Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
#3042653 05/08/20 12:57 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
I'm hoping to use this as sort of a fact checker thread or at least a place to challenge things that are so often repeated that we may take them as facts. Anything OT goes and I'm hoping folks will add to this as things come up that we may otherwise dismiss to ourselves as BS. I'll start with a few that have resurfaced recently in no particular order:

- Keep unbalanced cables to 10 feet maximum. This came up recently in regard to studio application. I have yet to see any difference between a 1 foot cable and a 20-25 foot cable. If you use decent shielded cable it makes no difference in practice under most "normal circumstances". Yes, RFI can bleed in and balanced certainly helps when it does, but does everyone really have a problem with RFI? I say try it first. I won't speak to live applications where hostile environments prevail.

- Speaking of cables...building your own is way cheaper or "I saved so much money". Maybe if you're using the crapiest connectors and cabling. I build all my own cables because I like the neatness of custom lengths. But its not cheap, especially if you add in the expense of soldering iron and other tools needed not to mention the time involved. Good mono connectors are maybe $4 each and balanced $5 each. Midi connectors are priced about the same. Last year I paid $0.72 per foot for balanced cable. Surprisingly unbalanced is more these days IIRC. Midi cable is about the same price as audio. So that's about $25 for a 20' cable. Like I said you can do it cheaper but still.

- The Andromeda has the worst digital effects ever (or something like that). Never understood this one. I suspect often repeated by people that never programmed an effect in their entire life. These aren't top quality like dedicated units or even better VSTs but certainly on par with other synths (hard and soft) and very usable.

- The less devices connected to USB the better performance I get from my computer or ...use standard midi connectors through an interface when possible. No details ever provided on drivers or that maybe the individuals PC just sucks. I've found no difference in using USB and I've got at least 10 devices all working real time. But seems people love to chant this mantra.

2 members like this: Groove On, Dave Bryce
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042661 05/08/20 01:57 PM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 21,370
Likes: 162
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Offline
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 21,370
Likes: 162
Originally Posted by Markyboard
- The Andromeda has the worst digital effects ever (or something like that). Never understood this one. I suspect often repeated by people that never programmed an effect in their entire life. These aren't top quality like dedicated units or even better VSTs but certainly on par with other synths (hard and soft) and very usable.
Wait - lemme see if I can take this one. grin

Hi -
My name's Dave Bryce, and I was Alesis' marketing manager for their synth division when Andromeda was designed and built. I actually named her... idea wave

The Andromeda's effects are essentially an Alesis Wedge - one of the best sounding effects processors Alesis founder Keith Barr ever made, and one that was quite close to his heart - and an analog distortion circuit which I believe resembles a Pro Co Rat in many ways. cool

I still use a Wedge in my studio. It's the only orther hardware reverb I still use besides my Bricasti M7, so it's probably no surprise that I'm of the opinion that Andy actually has better onboard effects than many other synths. idk

dB

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042669 05/08/20 02:41 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 255
Likes: 6
Senior Member
Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 255
Likes: 6
A couple of more untrue myths.

On the subject of cables: Monster type cables are better than anything that costs less. Conversely the 'el cheapo' cables are just as good as the mid priced ones.

MIDI sounds bad, and GeneralMIDI sounds even worse.

This one very controversial: Tone wood sounds better in a solid body electric guitar that is set up the same and has identical pickups.


Bob "Notes" Norton
Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box
The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042670 05/08/20 02:43 PM
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 96
Senior Member
Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 96
Originally Posted by Markyboard
- Keep unbalanced cables to 10 feet maximum. This came up recently in regard to studio application. I have yet to see any difference between a 1 foot cable and a 20-25 foot cable. If you use decent shielded cable it makes no difference in practice under most "normal circumstances". Yes, RFI can bleed in and balanced certainly helps when it does, but does everyone really have a problem with RFI? I say try it first. I won't speak to live applications where hostile environments prevail.
.

I guess your qualifier “I have yet to see any difference” determines how you think about this. It is quite easily measured, but if you don’t hear it then I guess for you it doesn’t matter.

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042673 05/08/20 03:10 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
Couple more that just popped in my head, and this first one always kills me:

- "I cant justify the purchase being that I'm just a hobbyist". idk Isn't that what hobbies are about? Granted this one gets complicated but I also often hear this from people with decent paying "real jobs"; as opposed to you know, "fake jobs", like pro-musicians facepalm. Now I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money but why do so many people in this category think they can only buy equipment from proceeds earned from their weekend warrior work? Isn't it the full time touring musicians or a pro studio owner that can directly attribute more income to having product X that NEED to justify a purchase ? IMO they're making most of these fun toys for us hobbyist. idea And we'll often buy them as long as somewhere in the manual it says "for pro use". Btw I know all about the wife and kids and all that. Of course Pros don't have any of this rolleyes.

- Comments regarding home studio setups:
"Isn't that keyboard placed too low (or too high) to play it comfortably?"
"Why are your monitors so close together? Or so close to the wall, or corners? Why is your ceiling so low?" (my favorite)
etc.
Fact: It's my FRIGG'N HOME DUMMY! Other people actually live here! mad saber wacko
puff guinness Ahhhhhh.

1 member likes this: David Emm
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
dboomer #3042674 05/08/20 03:19 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by dboomer
Originally Posted by Markyboard
- Keep unbalanced cables to 10 feet maximum. This came up recently in regard to studio application. I have yet to see any difference between a 1 foot cable and a 20-25 foot cable. If you use decent shielded cable it makes no difference in practice under most "normal circumstances". Yes, RFI can bleed in and balanced certainly helps when it does, but does everyone really have a problem with RFI? I say try it first. I won't speak to live applications where hostile environments prevail.
.

I guess your qualifier “I have yet to see any difference” determines how you think about this. It is quite easily measured, but if you don’t hear it then I guess for you it doesn’t matter.

I assume you mean measuring S/N. Are you claiming that a 10' shielded cable automatically gives you a better S/N over 25'? Because I'm pretty sure if no RFI or low frequency coupling is present or penetrating the shield then whatever difference you see will be true for a 10' vs 25' balanced cable as well.

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042684 05/08/20 04:54 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
Platinum Member
Offline
Platinum Member
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
LOVE this thread. I am sure I will think of more - 40+ years as a guitar tech will do that to you. Meanwhile...

Absurd statement - "Active pickups sound harsh and nasty."

