Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

88 note keyboard with powerful speakers?

Your Pa1000 is only 24 lbs and has everything needed for the usage you seek so why consider something else?

It doesn't meet the initial requirements of "88 note" or arguably "Good feeling keybed for DP and EP" -- but then OTOH, subsequently, he said "I love the 76 keys, yes! And while not hammer action, I find the EW-410 action very playable. But it seems too much of a lateral move, my Pa1000 does everything it does and lots more, and much better. It would however be something I wouldn't worry about having stolen or damaged, so it could be a camping or long trip board." So yeah, 88 seems negotiable, but we have a new criteria of something not too valuable!

I could get fancy here with powerful speakers, but for a mere $300-$500 I could have something pretty decent and just use amplification, like a PX-160

...and you do already have the KMC3.

Tonight I realized there's an in-between category that the Numa Compact 2x uniquely fills:

3. Ambidextrous action: decent for piano and organ/synth. 88 keys - Speakers - Audio over USB - Lots of controls - Ridiculously light weight would encourage just bringing it along - Tailor made for iPad sounds (is this true?)

I do find it more playable for piano than most SW actions, but don't be fooled into thinking it will feel like a piano. And you'll probably still want the KMC3 for sufficient volume. Yes, the MIDI functionality gives it more flexibility in integrating an iPad compared to something like a PX160 for sure, though your MIDI patches are selected by scrolling with a knob. Alas, there's no mode by which to re-purpose the 8 sound category buttons into user patch select buttons.

How about you? How do you describe/categorize/visualize the types of keyboards you need? I suppose for most of us it's as simple as weighted/unweighted.

I fear this could prompt me to write a novel. ;-) But when gigging with a pair (my most common scenario), it is usually a weighted and a non, but I have occasionally used two non-hammer action boards, as long as the bottom is reasonably playable for pianos. If I'm doing LH bass, I prefer my top board to have at least 73 keys. Easy quick patch selection is something I keep in mind. I may or may not select something with organ drawbar control or VA synth controls, because as much as I like those things, for most of my 2-board gigs, they aren't totally necessary. And to some extent, sound quality and action take a back seat to light travel weight. Then there are the much more rare gigs where I will take more than two boards, and then the criteria shifts. Okay, that's the one paragraph version!

Yeah, I looked at the Korg Pa1000. 33 watts sounds pretty good. But at 2 grand, it's just too much. I can carry my Nord 5D and one of my QSC K8's and have killer sound.

At lower cost, I think any of the boards I mentioned in my first post in this thread could handle an unplugged rehearsal (maybe with drums if you're playing at a level where he's using brushes).

It was a bit of an extravagance, but I did basically pick up my PA1000 to fill that role, along with acoustic duo stuff I've sometimes done, and cocktail hours/ceremonies at wedding gigs and similar (where high-speed setup and knockdown can be a real benefit), and if I'm bringing it for that anyway, I may use it as my top tier board of my main pair as well (sparing myself from bringing a third board). If it can serve multiple roles, it becomes easier to justify the outlay. But them, I'm an addict. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an addict. ;-)
Aren't we all? That's why I'm in this group. Hi, my name is Lobo and I'm a gear addict.

I've lost track of how many keyboards I own. And it kinda depends on what you count as a keyboard. Does a melodica count? How about a Roli Seaboard? I really don't need another keyboard. But need is never the issue, is it? Still, it would be nice to have a lightweight battery-powered portable keyboard with very loud built-in speakers. And if it had wings, it could fly ...

