Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When Is a Concert...Not a Concert?

Very interesting analysis about Travis Scott's Fortnite "concert." This is one of those concepts that may get a boost during the Age of the Plague, but won't go away after COVID-19 is in the rear view mirror (which it will be someday).

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That actually makes sense...and it certainly solves the parking problem :) Of course you wouldn't get the same kind of numbers you get at a concert when you can squeeze a zillion people together, but something is better than nothing.

The article said 500 cars...if tickets were $100 a car, that's $50K. And, the cost per person would be (assuming four people in a car) $25, which is pretty good these days.

Hmmmmmâ¦.

I can"t say what is allowed elsewhere, but the FCC allows unlicensed use of FM radio under part 15. So even a cheap <$200 Fm transmitter can give you a 200" throw to FM radios in people"s cars. I am finding other instances of creative musicians doing similar shows.

Hmmm, this could be a use for shopping mall parking lots since it appears some of them may be closing. There are other huge parking lots around, Disneyland and the downtown LA convention center comes to mind and football/baseball stadium parking, there are lots of places for drive in concerts. The sound certainly won't be there. Considering the alternative is nothing, it could work. Somebody mentioned drive in theaters. The Roadium in Torrance, CA is still there, it's been an open air market for at least 30 years. It's capacity in 1963 as a drive in theater was 480 cars. I just checked and there are only two other survivor drive in's. One in Riverside 75 miles east of LA and one in San Diego.

I wonder about the performers. Aside from the money of course the whole thrill of performing is to be in front of a great crowd and that whole experience would be missing just like playing pro sports with no fans but at this point I say go for it. I'm sure fans would still be yelling and screaming and waving their arms sitting in their cars with the windows open.

As for the Fortnite concert it sounds damn cool to me. I don't care about that type of music but I would love to see Tower of Power or Snarky Puppy do something like this and I would pay for it as long as there was some actual live performance which I'm sure could be done.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Hmmm, this could be a use for shopping mall parking lots since it appears some of them may be closing.

That's smart. Don't know what the legalities would be - liability BS or whatever - but you're right, there's enough space to do it.

As to the performers not feeling the energy, well, that would make it less fun. But I've been in bands where just rehearsing was satisfying. So if you could do that knowing that people were watching and digging what you were doing...so much the better, right?

It might even provide an opportunity for FM radio-based sound system rentals at the concerts to provide an income stream for the band or perhaps a sponsor.

Bring out the porta-potties, the show must go on!