OK, EMG is largely responsible for creating this myth. The original installation instructions from EMG for many of their pickups contains a fatal flaw. Since the magnets in EMG pickups are not strong, it is possible to adjust the pickups very close to the strings and improve the signal to noise ratio. This is exactly what the installation instructions advised

True, as far as it goes. First, the signal to noise ratio with EMG pickups has never been a problem. They are very quiet. Second, the balance between strings is compromised when you set the pickups too close. Third, MOST pickups (active AND passive) sound harsher and nastier the closer you get them to the strings, period. Pickups with strong magnetic fields will even cause intonation and sustain problems.

The solution is super simple but apparently nobody pays any attention to the obvious. LOWER the pickups!!!!! Repeat - LOWER the pickups.

I've been using EMG pickups in all my electric guitars since the 1980's. I followed their instructions at first and my workaround at that time was to - "Adjust the tone controls on my amp."
Ummm... duh?

I could be wrong but time and again I've found that guitarists don't seem to have a grasp of what tone controls on amps do. They are there so you can adjust the sound of the amp to the sound of your guitar. Still unhappy? Try changing the speaker!!!! That can be a miracle all it's own.

Then the lightbulb went off in my tiny brain, almost blew a fuse but it wasn't connected to anything anyway. I lowered my pickups and turned the amp up a bit. Much better!!!!
More even response and much better tone.

In the end, there is a universal answer to most questions like this. "LISTEN!!!! Consider. Adjust."


There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042697 05/08/20 05:18 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
Originally Posted by Markyboard
- Keep unbalanced cables to 10 feet maximum. This came up recently in regard to studio application. I have yet to see any difference between a 1 foot cable and a 20-25 foot cable.

Whether it matters depends on the signal source's output impedance, and the amount of cable capacitance. A passive guitar pickup will be subjected to 25 times more cable capacitance with a 25 foot cable than a 1 foot cable. This acts like a secondary tone control that reduces high-frequency response if the guitar is feeding a high-impedance input. Some guitarists actually use long cables as a "feature" because the high-frequency dulling can sound better with distortion.

Quote
- Speaking of cables...building your own is way cheaper or "I saved so much money". Maybe if you're using the crapiest connectors and cabling. I build all my own cables because I like the neatness of custom lengths. But its not cheap, especially if you add in the expense of soldering iron and other tools needed not to mention the time involved.

It's certainly not way cheaper, but if someone wants the neatness of custom lengths, the Planet Waves cable kits don't require a soldering iron, and come with an insulation stripper that saves a lot of time. It's what I use for cables because I can put together a custom-length cable in literally under 3 minutes The cost ends up being about $16 for an 8' cable.

Quote
- The less devices connected to USB the better performance I get from my computer or ...use standard midi connectors through an interface when possible. No details ever provided on drivers or that maybe the individuals PC just sucks. I've found no difference in using USB and I've got at least 10 devices all working real time. But seems people love to chant this mantra.

This is an "it depends" situation. USB devices share the bandwidth on a hub, so if you're connecting lots of MIDI devices, it's not an issue because they're low bandwidth. But bandwidth available to each device will be reduced if you have lots of high-bandwidth devices. Also, adding 1.1 devices to 2.0, or 2.0 devices to 3.0, is different. With 1.1 plugged into 2.0, a transaction translator translates the 1.1 data to 2.0 signals (it doesn't improve the speed, it allows compatibility). However the standard design uses a single transaction translator to handle all the data streams, which produces a bandwidth bottleneck. More advanced designs use multi transaction translators to avoid this limitation. Finally, unpowered hubs may or may not be able to provide enough power for multiple USB devices.

And regarding this one from Notes: "The 'el cheapo' cables are just as good as the mid priced ones." This depends on whether you're talking about sound or durability. The best-sounding 1/4" cables I have in my studio for passive guitar pickups are incredibly flimsy cheapo cables that were made by Mattel, that I picked up surplus for 50 cents each. They wouldn't last for two minutes on stage, but the shielding is so crappy and minimal there's hardly any cable capacitance. So even with really high-impedance pickups, there's no hit on the treble response.

1 member likes this: Dave Bryce
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042699 05/08/20 05:28 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
True cable story: Many years ago in a Chicago studio, two musicians were arguing vehemently about whether cables affected your sound or not. One was adamant that it made a big difference, the other that it made no difference at all.

I pointed to the guy who said it made a big difference and said "you play guitar, and the other guy plays keyboards. Right?" They were totally taken aback. "How did you know?!?" smile

3 members like this: Groove On, David Emm, dboomer
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042705 05/08/20 06:01 PM
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 96
Senior Member
Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 96
My favorite cable story happened many years ago at NAMM. Visiting the Monster cable booth I noticed they had cables marked Guitar, Bass and Keyboard. I asked their rep in the booth ( to be fair likely some junior marketing guy) what was the difference between them. He told me Keyboard players played different notes than guitar players. I asked, “You mean like H &I?”

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042708 05/08/20 06:08 PM
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 96
Senior Member
Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 96
Originally Posted by Markyboard
I assume you mean measuring S/N. Are you claiming that a 10' shielded cable automatically gives you a better S/N over 25'? Because I'm pretty sure if no RFI or low frequency coupling is present or penetrating the shield then whatever difference you see will be true for a 10' vs 25' balanced cable as well.

That would be the case. However I was mainly referring to the fact that the longer the cable the more high frequency response will be lost. This ALWAYS happens. Whether you can hear it or not or whether it bothers you or not is subjective

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
dboomer #3042716 05/08/20 06:52 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
Originally Posted by dboomer
I asked, “You mean like H &I?”

Ha!!!

My favorite questionable cable claim is that they have to be patched in a particular direction. I had no idea it was possible to make cables where all those little electrons have to work their way down a one-way street.

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Anderton #3042718 05/08/20 07:01 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
Platinum Member
Offline
Platinum Member
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
Originally Posted by Anderton
Originally Posted by dboomer
I asked, “You mean like H &I?”

Ha!!!

My favorite questionable cable claim is that they have to be patched in a particular direction. I had no idea it was possible to make cables where all those little electrons have to work their way down a one-way street.

I read an article in Tape Op magazine, an interview with the engineer who ran David Gilmour's studio - which is on a houseboat on the Thames.
One of the things he discussed was the (I am paraphrasing a bit here, strictly from memory) $10,000 speaker cables and how they sounded better when installed in one direction as opposed to the other direction.

