Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

88 note keyboard with powerful speakers?

Looking for a used DP to bring for family singalongs and jams. I imagine there's lots of DPs that I don't know about that have come and gone, so here's to throwing out a wider net.

Basic NEED:

- Good feeling keybed for DP and EP

- Decent bread and butter sounds, esp DP and EP

- Lightweight (under 30 pounds)

- Inexpensive

- Built-in speakers

Getting what I NEED is fairly easy- off of CL I could easily find something used for $200-$700 that would satisfy the above. Like a used Casio PX-160 for $350.

So the challenge is to find the above BASIC NEEDS keyboard but with POWERFUL SPEAKERS! Most of the new DP's for $400-$800 have 6-8 watts a side speakers. Wattage is not the whole story, but when you've got so little to work with it usually means a lot with built-in keyboard speakers. 10- 20 watts a side is more like it, you can get some pretty sweet sound for the player and those nearby. It's great to walk into a jam or singalong and have a board that is super fun to play 'cause of the speakers, no amp required! That also means the board may be closer to 40 pounds, which is a trade-off I'm reluctantly willing to make.

- willing to pay up to $1k used

Getting what I WANT is all over the map.

- Korg SP-280, gets LOUD (22 watts a side!); action is so-so, passable but far from great, same with the sound quality, and unfortunately weighs 40 pounds, so probably a pass

- Korg XE-20, brand new, has the brains of the EK-50 arranger with 88 note keyboard, 18 watts a side, weighs 25 lbs!, so new there's no reviews, $800 new

- Roland FP30, 30 lbs, 11 watts a side, $700 new

- Yamaha P120, 12 watts a side, only played one once but really enjoyed it, but 40 lbs! At over 15 years old I'd be a little worried about longevity

- ?????

Beyond that, I don't know. There's various Roland models that've come and gone that I've heard about but never played that are reputed to have powerful speakers (as well as decent keybed, sounds).

Just to put it out, there are also various things I'd really like in a portable DP like: - BT for music streaming - Audio over USB - PB and MW - 1/4" outs (not 1/8" mini) - runs off batteries - expression pedal input - knobs and sliders for local and MIDI control - mic input and reverb that can be added to vocals - stereo aux in - 3 pedals option- etc.

But just to be clear- while I'd really love to have the options in the above paragraph, the basics are the most important: - keybed - sound quality - powerful speakers - lightweight- under $1,000 used

Thanks,

Randy

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy

I have a Yamaha P121 @ $600 which is the 73 key version of the P125, a great DP for not a lot of cash 2x7W and pretty light.

Consider a Casio S1000 @ $650 or push the boat out with the S3000 @ $850 but this has more arranger features and may well be a better buy.

Korg now have the EK50L where the L is for Limitless and it includes higher powered speakers 2x10W and more Styles and Sounds than the standard EK50.

The only thing that would put me off the XE20 is the key action which is Korg"s light touch off the B2N, I do not like this action myself nor do I like the action of the Korg D1.

Finally

At the top of your list should be a Numa Compact or preferrably the Compact X2, with 2X10W onboard, semi weighted keys with aftertouch and very light.

Col

FP-2 and FP-4 are the older Roland models to look for (with the FP-2 having the edge of being a little lighter in weight at 32.25 lbs, which is 1.5 lbs lighter than the FP4). Ignore the specs (7 w/ch)... turn on their "EQ" and "Sound Control" functions and they are much louder than any of the Casios, Kawais, or Yamahas with similar power ratings, and in fact, are competitive with the 30-ish watt models I've played from Dexibell, Kurzweil, and Korg. I don't know whether or not the newer models like FP10 and FP30 are comparable in volume, though the older models also have the advantage of 1/4" outs, real front panel controls (none of the nonsense of holding a button and pressing a key to access essential sounds/functions), expression pedal support, and stereo line inputs. Plus real MIDI jacks (in addition to USB).

