Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Classical Flutist Reacts To Tull

I liked this. I thought it was fun. Ian was evidently full of surprises. She didn"t like his pinky.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So funny that others are discovering these videos! I just sent two of her links to family and friends a few days ago! I nearly died laughing! She's deliberately being comedic, and actually has tremendous respect for Ian Anderson. She didn't know at first that he had a birth defect that makes it difficult to use his pinky; some listeners filled her in on that.

Her own playing is quite beautiful; I visited her page and listened to some pieces she has recorded.

Here's her other "Annotated Tull" video:

I watched that one first (as it's the one that showed up in my sidebar initially), but I think it was done after the one linked above.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

This is an amazing band. Well worth watching the whole performance. The Ian Anderson segment begins just after 30:00. Ian was always musically superb but being self taught often used fingerings that would be considered improper by conservatory standards. Over the years he has refined his technique and is now able to play more "correctly" when needed. Actually some of the things he came up with in his earlier years would be difficult if not nearly impossible to play with standard fingerings.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itCS3oKPrfM

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Looking forward to watching these. I've seen Jethro Tull at least 3 times (you know, sometimes things sort of blend together in the foggy but sparkly past!!!!).

Wore out a couple of their records too.

Now I want a classical guitarist to critique Muddy Water's slide playing...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

This popped up on my YouTube suggestion list the other day, but I didn't watch it. Now that it's come up here I gave it a shot. Really, other than complaining about his right hand technique, she seems rather complimentary of his playing. Considering that he was self-taught and used a lot of unorthodox fingerings, I expected a lot of criticism about that, but she said nary a word.

It may be a matter of perspective from the camera angle, but it appeared that the pinky finger on Ian's right hand is shorter than I would expect. Whether that's actually the case or not, I do not know.

I love Jethro Tull and still listen to their music. On the way home from work one night, I heard an interview with some record company bigwig--don't remember who it was, as this was years ago. He said that every big band had a unique style that had been imitated by other bands. He went on to list Led Zeppelin and their imitators, the Stones, the Dead, etc. etc. etc. All but two. Only two. Santana and Jethro Tull. He said that those two bands were unique and that there had never been a successful attempt to copy their sounds. (For what it's worth, I love a lot of Santana's stuff, too--don't know if there's a link there or not.)

I haven't listened to the PFM video yet--need to move on with my day--but I seem to recall that a band by that name (or something similar, I may be misremembering) played at the August Jam back in '74. I later read that they had been discovered by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. For whatever reason, they never took off. I'll try to listen to that one later today.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Yeah, it's well-known here that Jethro Tull is by far my favourite pop/rock group of all time (I've seen them live five times), and the only one that I could bear on a desert island if it came to that. And I too was expecting a snobbish take-down of Ian's technique, so was pleasantly surprised.

Interesting about the mimic theory. I've always felt that Tull songs sound awful when others sing them. I've never been able to put my finger on why music that seems so universal is simultaneously so specific to its lead singer's particular inflections, phrasing, and timbre.

I consider Santana rather generic though, even though I like most of their material. Part of that is because they've never really had a featured lead vocalist; just band members who sometimes sing (for a rather short string of albums before a change of personnel), and occasional guests who might get billed as vocalist. A lot of their material is instrumental.

By generic, I just mean not an insurmountable challenge to mimic if in a cover band. That's why I say the absence of a long-term front-person as lead singer makes Santana different from almost any other band, as any live show that they do is essentially a "cover band" for their own material (except for whatever is the current album at that time).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Now I want a classical guitarist to critique Muddy Water's slide playing...

This could be a new sub genre.

Yngvie critiques Cobain.

Or Cobain Critiques Yngvie. Yeah I know one of them is dead, I forget which.

Or, 90 year old grandmother reacts to Whole Lotta Love.

Or. Screaming baby reacts to Janis Joplin. Cant wait to miss that one.

FunMachine.

Yes its the YouTube algorithm or we are being purposely steered. Because I too started getting these about 2 days ago. They all have the title formula " reacts to Jethro Tull ". I've received notifications for reactions to locomotive breath by three different people. Just because I listened to the video in the original post. And I didn't 'subscribe' or 'like' the video. Its like when you look at something on sweetwater or amazon and you start seeing ads and emails suggesting that item every day for the next couple months! Growing up in the 70's my top 3 Favorite bands were in descending order were Jethro Tull, Uriah Heap and Bad Company. So I guess I was easy pickings for getting vewers!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I've been seeing "British Guitarist responds to Blither Blather etc." in my YouTube suggestions for months on end now.

I admit to making the mistake of clicking one, once. Right lot of rubbish, wot?

If I keep clicking on weird stuff like Siberian Ice Music and Trout Mask Replica it will probably go away eventually.

Unless "British Guitarist (who never plays a note) responds to Trout Mask Replica played by Siberian Ice drummers."

Which might be pretty cool if the bloody twat just closed his yammering yap...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I didn't find the girl's reaction to Jethro Tull particularly illuminating. She didn't say anything that I found helpful or insightful and I didn't even find her mugging for the camera all that amusing. Given the fact that YouTube will now inundate me with similar videos for the foreseeable future, it probably wasn't worth it.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

A few "Reaction Videos" are excellent. Watching millennial's reactions to Firth Of Fifth is heartwarming. Knowing that a whole new generation appreciates music from 40+ years ago makes me feel good.

[video:youtube]

Steve Coscia