Seems unlikely, to say the least. Ha!!! indeed...


There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042722 05/08/20 07:17 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
Regarding the cable discussion above, my bad forgetting I'm posting in a world where people pluck wires, rubber bands or strings across strange elongated wooden stick with pregnant/bulbous end. The comment came up on KC recently regarding synths in a home studio environment where you're dealing with low impedance outputs and plenty of signal - even for those lower level output devices.


Originally Posted by Anderton
Quote
- The less devices connected to USB the better performance I get from my computer or ...use standard midi connectors through an interface when possible. No details ever provided on drivers or that maybe the individuals PC just sucks. I've found no difference in using USB and I've got at least 10 devices all working real time. But seems people love to chant this mantra.

This is an "it depends" situation. USB devices share the bandwidth on a hub, so if you're connecting lots of MIDI devices, it's not an issue because they're low bandwidth. But bandwidth available to each device will be reduced if you have lots of high-bandwidth devices. Also, adding 1.1 devices to 2.0, or 2.0 devices to 3.0, is different. With 1.1 plugged into 2.0, a transaction translator translates the 1.1 data to 2.0 signals (it doesn't improve the speed, it allows compatibility). However the standard design uses a single transaction translator to handle all the data streams, which produces a bandwidth bottleneck. More advanced designs use multi transaction translators to avoid this limitation. Finally, unpowered hubs may or may not be able to provide enough power for multiple USB devices.

Regarding the USB discussion I believe I've seen this numerous times for what I assumed was midi devices only on USB; not audio or anything else of higher bandwidth. But point taken and thanks for enlightening me on this 2thu.

My comments regarding cables were for high quality build your own using a soldering iron vs high quality store bought. I buy solder type components in bulk to reduce cost but failed to consider other options. I assume people making these cost claims are comparing apples to apples/// err.... pc to pc, but maybe not.

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042733 05/08/20 08:07 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
As a reminder this thread is aimed towards forums (here or elsewhere) where "questionable" information is often repeated as fact. I expect manufacturers, marketers, advertisers to promote unsubstantiated claims.

OK try this one: Keyboard dust covers to protect sensitive electronic components from damage. I know, here comes the thermal/heat build up argument blah blah blah . Again I'm thinking studio. If you have to leave your stuff set up in a bar, oasys or sawmill then maybe? I'm sorry, these things are stupid, more of a hassle to get going each day and they are a frigg'n WASTE OF MONEY!

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042743 05/08/20 09:33 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
Originally Posted by Markyboard
Regarding the cable discussion above, my bad forgetting I'm posting in a world where people pluck wires, rubber bands or strings across strange elongated wooden stick with pregnant/bulbous end.

All this time, I thought it was six monophonic oscillators on a plank of wood, with a 6 dB/octave low pass filter smile

1 member likes this: Dave Bryce
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042744 05/08/20 09:39 PM
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,716
Likes: 11
Platinum Member
Offline
Platinum Member
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,716
Likes: 11
I think it would be people who go all adamant over filters. Its probably far worse with modular players. I can certainly appreciate having notch or high-pass filters on a whim, as I remember struggling with only low-pass in that certain era of synths. That's part of why I still praise the Juno-1/2. Its main filter was low-pass, but there was a non-resonant high-pass as well. That made it ideal for bridging certain clarity gaps in a stacked sound.

However, I've heard that cable argument run through the, um, Filter filter and I always end up saying "What are you, a dolphin? How does that minimal shading make the music itself any better?" As above, they always turn and stare.

George Carlin said "Life is a series of dogs." Synthesis is like that: a series of synths, odd pianos, interfaces, cables, stands and software in a slow but still tornadic funnel cloud. KB-Mag is part of how I came to learn what was valid & what was mostly a sales pitch. Most importantly, I bought crap keys (or underdeveloped too-soon items like Kawai's K5) until I got pissed and bought a proper Korg workstation. That's where all I'd learned started to click. Many of the elements of false canon fall away once you dig into the reality. I always tell newbies "Buy the mid-range or better. The low end gear usually sounds good, but the limitations & budget builds will get under your skin. Start more upscale & branching out will take care of itself."


Scotch whiskey is made from barley & the morning dew on angels' nipples. ~ Warren Ellis

https://soundcloud.com/david-emm-1
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Anderton #3042747 05/08/20 09:52 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Anderton
Originally Posted by Markyboard
Regarding the cable discussion above, my bad forgetting I'm posting in a world where people pluck wires, rubber bands or strings across strange elongated wooden stick with pregnant/bulbous end.

All this time, I thought it was six monophonic oscillators on a plank of wood, with a 6 dB/octave low pass filter smile

If only they had included a Fastpass filter for those electrons that don’t want to wait in line. stooges

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042751 05/08/20 10:44 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
Originally Posted by Markyboard
Originally Posted by Anderton
Originally Posted by Markyboard
Regarding the cable discussion above, my bad forgetting I'm posting in a world where people pluck wires, rubber bands or strings across strange elongated wooden stick with pregnant/bulbous end.

All this time, I thought it was six monophonic oscillators on a plank of wood, with a 6 dB/octave low pass filter smile

If only they had included a Fastpass filter for those electrons that don’t want to wait in line. stooges

But that really matters only on unidirectional cables that you must patch in a certain direction. Then again, the point is moot for now. The electrons have to stand six feet apart, that's why the internet is so slow.

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042753 05/08/20 10:51 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
BUT!!!!

I realized that I actually created a cable where it DID matter which end connected to the guitar, and which to the amp.