Another to look at is the Kurzweil KA90 (or maybe one of its twins branded under a different name, though I haven't played those and don't know if they are fully identical in every sound/feature). Comparable volume, and only 27.1 lbs, and has every advantage I listed for the Roland (1/4" outs, real front panel controls, expression pedal, aux in) plus a pitch wheel. So why even consider the heavier Rolands? Because I think, overall, they sound and feel better, they're more enjoyable to play. Maybe think of the KA90 as an SP280 without the weight issue (though I haven't played the SP280 myself). The way I'd suggest using the KA90 is to plug it into an iOS device, feed that device's audio into the keyboard's Line In, and keep the volume off on the board's own sounds. Then you can get a better sound selection out of it. (And it's easy to place the device right on the unit for easy access... I even had an iPad standing in its music stand slot when I tried this.) But if you don't happen to already own the iOS device, that effectively raises your cost, if you have to buy that as well. And you're no longer in a simple "turn it on and play" scenario, as you have to connect more stuff, unless the KA90's internal sounds end up being sufficient for the task at hand.

If you're willing to push your budget a little, I haven't tried one, but the Roland RD-88 looks like it could be really enticing, if its speakers are up to snuff.

p.s. -- since I keep buying things and not getting around to selling the older stuff, I have a herd here I'll be thinning, and in fact I do have an FP2 and KA90 here which I really should sell as neither is getting any use. So maybe we can talk about that. Though I'm on the opposite coast so the shipping cost may make a local purchase more desirable.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I"m doing cocktails with a Casio PX-560. Maybe more than you want to spend.

But 26lbs tons of sounds and although the spec says 8W x 2. The direction of the speakers out front make it perfect for playing with someone else and I"m surprised at how loud it is. I have the Casio soft case. Very easy to carry on my own by handle or shoulder strap and stand in the other hand.

If looking at Yamaha P"s, also need to check out the Kawai ES-110.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

PX-560 is a great board, I've got that one too! (And it's another I'll probably sell at this point... just too many boards, and it's not getting used.) It's not as loud as the ones I mentioned, though. It does have one of the best live split-and-layer interfaces on any board, it's got the pitch and mod wheels, and the sounds are fully editable, which you don't generally find in the DPs with speakers. And it has this great (and essentially undocumented) trick of letting you save (or copy) sounds into any category, so you don't have to jump screens to switch among your favorite sounds, you can put them all on the same screen like a poor man's Kronos Set List or MODX Live Set. (The only exception is that you can't mix standard and hexlayer sounds... so you'll need a screen in one category for all your standard sounds and in another for your favorite hexlayer sounds.) Besides being lightweight, it is compact, making it that much easier to move, and has an above average action. For an 88-hammer action board with speakers, I'd take it over anything else mentioned other than maybe the RD-88... except if volume is paramount, it's not top tier there.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Randy

I have a Yamaha P121 @ $600 which is the 73 key version of the P125, a great DP for not a lot of cash 2x7W and pretty light.

Consider a Casio S1000 @ $650 or push the boat out with the S3000 @ $850 but this has more arranger features and may well be a better buy.

Korg now have the EK50L where the L is for Limitless and it includes higher powered speakers 2x10W and more Styles and Sounds than the standard EK50.

The only thing that would put me off the XE20 is the key action which is Korg"s light touch off the B2N, I do not like this action myself nor do I like the action of the Korg D1.

Finally

At the top of your list should be a Numa Compact or preferrably the Compact X2, with 2X10W onboard, semi weighted keys with aftertouch and very light.

Biggles,

You still playing your Pa700?

Yeah, the P121 is a tempting package at that weight and size. But I'm sure the speakers are not that powerful, I've played the P115. Same with the Casio PX-S1000 and 3000. Have played, and the volume is lacking for what I'd like.

