Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bluegrass with the ukulele gang

I may have posted before that I started learning the ukelele. At one point I took some group lessons, and once those ended I figured that was it. But I sent a message on the group's whatsapp and that spurred a get-together.

After a handful of those I decided we could do with one less uke, in favor of an electric upright. So I've been playing that ever since. Mostly, we'd get together once a month and run through some songs someone printed out.

Lately, some roles have been developing. Some of the ladies picked lead vocals, one of the members has started fingerpicking (and became damn proficient REAL quick) and the other gentleman has started playing more lead / melodies.

In other words... There's a group sound slowly emerging! I find myself remembering what lines I played in certain songs, as opposed to rooting and improvising my way through them every time. The picker has started suggesting (in her limited musical vocabulary kind of way) that we work out some fixed arrangements and really work on the songs.

There's no drums, so all this has a bit of a bluegrass vibe to it. I remember dreading the very first get together, but now I look forward to those monthly gatherings. At 39 I think I am the youngest (with one possible exception) but truthfully, it's more fun than my cover/originals band which is nearing its end.

Thing is, I really want to play uke in a band setting, too :) Guess I need to find a bunch of bassists, so I can join on the uke... :D

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds super fun!!!!

I'd be all-in for that too.

Currently I am uke-less. I was in a music store a few weeks ago and there was an 8 string acoustic electric tenor uke that I LOVED.

So, I ran away quickly to avoid racking up the credit card!

Keep to your quest, paths will open in front of you. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

62nuvbhzw832szfgp6xb9tmsxomepv5u.jpg

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

• 1 month later...

@jcadmus, what is that thing?

It's funny, I never actually practice on the upright, I just wing it and get by fine with this crew. But I think after the Covid lockdown I will incorporate upright into my schedule.

Right now, I am having tons of fun playing the uke. Bought a book with uke arrangements of Beatles songs from one Fred Sokolow, and it's turning into one helluva ride!

Ukes are fun instruments to play and own.

I have two

Keep looking and playing a Ubass but cannot decide, I particularly enjoyed playing a fretless Ubass, but one day.

We have a group of us Ukuists (if there is such a term) who meet up once a month but we are currently using Zoom.

990.thumb.jpg.34ae852a499eb8d697a8e0fee4e73715.jpg

Col

• 2 months later...

Hm, that IS kind of spendy...

Been focusing on bass again, lately. My teacher has me practicing walking bass, and in a way that I kind of understand where I am going with it (pun intended) but needless to say progress is slow.

I do look forward to incorporating this style or playing into my upright playing, but wirh the second Covid wave hitting Belgium, there won't be any uke gatherings soon.

Walking as in jazz arrangements or country?

Or something else?

Other styles have walking bass lines but some don't. It's good to know how to do it, a friend has a song that does the classic country 1-5 thing on the verse but I really feel a walking bass line on the chorus kicks it right up.

So you aren't stuck with it either.

• 4 weeks later...
What happened? Over the past few years the ukulele somehow turned into the cool college instrument. I've given 3 as presents to people who chose that over guitar.

Very portable, 4 fingers - 4 strings.

And versatile. 40 years ago or so I was at a swap meet in Honolulu.

There was a gentleman who had a swap meet booth for busking. He used a battery powered Peavey amp and had some sort of pickup on his concert size uke.

Played very sophisticated jazz arrangements with style and grace - amazing.

Up until then, I had ignorantly considered a uke to be more or less a toy. In the hands of a master, a good uke is as much music as anybody will ever need or want.

Was at a music shop south of here and I had to run away before the credit card came out, they had a gorgeous 8 string uke, cutaway, built in pickup. I played it for a minute and realized I must flee or buy.

I fled. Would love to have one, someday I'll get a nice one like that.