I made a guitar interface for Maschine so you could plug the guitar into the dynamic mic input, and use all of Maschine's processing to create insanely cool parallel effects. But, the mic input had too much gain, and too low an impedance. So I soldered a resistor into the plug that goes into Maschine. You don't want to attenuate the signal at the guitar end, because now you have a lower-level signal traveling along your cable, making it more susceptible to picking up interference. As a result the plug without a resistor goes into the guitar, and the plug with a resistor plugs into Maschine...where it belongs smile

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042758 05/09/20 12:47 AM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 21,370
Likes: 162
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Offline
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 21,370
Likes: 162
I'm intrigued by synth folks who talk about "listening to a raw oscillator", since I'm not certain if such a thing is practically possible. I mean, sure - you can measure one on an oscilloscope...but, without that darn VCA, ain't nobody listening to nothing as far as I can tell...unless you count routing different types of oscillators through the same system on a modular rig. confused

...and that's another thing - everybody loves to talk about different VCOs and VCFs, but why do VCAs never get any love? idk

dB

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Dave Bryce #3042759 05/09/20 02:01 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Dave Bryce
I'm intrigued by synth folks who talk about "listening to a raw oscillator", since I'm not certain if such a thing is practically possible. I mean, sure - you can measure one on an oscilloscope...but, without that darn VCA, ain't nobody listening to nothing as far as I can tell...unless you count routing different types of oscillators through the same system on a modular rig. confused

...and that's another thing - everybody loves to talk about different VCOs and VCFs, but why do VCAs never get any love? idk

dB

You’re right and I agree this is often overblown without consideration for other influences in the signal path. You can’t listen to an oscillator without at least the VCA and often a filter in the path as well. But with modular and many semi-modulars you can easily compare the sound influence of different oscillators leaving the filter and VCA unchanged. I’ll sometimes connect a modular oscillator output to the external input of a non-modular synth. Sometimes the difference between it an the on-board oscillators are quite different even with the same wave shape. Modular “complex” oscillators tend to be more interesting than most on-board oscillators. But then some of these are really more than just oscillators.

Just like with certain preamps and amps certain VCAs can impart a unique character on the overall synth sound. It mostly has to do with how they respond to saturation. Admittedly I haven’t personally confirmed the VCA responsible for a particular sound character so perhaps I’m just further spreading gospel nono. But I do strongly suspect this to be the case with the Memorymoog.

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042760 05/09/20 02:15 AM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
There are different ways to do VCAs. There was the RCA 3080 transconductance amp, discrete versions, photo-resistors, ICs like those made by SSM, the Signetics 570...the list goes on. And I listen to "raw" waveforms all the time, Studio One has a tone generator.

But it really doesn't make any difference in terms of the emotional impact of the music smile

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042775 05/09/20 05:51 AM
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 94
Likes: 7
Senior Member
Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 94
Likes: 7
What about speaker or headphone "burn-in"? Is that a myth or not?

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042786 05/09/20 07:35 AM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,217
Likes: 20
Platinum Member
Offline
Platinum Member
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,217
Likes: 20
Originally Posted by Markyboard
As a reminder this thread is aimed towards forums (here or elsewhere) where "questionable" information is often repeated as fact. I expect manufacturers, marketers, advertisers to promote unsubstantiated claims.

OK try this one: Keyboard dust covers to protect sensitive electronic components from damage. I know, here comes the thermal/heat build up argument blah blah blah . Again I'm thinking studio. If you have to leave your stuff set up in a bar, oasys or sawmill then maybe? I'm sorry, these things are stupid, more of a hassle to get going each day and they are a frigg'n WASTE OF MONEY!

Not sure about actual damage to the electronic components, since one would hope those would already be encased or shielded. I use dust covers because there is, in fact, dust that can get in-between the keys and in the faders and whatnot. Ever lived in a house with tongue and groove flooring? If someone walks on the 2nd floor above the music area, dust rains down on everything (lightly, but still, over time you really notice). We use lens covers, eyeglass cloths/cases, and raincoats, so why not keyboard covers? I mean if you're playing every single board every day and live alone, there might not be as much of a need. But otherwise? Just keeps things cleaner.

By the way, if you're good at sewing, you can make custom covers that look way better than the flat black stretchy ones.


Yamaha: Motif XF8/YS200/CVP-305/CLP-130/YPG-235/PSR-295/PSS-470
Korg: Krome 61
Kurzweil: PC3
Roland: JV-1000
Casio: CT-370
Kimball Valencia/Broadway/Conn 465/WCOC Reed Organ/Allen ADC-220/Accordions
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Groove On #3042787 05/09/20 07:36 AM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,217
Likes: 20
Platinum Member
Offline
Platinum Member
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,217
Likes: 20
Originally Posted by Groove On
What about speaker or headphone "burn-in"? Is that a myth or not?

I did it with my AKG K240 Studio headphones, but listened before and afterward. I think it did a little in terms of evening out the frequency response so it wasn't as harsh, and a lot of places online say it does something. Maybe not the largest difference, but I don't think it's a myth exactly.


Yamaha: Motif XF8/YS200/CVP-305/CLP-130/YPG-235/PSR-295/PSS-470
Korg: Krome 61
Kurzweil: PC3
Roland: JV-1000
Casio: CT-370
Kimball Valencia/Broadway/Conn 465/WCOC Reed Organ/Allen ADC-220/Accordions
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Groove On #3042788 05/09/20 07:53 AM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
Platinum Member
Offline
Platinum Member
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
Originally Posted by Groove On
What about speaker or headphone "burn-in"? Is that a myth or not?

I've broken-in guitar speakers in before, by playing them at gigs. It isn't a dramatic change, the attack is a bit less "barky" and the low end is smoother but not a great deal.

https://celestion.com/speakerworld/guitartech/3/104/How_to_break-in_a_guitar_speaker/

https://www.klipsch.com/blog/how-and-why-to-break-in-your-new-speakers

Headphones may be a different animal. I have a new pair right now and they sound perfectly fine. Eventually I might notice a difference, I doubt they change significantly.

I do have an old Austrian made pair of AKG K240 with the 1/4" stereo phone plug that sound great but I have no idea how they sounded when they were new decades ago.

So the answer is "Not a myth for some speakers but nothing to worry about."

If a speaker doesn't sound great when it's new it seems unlikey that it will sound great after breaking it in. So choose a different one that you like.


There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042796 05/09/20 11:02 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
2 more for modular synths - first one mostly aimed at my fellow KC-ers who are predominantly trained musicians:

- Modular Synths are for "bleeps and blips" and doing sequencer stuff. While this can be and is often true the sentiment is that they are made exclusively for this purpose. Modulars can be anything you want them them to be; They can be "conventional synths" with many unique features and SOUND that you won't typically find in fixed architecture/conventional synths. I use mine almost exclusively as a tool box similar to how audio guys use 500 series modules. I like adding way more interesting modulations to my conventional synths than what's provided on-board. And I "play" those modulations in real time with foot pedals, AT, wheels etc. along with all those strange white and black switches. I almost never use a sequencer except on rare occasion where I'm exploring something from that angle. And it's frigg'n hardware for you die-hard-ware folks who hate VSTs.

