Print Thread
Logic Pro X 10.5
#3043302 05/12/20 12:47 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Apple Announces Logix Pro X 10.5

[Linked Image from apple.com]

Live looping, updates to EXS24 and much much more. Looks very impressive.

Since my primary music (Windows) PC with Cubase and its copy protection key are in another state I've been using the Logic Pro X trial since mid March. As a Logic user from back in the days when it was on Windows, going back to Logic has been amazing. I went ahead and bought it last week even though my trial wasn't up. I've really enjoyed using it, it has been rock solid and very intuitive. Of course, this means that if I stick with this that more Apple hardware is in my future....

Last edited by Mike Martin; 05/12/20 12:57 PM.
1 member likes this: Groove On
Re: Logic Pro X 10.5
Mike Martin #3043350 05/12/20 04:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
Some really exciting features here. After I finish my must-do editing today, I think I'll install the update on my MacBook! I haven't had the chance to try many DAWs -- I came up using GarageBand and as soon as I started at my current job, the department bought Logic, so I've been using more-or-less the same interface for recording since I was 16 -- but I do love the workflow, and helping a friend set up ProTools for his grad program the last couple of weeks hasn't made me appreciate it any less.

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Composer. Arranger. Musician. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.
Mike Martin #3043617 05/13/20 10:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
I assume it needs Catalina and a machine that can safely run Catalina?

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) grin
Janitor and Hall Monitor, Dr. Mike's Studio Workshop

clicky!: more about me ~ my schwag ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job
Dr Mike Metlay #3043676 05/14/20 10:59 AM
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Originally Posted by Dr Mike Metlay
According to the App Store, it requires 10.14.6 or later, 64-bit processor. So that's Mojave.

I looked it up. Apple first shipped Logic Pro X in 2013, and every update since then has been free. I think that's really cool. I don't see that ending.

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Joe Muscara #3043686 05/14/20 01:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
Originally Posted by Joe Muscara
I looked it up. Apple first shipped Logic Pro X in 2013, and every update since then has been free. I think that's really cool. I don't see that ending.
Yeah, and as I'm learning from a friend who is starting a grad program in music technology right now, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than Pro Tools.

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Composer. Arranger. Musician. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.
Joe Muscara #3043773 05/14/20 08:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
Originally Posted by Joe Muscara
According to the App Store, it requires 10.14.6 or later, 64-bit processor. So that's Mojave.

Damn. Mojave, really? I don't think many folks realize what a huge-ass concession that is on Apple's part. For the launch of Logic Pro X and every point-x update since then, Apple has added SOMETHING that required the latest OS. To release a major product that doesn't require Catalina is a big damn deal, and shows that Apple isn't entirely ignoring the protests of music users who are having categorically cataclysmic Catalina catastrophes.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) grin
Janitor and Hall Monitor, Dr. Mike's Studio Workshop

clicky!: more about me ~ my schwag ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job
Dr Mike Metlay #3043837 05/15/20 11:15 AM
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Damn. Mojave, really? I don't think many folks realize what a huge-ass concession that is on Apple's part. For the launch of Logic Pro X and every point-x update since then, Apple has added SOMETHING that required the latest OS. To release a major product that doesn't require Catalina is a big damn deal, and shows that Apple isn't entirely ignoring the protests of music users who are having categorically cataclysmic Catalina catastrophes.
It will be interesting to see what Apple does with macOS 10.16. Between the virus, which may or may not have slowed down development, and the reported issues with Catalina, 10.16 may be one of those macOS updates that sets out to clean things up more than advance the technology. WWDC is next month, all online, so we will see.

[That is presuming that Apple follows course and releases another major update this fall after announcing it at WWDC in the spring. It's possible they will use this as an excuse to just keep shipping updates to Catalina for the next year that fix any real issues (not 32-bit apps don't work. That ship has sailed). OTOH, they might release 10.16 Avalon (my guess, it's the only incorporated city on Catalina Island) that exists largely to fix issues with Catalina, because it's an easier pitch to say to people, "go straight to Avalon, skip Catalina." Not that Apple would say that, but other people do. Apple has done that before with 10.6 Snow Leopard, 10.11 El Capitan, and to some degree, 10.13 High Sierra, where the changes were more "under the hood."]

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Dr Mike Metlay #3044280 05/17/20 04:35 PM
For the launch of Logic Pro X and every point-x update since then, Apple has added SOMETHING that required the latest OS. To release a major product that doesn't require Catalina is a big damn deal, and shows that Apple isn't entirely ignoring the protests of music users who are having categorically cataclysmic Catalina catastrophes.

As far as I can see, Logic Pro X support has consistently extended to the OS version previous to the current one.

Even 10.4, which added Smart Tempo, Vintage EQs, ChromaVerb, Phat FX, Step FX, and the Mellotron and was released in March 2018, when High Sierra had been out for six months, only required 10.12 Sierra.

Apple knows that their audio people tend to be one system behind.

Mike Martin #3044944 05/20/20 04:18 PM
10k Club
10k Club
All installed and working perfectly thu

Mike Martin #3045739 05/25/20 05:47 AM
G
Online Content
G
I bet that Mojave compatibility won't be lost until Logic goes to 11.

Moderated by  Dr Mike Metlay 

Link Copied to Clipboard