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Your search is really a holy grail. I also want a portable all-in-on keyboard that I can bring anywhere with me and just sit down and entertain people - no extra accessories necessary. The problem is, most portable keyboards have too many compromises and design decisions for different uses (uses that actually sell). But the dream keyboard for the "take it anywhere and entertain" musician doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Personally, I'd love to see a keyboard with these 3 things as top priorities:

-- -- --

1. 61 weighted keys (edge-to-edge / no side panel)

2. Powerful on-board speakers

3. Line In/Out and Mic Jacks

* and maybe a built-in audio interface as a lower priority

-- -- --

You can kinda get this in Arrangers - with the un-weighted keys and cheesy sounds being the main compromises. Combo-organs are also in the ball-park, better sounds but also un-weighted keys and the need to bring a small amp.

You can kinda get this in Arrangers - with the un-weighted keys and cheesy sounds being the main compromises.

the keys in the Pa1000, while semi-weighted, are above average for what they are, and the board has a lot of great sounds, plus 300 mb for loading your own samples (600 mb worth uncompressed), and it is compatible with soundfonts, so you can load something in for a sound that may fall short (e.g. if you want a better piano). The competitive Yamaha PSR-SX900 has even more memory but I've never played one and can't tell you how the speakers or key feel compare... but the Korg has aftertouch, which the Yamaha lacks, which is a factor for me. If it's not for you, that could be worth looking into as well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm an addict. ;-)
Aren't we all? That's why I'm in this group. Hi, my name is Lobo and I'm a gear addict.

I've lost track of how many keyboards I own. And it kinda depends on what you count as a keyboard. Does a melodica count? How about a Roli Seaboard? I really don't need another keyboard. But need is never the issue, is it? Still, it would be nice to have a lightweight battery-powered portable keyboard with very loud built-in speakers. And if it had wings, it could fly ...

You really made me laugh!

Yes, what u talkin' bout, of course the melodica counts!!!! It just needs some righteous verb n delay, some eq, you know...... it can be honky, buck-toothed, over wacky harmonica like, but in a big hall, it delivers!

And really, it's all about the voice! I would venture to say that that is what we all strive for. To be so personable and wild in the unbelievable range that a voice can soar to--- like my melodica, right? Can I get an Amen? Do you feel me brother?

As a wise man sayeth, "But need is never the issue, is it?"

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Deleted

The Dexibell P7 has some pretty loud internal speakers. The AP is superb. I like the EP sounds, but some people don"t. I think the EP sounds just like a Rhodes I had once. One nice thing is Dexibell has a free download library on their site. It has some good string and pad sounds too.

Yikes! At $1899 that's definitely out of my price range. But the weight is very good and the 35 watts a side speakers would be fantastic.

I was fortunate to get a Dexibell P7 at $1499, just as the price jumped up $400. Maybe you can find a used one.

• 3 weeks later...
:duck:

Randy"s ideal portable jamming keyboard with attached power supply and amplifier !!!!

You got me! Between an accordian and my melodica I'm all set!

Actually, the upshot of thrashing about with this thread has been to realize, esp with weight and budget constraints, there's not many boards that would do it for me, have all the features I was hoping to get in one keyboard.

But as Jazz+ and JPS have talked about, the Kawai ES110 has what is probably the ideal keybed for someone like me that is out of practice with a heavy touch, but wants the weighted pianistic level of expression, which is far more nuanced and sweeping than even a good semi-weighted action. The way they described having wonderful ppp to fff dynamic control that was effortless- after hearing about that I realized that what I need first and foremost is a weighted keyboard that my fingers would take joy in expressings themselves on. I experienced it one time with a Steinway D at a party, and that has forever more been my ultimate standard for keyboard expression. It made all the difference (combined with the sound of course).

I have a top end arranger keyboard that takes care of almost everything else, and I'm planning on getting the JBL Eon One Compact speaker that weighs very little and has a mic/guitar input, BT control and music streaming-

So while I was dreaming of an all-in-one board, having the ES110, the Pa1000, and the JBL speaker gives me a ton of options, including, for simplicities sake, bringing just one of the boards and the speaker to family and jam gathering, with another keyboard in the wings as needed.

And- playing the Pa1000 with the ES110 keybed- that is going to be AWESOME!!!!