- Modular will suck you down an endless money pit. Doesn't have to and it depends on what you're planning to use modular for; do you know? Do some research and do some more before buying anything. It took me more than a few weeks. I went through it a second time almost 2 years later building a second skiff with all different modules to enhance a stack of synths on the other side of my room. But that's it - I haven't updated, added or regretted anything after completing each skiff. Actually I did make a few adjustments for each build early on but both have been good for a couple of years now with no desire to change anything. Space limitations can be a good thing.

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Mighty Motif Max #3042798 05/09/20 11:13 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mighty Motif Max
Not sure about actual damage to the electronic components, since one would hope those would already be encased or shielded. I use dust covers because there is, in fact, dust that can get in-between the keys and in the faders and whatnot. Ever lived in a house with tongue and groove flooring? If someone walks on the 2nd floor above the music area, dust rains down on everything (lightly, but still, over time you really notice). We use lens covers, eyeglass cloths/cases, and raincoats, so why not keyboard covers? I mean if you're playing every single board every day and live alone, there might not be as much of a need. But otherwise? Just keeps things cleaner.

Ah...you reminded me of my POS house in Buena Park, CA with t&g ceiling; no insulation, just asphalt shingles on top. I would find these piles of sawdust/wood shavings on equipment infrequently not knowing where it came from for several months. Until one day I got up on a step ladder and examined the ceiling above a recently formed pile and saw this little "leg" flicking back and forth. Termites! It took tenting the place 3 times and finally a new roof to solve the problem.

So yeah, I see your point. Same way I wouldn't tell someone not to buy a few pails because their pipes are leaking. poke grin

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
dboomer #3042808 05/09/20 12:52 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 433
Likes: 8
Senior Member
Online Content
Senior Member
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 433
Likes: 8
Originally Posted by dboomer
Originally Posted by Markyboard
- Keep unbalanced cables to 10 feet maximum. This came up recently in regard to studio application. I have yet to see any difference between a 1 foot cable and a 20-25 foot cable. If you use decent shielded cable it makes no difference in practice under most "normal circumstanYes,
.

I guess your qualifier “I have yet to see any difference” determines how you think about this. It is quite easily measured, but if you don’t hear it then I guess for you it doesn’t matter.

There are a number of things in a cable that could possibly affect sound such as resistance, inductance, capacitance between conductors and conductor and shield, and, for high frequency (higher than audio, but maybe applicable to MIDI or digital audio connections), velocity factor of the dielectric material. However, the actual affect on sound, for many characteristics, is very difficult to measure.

If you find a cable that you think makes what goes through it sound better, then by all means, use it if you can afford it. But it's a long path between the mic cable and the end listener's loudspeaker or headphones. Nobody will ever say "this would have sounded a lot better if he used a better mic cable."

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Groove On #3042815 05/09/20 01:45 PM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 21,370
Likes: 162
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Offline
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 21,370
Likes: 162
Originally Posted by Groove On
What about speaker or headphone "burn-in"? Is that a myth or not?
Based on my experience, I would say it is not a myth.

However, I've worked with several brands of speakers over the years, and what I've found is that there are some that need it more then others. As far as I can tell, the materials/technology used to make the driver is a key component in this equation. When I worked with ADAM, I did not find that breaking them in made a big difference...but with Amphion, you absolutely had to play music through those for about 50 hours before they loosened up - I had to break in a bunch of them.

dB

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Dave Bryce #3042846 05/09/20 05:15 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
Originally Posted by Dave Bryce
Originally Posted by Groove On
What about speaker or headphone "burn-in"? Is that a myth or not?
Based on my experience, I would say it is not a myth.

However, I've worked with several brands of speakers over the years, and what I've found is that there are some that need it more then others.

That may also have something to do with whether speakers were burned in at the factory. I think KRK may have done that for at least some of their products, not sure if they still do. The engineers there say that burning in does in fact make a difference, because it reduces stiffness in the cone, so it can respond better to high frequencies.

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Anderton #3042849 05/09/20 05:22 PM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 21,370
Likes: 162
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Offline
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 21,370
Likes: 162
Originally Posted by Anderton
That may also have something to do with whether speakers were burned in at the factory. I think KRK may have done that for at least some of their products, not sure if they still do. The engineers there say that burning in does in fact make a difference, because it reduces stiffness in the cone, so it can respond better to high frequencies.
No question. Alesis definitely did that with the Monitor Ones and Twos when I worked there. I tried to convince Amphion they should do that...but they didn't feel it was the manufacturer's responsibility.

ADAM certainly never did back when I was working for them, but as I mentioned earlier, their speakers didn't seem to need it. Seems conceivable that the use of the (extremely fast) folded ribbon diaphragm tweeter may have helped with that... idk

dB

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Dave Bryce #3042857 05/09/20 05:52 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
Originally Posted by Dave Bryce
ADAM certainly never did back when I was working for them, but as I mentioned earlier, their speakers didn't seem to need it. Seems conceivable that the use of the (extremely fast) folded ribbon diaphragm tweeter may have helped with that... idk

That makes sense, stiffness would be more of a problem with high frequencies.

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Anderton #3042859 05/09/20 06:00 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
Platinum Member
Offline
Platinum Member
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
Originally Posted by Anderton
Originally Posted by Dave Bryce
ADAM certainly never did back when I was working for them, but as I mentioned earlier, their speakers didn't seem to need it. Seems conceivable that the use of the (extremely fast) folded ribbon diaphragm tweeter may have helped with that... idk

That makes sense, stiffness would be more of a problem with high frequencies.

With different applications I would agree with you. For guitar, many speakers arrive with stiff suspensions and spiders. I've had a couple of Celestions that sounded different and "better" to me after they had some hours on them and it did smooth out the lower frequencies as the components were flexed and became more pliaible. Cheers, Kuru


There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Anderton #3042895 05/09/20 09:45 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 433
Likes: 8
Senior Member
Online Content
Senior Member
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 433
Likes: 8
Originally Posted by Anderton
That may also have something to do with whether speakers were burned in at the factory.

Bozak had a room outside the plant in Connecticut where they'd break in (and QC test) their woofers by powering them up for a week or so with 60 Hz from the AC line, stepped down to the appropriate power level for the speaker.

Fun fact: In the 1940s, before establishing his speaker company, worked for G. C. Conn and helped develop the electric organ. He then went on to Wurlitzer to work on speakers for their organs.

