Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Played a $275K Steinway

Probably 10 years ago, my band was doing a show in Amarillo, TX. We'd just flown in and were headed to the venue via Starbucks when my brother called. 'Dude! The Cody, WY Craigslist has a 1950's Hamburg Steinway D for $10,000!' 'Scam', I said to myself, but called the # anyway. About an hour after the gig, a nice lady from the school called me to tell me I was 3rd in line, and if #1 and 2 backed out she'd call me back. It was the high school's piano, apparently. Tuned 2-4 times a year, under cover when not in use, had a complex humidifier system...pretty much pampered. My wife said 'Where would we put that thing?' I told her 'We'll figure it out...' (while conspiring to finally get rid of the ugly sofa).

Good news: we bought new sofas.

Bad news: I remained 2nd runner up and didn't get the call.

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, here's another one. I got a call for a session in Denver around 2003 maybe? Jazz-ish gig - imagine re-arranging Gospel spirituals in various ways - hip hop, drum n bass, 5/4 jazz, etc. Well apparently, I got the slot for 'Just As I Am' in 5/4 and a couple other tunes I don't remember. That's not the moral of this story.

I pull up to the studio, start unloading my Kurzweil K2600XS in all its 142 lbs. glory inside the Road Ready flight case, and one of the producers comes out...'Hey bro, we've got a piano here at the house'...

Well, this could go any which way, now; couldn't it?

I packed up my K, grabbed my charts and headed into what was actually a pretty cool house...converted to a w-o-r-l-d c-l-a-s-s studio. The best outboard gear available x3 or 4, I don't remember the console - there were honestly too many lights to focus! My producer friend took me into the piano room...

...and there sat a Bosendorfer 290 Imperial with the extended bass notes in cherry satin.

The rest of the session went exactly how you'd expect.

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I