The EK50L looks great, but I'm looking for a hammer action. I've still got my Pa1000, and the speakers on it are fabulous. Like Music with Harry has said many times over at the Korg arranger forum, he'd love it if they made a Pa700 with a weighted keybed! Yes! All those fantastic sounds and great built-in speakers wedded to a weighted keybed!

Yeah, the Numa Compact 2 or 2x is like the joker card, always on the table but of unknown quantity. I need to play one to see if I could get on with the action, sounds promising that so many people have said it can piano reasonably and is quite good for the organ/synth sounds.

The new Korg XE-20 looks promising as well, but I'd need to check out the action. It's light touch as in not weighted?

Thanks for your input,

Randy

FP-2 and FP-4 are the older Roland models to look for (with the FP-2 having the edge of being a little lighter in weight at 32.25 lbs, which is 1.5 lbs lighter than the FP4). Ignore the specs (7 w/ch)... turn on their "EQ" and "Sound Control" functions and they are much louder than any of the Casios, Kawais, or Yamahas with similar power ratings, and in fact, are competitive with the 30-ish watt models I've played from Dexibell, Kurzweil, and Korg. I don't know whether or not the newer models like FP10 and FP30 are comparable in volume, though the older models also have the advantage of 1/4" outs, real front panel controls (none of the nonsense of holding a button and pressing a key to access essential sounds/functions), expression pedal support, and stereo line inputs. Plus real MIDI jacks (in addition to USB).

Another to look at is the Kurzweil KA90 (or maybe one of its twins branded under a different name, though I haven't played those and don't know if they are fully identical in every sound/feature). Comparable volume, and only 27.1 lbs, and has every advantage I listed for the Roland (1/4" outs, real front panel controls, expression pedal, aux in) plus a pitch wheel. So why even consider the heavier Rolands? Because I think, overall, they sound and feel better, they're more enjoyable to play. Maybe think of the KA90 as an SP280 without the weight issue (though I haven't played the SP280 myself). The way I'd suggest using the KA90 is to plug it into an iOS device, feed that device's audio into the keyboard's Line In, and keep the volume off on the board's own sounds. Then you can get a better sound selection out of it. (And it's easy to place the device right on the unit for easy access... I even had an iPad standing in its music stand slot when I tried this.) But if you don't happen to already own the iOS device, that effectively raises your cost, if you have to buy that as well. And you're no longer in a simple "turn it on and play" scenario, as you have to connect more stuff, unless the KA90's internal sounds end up being sufficient for the task at hand.

If you're willing to push your budget a little, I haven't tried one, but the Roland RD-88 looks like it could be really enticing, if its speakers are up to snuff.

p.s. -- since I keep buying things and not getting around to selling the older stuff, I have a herd here I'll be thinning, and in fact I do have an FP2 and KA90 here which I really should sell as neither is getting any use. So maybe we can talk about that. Though I'm on the opposite coast so the shipping cost may make a local purchase more desirable.

AS,

Thanks for the suggestions on the older Rolands. Yeah, it's hard to know whats what just from the specs, some makers are able to squeeze lots of volume out of not much. I've never played the FP2 or 4, so buying your FP2 from across the country doesn't make sense.

The Kurzweil KA90 sounds like one of those boards the manufacturer need to up the price by $100 to get decent sounds in it. $699 new is not a bad price for what it offers if the keybed and sounds were up to snuff. Yeah, I do have an iPad with music apps, and I'd rather not fuss, but if the action was decent that could tip the scales in its favor. What other models are out there that are close to being being the same?

I've heard that the new RD-88 has a lousy keybed. Oh well.

Thanks for all your input!

Randy

I"m doing cocktails with a Casio PX-560. Maybe more than you want to spend.

But 26lbs tons of sounds and although the spec says 8W x 2. The direction of the speakers out front make it perfect for playing with someone else and I"m surprised at how loud it is. I have the Casio soft case. Very easy to carry on my own by handle or shoulder strap and stand in the other hand.

If looking at Yamaha P"s, also need to check out the Kawai ES-110.

Yeah, the PX-560 is on a short list of boards I'd love to have. It's been out long enough I'm sure there's used deals to be had. I love its blue color!

And yes, the ES-110 sounds lovely from what I've read. However, both of these boards are on the medium volume side and I was hoping to find something that could really sound out. I used to have the Casio MZ-X500, and those speakers can really be heard, but it's only a 61 note board with semi-weighted touch.

Thanks!

The Kurzweil KA90 sounds like one of those boards the manufacturer need to up the price by $100 to get decent sounds in it.

Since it seems to have been a kind of private label joint development thing, they might have had constraints in what modifications they can make. Which I'd prefer to believe over their just not thinking it was worth putting better sounds into it! But who knows.

What other models are out there that are close to being being the same?

It is similar if not identical to at least Alesis Coda Pro and Medeli SP4200, I believe.

I used to have the Casio MZ-X500, and those speakers can really be heard

Yes, that's another board with above average volume, though weak on the bottom end. Your replacement PA1000 was a significant upgrade there. I know, I made the same move. ;-) The PX560, as you may know, is pretty similar to the MZ-X500 in many ways. A lot of the interface and sounds are the same, they both have the hexlayers etc., but the MZ-X500 came later and had some nice improvements... named registrations, mono bass/lead synth, drawbar organ, user sample memory, and some other new sounds. And its arranger functions, of course, since it's an arranger. I think it never got the attention it deserved, possibly because it was priced too close to the more capable Korg PA700. But it is indeed a really nice board. And yet one more that will be going on to my for sale list!

OT: Yeah, I was impressed with the MZ-X500 until I got the Pa1000. For comparison purposes, just assume the Pa700 is close to the same thing, which it is. The Pa700 has almost all the sounds, the speakers sound almost as good, etc. However, the price on the Pa700 has gone up to $1,500 in the states, which makes it $400 more than the Casio (used to be $200 more)

There is no comparison. The sounds for the most part on the Casio are dated, the arranger function uninspiring. Have been blown away with the Pa1000, for the quality of sounds and styles.

This whole business of prioritizing needs for a keyboard is challenging. Every board offers different advantages/disadvantages, it seems like the only real bottom line criteria for someone on a limited budget looking for a portable jam/singalong board is

- keybed

- weight

The rest of it, including speakers and sound quality, can be made up for. The NC 2x is starting to looks very appealing, and if I tried the RD-88 and liked the action, that'd be even more desirable than the PX-560 (given the feature set). Back and forth, back and forth!

Randy

Your Pa1000 is only 24 lbs and has everything needed for the usage you seek so why consider something else?

Family singalongs, an arranger will surely be more useful for these than a DP with limited accompaniment features?

So I am throwing you a curveball in suggesting you consider a Yamaha EW410, plenty of onboard sounds 2x12W, 18 lbs, 76 keys, can run on batteries and only $430.

PS

I sold the 700 last year and only have the P121 until I decide what I will buy next but after playing the P121 for three months now I do miss the Arranger functions so the Pa4X is probably back at the top of the wish list.

Col

The Yamaha DGX-660 is everything you mentioned, but it's a little heavier.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Yup. I was pretty happy with the MZ-X500, but once I got tha Pa1000, all I really missed was its sub-17 lb weight, 6 lbs lighter than the Korg. I didn't realize the Pa700 had gone up in price, that does make the Casio more competitive.

The Dexibell P7 has some pretty loud internal speakers. The AP is superb. I like the EP sounds, but some people don"t. I think the EP sounds just like a Rhodes I had once. One nice thing is Dexibell has a free download library on their site. It has some good string and pad sounds too.

My personal picks for what you want to do are all above your budget, but perhaps a used one?: Kawai ES8, Roland FP60, Yamaha P515 and Yamaha 255. The Kawai and Yamahas have the most powerful speakers, while the Roland hits a lot of your wants/needs. None have arranger features, but I prefer the sound of these instruments, and for a rhythm section, there are aux ports for your ipad/iphone. (I use the Luis Martinez Lumbeat and DrumPerfect Pro apps for that.)