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042900 05/09/20 10:33 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
Bozak- there’s a name I haven’t heard or thought of in many years. My dad had Bozak speakers in his hi-fi console; that lengthy piece of living room furniture in which the speakers were fixed at the opposite end positions. Only reason I know they were Bozak is I remember the metal tag/emblem at the bottom of each cabinet grill cloth. It’s funny how 50+ years later I can still feel my tiny fingers around that pre-amp tuner knob.

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Mike Rivers #3042906 05/09/20 10:55 PM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 21,370
Likes: 162
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Offline
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 21,370
Likes: 162
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
Bozak had a room outside the plant in Connecticut where they'd break in (and QC test) their woofers by powering them up for a week or so with 60 Hz from the AC line, stepped down to the appropriate power level for the speaker.
Yup, I've been told a low frequency sine wave at low volume works well,too. I tend to prefer letting iTunes play my library at low volume for a day or two.

dB

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042911 05/09/20 11:18 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 433
Likes: 8
Senior Member
Online Content
Senior Member
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 433
Likes: 8
Originally Posted by Markyboard
Bozak- there’s a name I haven’t heard or thought of in many years. My dad had Bozak speakers in his hi-fi console

The Bozak E-4000s that I assembled from kits in the late 1960s are still my living room speakers. The cabinets were pre-cut for four pairs of tweeters, one midrange speaker, and two woofers. I started out with "stage two" one pair of tweeters, the midrange, and one woofer. I made the crossovers myself using the inductor and capacitor values from the Bozak manual, winding the inductors using a formula that related the number of turns of a chosen gauge of magnet wire.

A few years ago one of the midrange speakers died. Other than the rubbing of the voice coil it sounded about the same without the midrange speaker, so I opened up the cabinet to disconnect it, removed the inductors, and replaced the capacitor in series with the tweeters with a new one of the proper value, closed it up and listened to it. I liked it better than the one with the working midrange, so I disconnected that one and re-wired it, too. I'd like to replace them with something more modern, but then I'd have to find someplace to put all the stuff that's on top of them. wink

Hey, if you're actually in Springfield, come visit them some time when they determine that it's safe to go out. I'm in Falls Church. In fact (way off topic now) there are a few of us here from the DC area. We should get together some day.

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Mike Rivers #3042914 05/10/20 12:10 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
Hey, if you're actually in Springfield, come visit them some time when they determine that it's safe to go out. I'm in Falls Church. In fact (way off topic now) there are a few of us here from the DC area. We should get together some day.

Would love to do that Mike. And likewise I will keep you in mind when “a few more of us” locals get together next time. Btw never realized Falls Gulch is related to Falls Church

I’ll ask my dad if he remembers anything about those Bozaks he had. At 94 he may be thinking clown rather than speakers. grin

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Groove On #3042921 05/10/20 01:00 AM
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 96
Senior Member
Offline
Senior Member
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 96
Originally Posted by Groove On
What about speaker or headphone "burn-in"? Is that a myth or not?

I would ask result are you expecting? Almost all speakers are mechanical devices and they will undergo at least some small change every time you play them whether at “break in” or just during continued use over time.

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3042922 05/10/20 01:02 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,188
Likes: 18
J
MPN Advisory Board
Platinum Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
Platinum Member
J
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,188
Likes: 18
Originally Posted by Markyboard
OK try this one: Keyboard dust covers to protect sensitive electronic components from damage. I know, here comes the thermal/heat build up argument blah blah blah . Again I'm thinking studio. If you have to leave your stuff set up in a bar, oasys or sawmill then maybe? I'm sorry, these things are stupid, more of a hassle to get going each day and they are a frigg'n WASTE OF MONEY!

OK, here's a situation: my studio is in my attached garage in my house here on Maui, HI. The garage by design (flood zone) is not completely sealed, so I get Geckos in here. All the time. So dust covers are a must unless I want their dropping all over my gear. Just a fact of life here in the tropics.

Jerry

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
jerrythek #3042933 05/10/20 01:59 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,893
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by jerrythek
OK, here's a situation: my studio is in my attached garage in my house here on Maui, HI. The garage by design (flood zone) is not completely sealed, so I get Geckos in here. All the time. So dust covers are a must unless I want their dropping all over my gear. Just a fact of life here in the tropics.

Jerry

Yeah right, nice try Jerry rolleyes. This would be about the time they start planning next year’s Super Bowl commercials.

[Linked Image from s3-prod.adage.com]
roll

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3043241 05/12/20 01:03 AM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
Here's another one: a 1959 Les Paul is going to be much better than a 2019 one.

To which the correct answer is - well, maybe, if you get a particularly good 1959 Les Paul. But quality control sucked back then. The instruments are now being made to a much higher standard.

When I was first at Gibson, someone asked "okay, level with me. Would you rather have a Les Paul being made today, or one from 1959?"

I answered "one from 1959, of course."

The person gave me this look like "Aha! He says the old ones were better! I KNEW it!"

And then I added "That way I could sell the 1959 to a collector with more money than brains, and make enough from selling it to buy as many guitars I want for the rest of my life. I think I'll start with another PRS."

1 member likes this: Joe Muscara
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Anderton #3043244 05/12/20 01:25 AM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
Platinum Member
Offline
Platinum Member
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
Originally Posted by Anderton
Here's another one: a 1959 Les Paul is going to be much better than a 2019 one.

To which the correct answer is - well, maybe, if you get a particularly good 1959 Les Paul. But quality control sucked back then. The instruments are now being made to a much higher standard.

When I was first at Gibson, someone asked "okay, level with me. Would you rather have a Les Paul being made today, or one from 1959?"

I answered "one from 1959, of course."

The person gave me this look like "Aha! He says the old ones were better! I KNEW it!"

And then I added "That way I could sell the 1959 to a collector with more money than brains, and make enough from selling it to buy as many guitars I want for the rest of my life. I think I'll start with another PRS."


Hah! This is certainly true. I'd do the same for the same reason.

A genuine D'Angelico archtop might be another story but I'm not getting one of those either unless a miracle occurs.

Modern Fender guitars are far better build quality than older ones as well.
And - (people hate when I say this!!!!) - the new Martins with the multi-laminate neck and "plastic" (sorry, Richlite!!!!) fretboards that I've played usually sound amazing. So do some vintage Martins but I had a 65 D-18 that was not impressive at all.

