Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This may interest the President of the MMA (or it may not!)

Craig, remember that song of mine you covered? I love your version, as you know

Well I've been messing about with Studio One Prime and have recorded a brand new backing track using only MIDI

For your listening pleasure (or to make you cringe with embarrassment for me) here's my new take on Black Market Daydreams

One bar of drum loop, two bars of intro, and then the vocals would come in

I've nothing better to do at the moment :snax:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still love that song, and so does everyone I play it for. Remember how I said good songs are "indestructible," you can do them in a zillion different ways and they still work. This is another example.

Of course, now I want to hear the vocals...that arrangement would give you a chance to stretch out on the vocals. It's kind of the reverse of "Only After You," where I slowed it down and that gave me a lot more vocal options.

I'm glad you nicked the idea of using a choir :) It really added a haunting quality to my cover version, and does the same thing here.

Questions: Don't you have a full version of Studio One? If so, why are you using Prime? Also, where the synths you're using included in Prime?

I'm not doing any vocals. This is for taking to a rehearsal room and singing along. I've advertised for a post-covid guitarist to help me out in a live situation. I have the full version of Studio One (given to me by Mr. Orpheus, if you recall) on another laptop that resides in my loft. But I prefer this Acer laptop and I can get all I need (for what I want to do at the moment) from the free version

Yep, the synths are included and are (as you know) accessed by pressing F5

FYI - the drums are a loop, bass is Big Taurus, there's a trumpet, a choir, and some 'icy keys' for the M8. I kept it really simple. I've done another 13 of my songs in a similar vein. I'm liking doing my stuff 'electronically'. Vive la difference!

986.thumb.png.d2664eeced72f6e5d84e26f3623e2372.png

987.thumb.png.4f38fa5e2a30dd97e89a0d41cf6cccf9.png

Yes, it's a different vibe. I've been using nothing but acoustic drums, played by a human drummer, on my last projects. However for my latest one, I'm using electronic drums because they fit with the musical genre (zouk/soca). I have to say that electronic drums have their own uses and charms. I've been very happy with Addictive Drums, it gives the sounds I want. I wouldn't say the drum parts sound like "real drums," but they actually fit better with what I'm doing than acoustic drums/human drummer.

I'm with you there

I think it's very easy to say 'Well, I'm of a certain age and was brought up on 'classic rock', so upon that rock I will stand.' I like to mix things up a bit

To me as a songwriter, instruments (be they traditional or electronic) are tools. And I'll use any tool in the tool-kit to get the job done

I'm not a 'guitars or death' kind of a guy. I'm pretty sure you aren't, either ;)