For all-in-ones, I do like the suggestions above for the Korg PA1000, Yamaha DGX 660 & EW10, Korg EK50 and XE20. In your budget also take a look at the Yamaha PSR-670 and Casio CT-K5000, only 61 keys, but light-weight and decent speakers.

On a side-note, somebody needs to talk some of the marketing teams who named these keyboards. The people who named Korg's EK50 and XE20 need a good talking to. And the Yamaha EW10 is really unfortunate.

The Dexibell P7 has some pretty loud internal speakers.

Another good option, except I think it would blow the budget.

On a side-note, somebody needs to talk some of the marketing teams who named these keyboards. The people who named Korg's EK50 and XE20 need a good talking to. And the Yamaha EW10 is really unfortunate.

Maybe they use the same creative geniuses who came up with the Honda Life Dunk and the Nissan Homy Super Long. EW!

Here for the gear.

Randy

Your Pa1000 is only 24 lbs and has everything needed for the usage you seek so why consider something else?

Family singalongs, an arranger will surely be more useful for these than a DP with limited accompaniment features?

So I am throwing you a curveball in suggesting you consider a Yamaha EW410, plenty of onboard sounds 2x12W, 18 lbs, 76 keys, can run on batteries and only $430.

PS

I sold the 700 last year and only have the P121 until I decide what I will buy next but after playing the P121 for three months now I do miss the Arranger functions so the Pa4X is probably back at the top of the wish list.

Yes yes yes! The Pa1000 has great speakers, is 25 pounds, has a mic input unlike most boards out there and has fantastic front panel control of mic or guitar input, the arranger functions could come in handy (but I'm not really up to speed with using it), the sound quality is top notch. So yes, it will do nicely for singalongs.

But I have a lot of nieces and nephews that play piano, and being able to supply one at family gatherings would be choice. Perhaps I'll get a used px-160 for example, and just bring both boards.

Can't believe you sold the Pa700. I have found the UI to be idiosyncratic and convoluted. You not only gave up the board, but all the learning that went into using it, you offered good support. For me the Pa1000 has been by far the best sounding board I've ever had, and the speakers are tits.

Yes, I've considered the EW-410. I love the 76 keys, yes! And while not hammer action, I find the EW-410 action very playable. But it seems too much of a lateral move, my Pa1000 does everything it does and lots more, and much better. It would however be something I wouldn't worry about having stolen or damaged, so it could be a camping or long trip board.

So how do you like the P121? It has a very tempting size and weight!

46 lbs!!!! That's a no-go. But yeah, otherwise it looks great, but with only 6 watts/side, it'd be underpowered. I'd have to hear the sounds as well. I've had a number of the $2-300 Yamaha 61 note boards with a similar interface, and the sounds were below average, but hopefully at this price point they're better. Love it that it has a mic input!

The Dexibell P7 has some pretty loud internal speakers. The AP is superb. I like the EP sounds, but some people don"t. I think the EP sounds just like a Rhodes I had once. One nice thing is Dexibell has a free download library on their site. It has some good string and pad sounds too.

Yikes! At $1899 that's definitely out of my price range. But the weight is very good and the 35 watts a side speakers would be fantastic.

My personal picks for what you want to do are all above your budget, but perhaps a used one?: Kawai ES8, Roland FP60, Yamaha P515 and Yamaha 255. The Kawai and Yamahas have the most powerful speakers, while the Roland hits a lot of your wants/needs. None have arranger features, but I prefer the sound of these instruments, and for a rhythm section, there are aux ports for your ipad/iphone. (I use the Luis Martinez Lumbeat and DrumPerfect Pro apps for that.)

For all-in-ones, I do like the suggestions above for the Korg PA1000, Yamaha DGX 660 & EW10, Korg EK50 and XE20. In your budget also take a look at the Yamaha PSR-670 and Casio CT-K5000, only 61 keys, but light-weight and decent speakers.

The FP60 sounds great with BT music streaming plus an aux input, 13 watts/side speakers, 3 band eq sliders and volume sliders for upper/lower is great, but it's heavy at 42 pounds! And no PB?

I'd love the ES8 or P515, but both are heavy AF. And pricey.

I've already got a great 61 note board, wanted a hammer action to complement it, as something for friends and family to play as that's what most people are used to.

Yes, naming often seems bizarre to me, but when you look at the HUNDREDS of products the majors pump out, I guess things get a little dis-jointed. It'd be easier in a company the size of Nord to keep the names simple and on point

Thanks everyone for the great input. With so many options it just becomes a jumble for me which way to go, so putting it down in writing helps to hammer out important qualities.

Like most of us here, I need at least TWO boards:

1. Unweighted. My Pa1000 is awesome, its speakers, front panel mic control with harmonizer, light weight, great rhythms. Job very well done

2. Weighted. Needs good action/sounds/light-weight/speakers: I could get fancy here with powerful speakers, but for a mere $300-$500 I could have something pretty decent and just use amplification, like a PX-160.

Tonight I realized there's an in-between category that the Numa Compact 2x uniquely fills:

3. Ambidextrous action: decent for piano and organ/synth. 88 keys - Speakers - Audio over USB - Lots of controls - Ridiculously light weight would encourage just bringing it along - Tailor made for iPad sounds (is this true?) -

How about you? How do you describe/categorize/visualize the types of keyboards you need? I suppose for most of us it's as simple as weighted/unweighted.

What do you think is the keyboard with the LOUDEST internal speakers, regardless of 88 or 61 keys or any other features? I've got a couple of keyboards with speakers (PX-S3000 and an old workstation) but they just aren't loud enough for a low-to-medium volume band/jam/rehearsal situation. If there was a board that had really LOUD built-in speakers, and didn't cost in the multiple thousands of dollars, I might get one just to have the convenience of lugging board+stand, and not have to bring external amplification to be heard in a not-very-loud context playing with other musicians.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

What do you think is the keyboard with the LOUDEST internal speakers, regardless of 88 or 61 keys or any other features? I've got a couple of keyboards with speakers (PX-S3000 and an old workstation) but they just aren't loud enough for a low-to-medium volume band/jam/rehearsal situation. If there was a board that had really LOUD built-in speakers, and didn't cost in the multiple thousands of dollars, I might get one just to have the convenience of lugging board+stand, and not have to bring external amplification to be heard in a not-very-loud context playing with other musicians.

I've had good luck with both the Casio MZ-X500 (20 watts/side) and esp with the Korg Pa1000 (33 watts/side, 2-way speakers). The old Yamaha CP300 has beefy speakers as well. All of these are definitely capable of lounge level playing without external amplification. For personal monitoring, singalongs, small jams, they do surprisingly well.

But you've got to draw the line at rehearsals where you're competing with guitar and bass amps, drums, etc. For that you need an external speaker, esp when you're in a large space or outdoors. With walls to bounce the sound off of, these keyboard speakers do better in small to medium sized spaces.

Keep in mind that as a personal monitor the built in speakers on the Pa1000 are rich and full, similar to good quality 5" studio monitors. It's more than not having to schleep a pa for a small music scene, it's also that you've got such great sound right in your ears, always at the ready. When I need more volume and bass, I just balance the volume of the Pa1000 and my K8.2. Unfortunately the Pa1000 costs around $2,000.

Randy.

A two fold answer.

I sold my 700 for a few of reasons, that is, not enough keys, not enough internal memory and piano sounds that were not as good as other makes with only the one that Reuben produced being any good imo. Also I never really liked the feel of the keybed.

On the more positive side the menu system does involve getting into the Korg mindset and hence a lot of effort is needed to get there but once there actions come very quick and with less button presses. I was hoping that a new 4X replacement would come out at NAMM but now I will stick with the P121 until next year.

Talking of P121, the only reason I went for this over the 125 was weight and ease of portability. I did travel up to a music store to try a Numa Compact x2 but they had sold it when .i got there and over here in the UK they are very few and far between.

The P121 is a great piano for its price being in the mid range of the budget market, the sounds are good but the strings are a little shrill for my ears. Connect up my iPad and everything on it works great so I have a whole mass of instruments available. It is a great compromise DP.

I know you want integrated speakers but if the keyboard you prefer does not have the output then you can always add a couple of small powered speakers, I have a pair of PreSonus Eris 4.5 speakers which are excellent given their liw cost.

Col

So how do you like the P121? It has a very tempting size and weight!

I also have the P121, and am quite happy with it. It has a very nice action for the size and weight. The AP sounds nice -- the rest of the sounds are a mixed bag. But it works well with the iPad to help make up for that. I don't use the speakers, though, so I can't comment on that.

What do you think is the keyboard with the LOUDEST internal speakers, ...
I've had good luck with both the Casio MZ-X500 (20 watts/side) and esp with the Korg Pa1000 (33 watts/side, 2-way speakers). The old Yamaha CP300 has beefy speakers as well. ... the built in speakers on the Pa1000 are rich and full,... Unfortunately the Pa1000 costs around $2,000.
Thanks very much for your detailed reply. Yeah, I looked at the Korg Pa1000. 33 watts sounds pretty good. But at 2 grand, it's just too much. I can carry my Nord 5D and one of my QSC K8's and have killer sound. Reminds me that there never is a perfect solution.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

46 lbs!!!! That's a no-go. But yeah, otherwise it looks great, but with only 6 watts/side, it'd be underpowered. I'd have to hear the sounds as well. I've had a number of the $2-300 Yamaha 61 note boards with a similar interface, and the sounds were below average, but hopefully at this price point they're better. Love it that it has a mic input!

Yeah, I figured so but since I have some experience with that line I thought I"d mention it. It"s surprisingly loud. I actually gigged with a YPG-235, which was several models lower (same as a DGX-230), for a couple of years without needing external speakers. It was only once I started doing a lot of outdoor gigs that I needed something more. I"m not sure just how loud you need, but there is a point where loud speakers in your face gets unpleasant.

Yes, a lot of the 660 sounds are substantial improvements over the lower-end PSR-type sounds (I own a PSR-295 as well as the YPG-235). Particularly the pianos, electric pianos, and strings.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

What do you think is the keyboard with the LOUDEST internal speakers, ...
I've had good luck with both the Casio MZ-X500 (20 watts/side) and esp with the Korg Pa1000 (33 watts/side, 2-way speakers). The old Yamaha CP300 has beefy speakers as well. ... the built in speakers on the Pa1000 are rich and full,... Unfortunately the Pa1000 costs around $2,000.
Thanks very much for your detailed reply. Yeah, I looked at the Korg Pa1000. 33 watts sounds pretty good. But at 2 grand, it's just too much. I can carry my Nord 5D and one of my QSC K8's and have killer sound. Reminds me that there never is a perfect solution.

Yeah, that's what this thread is all about, thrashing thru the various options / approaches.

FWIW, the model down from the Pa1000 is the Pa700. Not 2-way speakers and 25 watts/side instead of 33 watts/side, but still, its speakers sound great. Going up to the Pa1000 is a refinement, not a vast improvement, and 25 watts/side is pretty sweet. Plus, the sound quality of these boards are fantastic, and the rhythms and styles of the auto-arranger are surprisingly well done. Used I imagine you could be in the $900-$1,000 range for the Pa700.

Biggest drawback for me in recommending these boards is the UI can be challenging. However, you have a 7" touch screen to work with and lots of buttons.