One aspect of older guitars is that pickups were all handwound. They can vary wildly. I've heard/played vintage P-90s that just screamed and some that sounded dull, yet lifeless.
The same is true for Fender pickups, everybody wanted to buy my 65 Tele decades ago because the bridge pickup was a special sort of evil. Some of them aren't.

A freind had a vintage Tweed Champ that sounded like no other. Could have been the OT, could have been a magical tube (another voodoo magic mojo thang), I have no idea. I've never heard another that sounded like that.


There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
KuruPrionz #3043257 05/12/20 03:08 AM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz
And - (people hate when I say this!!!!) - the new Martins with the multi-laminate neck and "plastic" (sorry, Richlite!!!!) fretboards that I've played usually sound amazing.

Thanks for bringing up another BS myth. When I was at Gibson, I researched Richlite big time. It's better than conventional wood in just about EVERY RESPECT except snob appeal. Talk to any expert luthier, and they'll tell you the same thing - Richlite is more consistent, doesn't get messed up by changes in weather, and you can even refret a Richlite fingerboard without tearing it apart.

I was disappointed when "the new Gibson" jettisoned Richlite for the Custom Shop. If their buyers are too closed-minded to do the research needed to understand that Richlite would give them a better guitar, better playing experience, and better fingerboard, then I think it's the company's responsibility to educate people as to why they should want a superior guitar instead of slavishly following the past because, well, "it's the past so it must be good."

Sure, for traditionalists, a fingerboard has to be wood, preferably an endangered species - particularly for the lawyers who still fancy themselves rock and rollers, and spend thousands of dollars on a "relic'ed" guitar so they can pretend they went on the road. Okay, go play with your toys and live in your dream world. I make my living with guitars, and I want the best guitar...not the best status symbol.

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Anderton #3043258 05/12/20 03:35 AM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
Platinum Member
Offline
Platinum Member
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
Originally Posted by Anderton
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz
And - (people hate when I say this!!!!) - the new Martins with the multi-laminate neck and "plastic" (sorry, Richlite!!!!) fretboards that I've played usually sound amazing.

Thanks for bringing up another BS myth. When I was at Gibson, I researched Richlite big time. It's better than conventional wood in just about EVERY RESPECT except snob appeal. Talk to any expert luthier, and they'll tell you the same thing - Richlite is more consistent, doesn't get messed up by changes in weather, and you can even refret a Richlite fingerboard without tearing it apart.

I was disappointed when "the new Gibson" jettisoned Richlite for the Custom Shop. If their buyers are too closed-minded to do the research needed to understand that Richlite would give them a better guitar, better playing experience, and better fingerboard, then I think it's the company's responsibility to educate people as to why they should want a superior guitar instead of slavishly following the past because, well, "it's the past so it must be good."

Sure, for traditionalists, a fingerboard has to be wood, preferably an endangered species - particularly for the lawyers who still fancy themselves rock and rollers, and spend thousands of dollars on a "relic'ed" guitar so they can pretend they went on the road. Okay, go play with your toys and live in your dream world. I make my living with guitars, and I want the best guitar...not the best status symbol.

2 of my all time favorite guitars ever are Rainsongs. They are all graphite and resin, there is no wood. They look great, they play great, they sound amazing - always, and all of my guitar playing friends are hoping they will get them when I die, lol.

With the exception of a couple of vintage Silvertone Danelectros, I don't collect guitars. If they can add to my sounds then I might accumulate. I don't care what they are made of, who made them, where they came from or what color they are. I do love pretty wood but it doesn't have to be on guitars. One of my current favorites is a well beaten Ibanez Gio Mikro, it's sort of a homely, nasty little thing but with the shorter scale and intonatable bridge it makes a great Nashville tuned guitar. Slip a bit of that under a six string acoustic and you'll never know it's a cheap Indonesian midget Strat.


There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3043260 05/12/20 03:56 AM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
Platinum Member
Offline
Platinum Member
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
OK, here's another guitar myth.

You wanna sound like Jimi Hendrix? You need to get a left-handed Strat, flip it over and play it through a vintage Fuzz Face and Wah pedal into a Marshall stack.
Yeah, that s the ticket.

If that were true, where are all the great Hendix-style guitarists? Randy Hansen has spent his life doing a Jimi Hendrix tribute show, it's really good but it's not Jimi.
He knows it, his show is a respectful bow to a true guitar pioneer.

Nobody is going to sound like Hendrix. So, now what?

Since each of us is blessed (and stuck) sounding like ourselves, why not become the best YOU that YOU can?
I can figure out quite a few signature licks without trying very hard, I've never learned anybody else's guitar solo note for note and can't imagine why I would ever do that.

Sure, you fire up Folsom Prison Blues and I'll start the solo with "dah-do dah deet dah deet deet" but all bets are off after that.


There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
KuruPrionz #3043271 05/12/20 06:13 AM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz
Since each of us is blessed (and stuck) sounding like ourselves, why not become the best YOU that YOU can?

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

I just wrote an article for Sweetwater's inSync magazine on 10 rookie recording mistakes. One of them was not mixing your voice high enough (are you listening, BMD?). I said to own your vocal, keep it human, and if you don't think it's good enough, I have two words for you:





Bob Dylan smile

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Anderton #3043274 05/12/20 06:31 AM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
Platinum Member
Offline
Platinum Member
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
Originally Posted by Anderton
Bob Dylan smile

Ha!!! Bob Dylan is a fine singer, he just sounds like Bob Dylan. Same is true for John Prine, Lucinda Williams, Leonard Cohen and that is truly a long list!
I listen to my own voice and I am starting to get used to it but others tell me they like my singing so I'm going with THEIR opinions. laugh

I do sound just like me though.

If you tell your story and aren't too hideous pitch-wise you should do fine. I think I'm good at phrasing and that helps.
I am transfixed by a great lyric and a great story. A great singer doesn't do much for me unless they are telling a story.

Was shopping the other day and the canned music played Mariah Carey's version of "I Wanna Know What Love Is" - the Foreigner song. First time I'd heard it.
I never liked the song or Mariah Carey but she knocked that one out of the park. She got pipes, no doubt. She made the story come alive and I felt it.

The video is 10 feet deep in Velveta, good hair though... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCadlN8fexk


There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
KuruPrionz #3043328 05/12/20 02:33 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 433
Likes: 8
Senior Member
Online Content
Senior Member
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 433
Likes: 8
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz
OK, here's another guitar myth.

You wanna sound like Jimi Hendrix? You need to get a left-handed Strat, flip it over and play it through a vintage Fuzz Face and Wah pedal into a Marshall stack.
Yeah, that s the ticket.

Reminds me of a time when the guitarist, who was a pretty good player and had a nice sounds guitar, asked me "Can you get it sounding more like Doc Watson?". I said, sure, I'll give you his phone number and you can bring him in for the session. Then assured him that his guitar sound and playing were just fine, and told him that the reason nobody else sounded just like Doc is because he's Doc and it's how he plays. It's his touch. He can pick up any guitar and he'll still sound like Doc. You could pick up Doc's guitar and still sound like you.

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Mike Rivers #3043357 05/12/20 04:43 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
Platinum Member
Offline
Platinum Member
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
Reminds me of a time when the guitarist, who was a pretty good player and had a nice sounds guitar, asked me "Can you get it sounding more like Doc Watson?". I said, sure, I'll give you his phone number and you can bring him in for the session. Then assured him that his guitar sound and playing were just fine, and told him that the reason nobody else sounded just like Doc is because he's Doc and it's how he plays. It's his touch. He can pick up any guitar and he'll still sound like Doc. You could pick up Doc's guitar and still sound like you.


^^^This is the reality. The fantasy used to be a significant income for me.
The aftermarket pickup industry fueled lots of installations for me, a rock star would endorse bla bla bla and I'd put them in local players guitars. DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, PAF in the neck - did a TON of those.

Then, Frampton Live came out. I installed a middle pickup in a couple of Les Pauls. Not an easy one so I charged for it but the players really "needed the Frampton sound." Always disliked that record!

The Floyd Rose locking vibrato system came out and the first Van Halen record hit. Nobody was making guitars with Floyds installed at the factory, I became the Floyd Rose installer. At least I liked the record.
Eventually, the deal was struck with Kramer and then I became the Floyd Rose setup guy. They are kind of tricky to set up, one adjustment changes the other ones. Easier work, still money coming in.

I got to see this "I want to sound like *XYZ*" thing first hand. Some of my customers were playing in cover bands doing straight covers so a Floyd Rose was a tool for them and they made money using it.
Others were simply delusional but happy when they got their new toys. Either way, I got paid.


There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3043407 05/12/20 07:41 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 6,108
Likes: 12
T
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
T
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 6,108
Likes: 12
Not all 1958/59/60 Les Pauls were quality guitars, there were duds from that era. A bone stock '59 has a gorgeous maple top won't mean it has great tone.

The tone is in the wood - the body, the neck. I always auditioned guitars unplugged, I want to hear the wood resonate. That goes a long way towards good tone, and my peers who play my guitars agree. You can change the pickups and strings and electronics, but they won't save poor tonewoods. You can't plan good tonewoods, it is a game of chance. There's no way to predict if they are going to sound great until the finished product is put together. Then they get shipped to the retail stores and you have to cherry pick to find the good ones.

You can find modern guitars with good tone. I landed a very good LP from 2006, one of the custom pieces made for Guitar Center. When customers were peeking around the corner wondering where that guitar sound was coming from, that was a great big clue that if I didn't buy that guitar someone else was going to. I know some very discriminating guitar players who have played it and they couldn't believe it is bone stock.

You can find a good guitar from any era. Fenders required more cherry picking, acoustic guitars a LOT more.

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
Markyboard #3043411 05/12/20 08:10 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,828
Likes: 69
And here's another one: Ancient, vintage Neumann condenser mics are as good as it gets, and are way better than the reissues. Well...not necessarily. It depends on what shape the diaphragm is in.

Re: Fact Checker: Dispelling Forum "Gospel"
The Real MC #3043415 05/12/20 08:25 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
Platinum Member
Offline
Platinum Member
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 57
Originally Posted by The Real MC
Not all 1958/59/60 Les Pauls were quality guitars, there were duds from that era. A bone stock '59 has a gorgeous maple top won't mean it has great tone.

The tone is in the wood - the body, the neck. I always auditioned guitars unplugged, I want to hear the wood resonate. That goes a long way towards good tone, and my peers who play my guitars agree. You can change the pickups and strings and electronics, but they won't save poor tonewoods. You can't plan good tonewoods, it is a game of chance. There's no way to predict if they are going to sound great until the finished product is put together. Then they get shipped to the retail stores and you have to cherry pick to find the good ones.

You can find modern guitars with good tone. I landed a very good LP from 2006, one of the custom pieces made for Guitar Center. When customers were peeking around the corner wondering where that guitar sound was coming from, that was a great big clue that if I didn't buy that guitar someone else was going to. I know some very discriminating guitar players who have played it and they couldn't believe it is bone stock.

You can find a good guitar from any era. Fenders required more cherry picking, acoustic guitars a LOT more.

There is truth to the wood/tone aspect of your post and I also like to play a solid body instrument unplugged. If it sounds good unplugged, it sounds good.
And yes, with factory made guitars from the past, the woods are a variable that can make one guitar better than another. Custom made guitars may be another story, a luthier will often do a "tap test", holding a piece of wood by balancing it on a finger and then sharply flicking another finger while holding the wood close to one's ear. Some pieces of wood "ring", others "thump".

As a guitar tech, I've played a LOT of Les Pauls and some of them sing and chime and some of them sound like a wet log. Sounds like you picked a good one!!!
I mention in a post above the variables in vintage hand wound pickups, you also have to factor in the condition of the electronics and the hardware.
The old Gibson tune-o-matic bridge with the bent piece of piano wire holding the saddles in place is a tone suck, especially the ones with the nylon saddles but the metal ones are not much better.

Your guitar will have a much better bridge on it, at that point I think Gibson was using Schaller made bridges, good stuff.

Crappy old tuners can suck tone too, anything mechanical that might resonate will eat sustain but not evenly.

I don't even consider vintage Fenders, the 7.5 fingerboard radius is a no-go for me. Gibson's 12" is much better, lower action while not inhibiting string bends.
The new Fenders/Gibsons with the compound radius (something Warmoth has been doing for a LONG time!!!) are a huge improvement for modern playing.

I build my own "Fenders" out of parts I chose. For my style of playing they are much better than the stock ones and far less costly. Resale value is lower too but my guitars are for me to play.

That doesn't stop me from buying and selling when opportunity arises, totally different subject. Cheers, Kuru


There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Anderton 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4