Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Classic Chester Thompson B3 Video Found!

I was delighted to discover this morning that someone had posted this on YouTube. This is the video I helped make in 2006 when Chester Thompson showed us his techniques on Tower of Power's "Squib Cakes." I am still looking for a cut and/or raw footage in my archives, and thought this one was lost to posterity. This doesn't have the header or intro on it, but it's still a pretty complete version. I have also found all my raw footage of my 2013 visit to George Duke's studio, and will be making a new edit and posting soon. Enjoy!

[video:youtube]

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a long time hero of mine. Being older, one of my all time best memories was seeing the original TOP at the Paul's Mall in Boston. Chester is creating so much music by himself yet everyone in band found their own space. Will have to blast TOP today. I'm sure Chester fans know of this but in case you don't check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFe9LrNVFQg

Steve, thanks for posting!

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I was working at Bananas at Large in San Rafael (Marin County, CA) in the early 90s. I was sitting and noodling around on a keyboard when a gentleman walked up next to me and started asking me questions about it, which I absent-mindedly answered, not really looking up - I was pretty caught up in what I was doing. At one point, I asked his name, and he replied, "Chester Thompson".

:waitwhat::noway:

Suffice it to say I stopped playing.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I was delighted to discover this morning that someone had posted this on YouTube.

word :cool:

I have also found all my raw footage of my 2013 visit to George Duke's studio, and will be making a new edit and posting soon.

loved that video. Looking forward to seeing it again. :2thu:

:nopity:

I can honestly say it was him and Squib Cakes with TOP that got me hooked on the whole funky thing!

I reckon you could make a few bob having bets with people that they won"t be able to watch and listen to him play and not tap at least one foot - I almost sent my ipad to the floor whilst watching this.

Love it!

A treasure!

Thanks for this!

We were playing/attempting pre-Chester TOP covers (East Bay Grease) waaay back in the day and I was dying trying to work out with the horns. Then came Chester. What a divine match made in heaven!

(Church...who woulda thunk?)

I was delighted to discover this morning that someone had posted this on YouTube. This is the video I helped make in 2006 when Chester Thompson showed us his techniques on Tower of Power's "Squib Cakes." I am still looking for a cut and/or raw footage in my archives, and thought this one was lost to posterity. This doesn't have the header or intro on it, but it's still a pretty complete version.

May I recommend that you download yourself a copy of this for your own archives, if you haven't already? There are a few web sites that can do it, and some apps, I think.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Absolutely awesome! What a find. I heard Squib Cakes in a record store and bought the album, went home and wore it out listening to this. Simply amazing stuff.

As for downloading it just use EZYouTube Downloader in Firefox.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

This is a rip-your-head-off video if ever there was. I'm at once inspired and terrified. Could I ever play like that? If I tried incorporating pedal, then not even close, because I currently don't play pedal at all. But the finger work is something to aspire to.

I don't think I realized until watching this just how busy his playing is, and yet listening to TOP everything sounds so clean and synchronized. Amazing. It's easy to play busy and produce a collective slop. This is something completely different.

My other takeaway is that the Hammond clone isn't all that impressive when hearing the real thing before and after. Man, I'd love to have a real Hammond again, there's nothing like it.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

This is why gospel organ is on another level. He hadn't played Amazing Grace in a long time but it still was awesome. There isn't many styles Chester can't play.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

TOP is one of those bands where the comps contribute much more to the songs than the solos. Not to imply that Chester is any slouch at playing. Love their stuff.

My Hammond style is more comps than solo. I cannot for the life of me remember where I learned to comp, I guess I have a good ear. I'm a drawbar artist and learned many registrations other than 88800000 to fit between the instruments and still be heard. A lot of it comes from my experience as a piano accompanist for the high school choir, that was an education.