, or ADAT, depending on the Midas, Toft or RCF mixer choice. Patch box is just a touch of everything to everywhere also.

I can change any outgoing or incoming signals from my K4.

Really helps out when players change their levels and claim they didn"t touch anything.

Don"t bother me none, I can control the PA levels via MIDI as well.

And again Al Coda, SR Pro can store entire projects as a preset so I can even decide to knock out vocals when I get annoyed.

Usually I set and forget.

IEMs knocking out cymbals is most enjoyable too.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic