Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Classic Keyboards for your coffee table

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the Chroma was never really pretty, or even interesting on the outside. A better picture might be the extensive spec sheet. :)

Sacrilege!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Chroma looks, feels, responds, and sounds like a real musical instrument, not an industrial plastic box o digital doodies.

rhodes-chroma-mit-expander.jpg

Moe

---

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Before Classic Keys was published in December, the publisher's marketing director warned me about Amazon's weird and wonderful pricing algorithm, and predicted that the book's price would fluctuate wildly for no apparent reason. That indeed has happened.

A few minutes ago, I noticed that Amazon was selling the book at a 47% discount from its list price, with free shipping. If you've been looking for a gift for Uncle Fred's birthday, this might be a good opportunity. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1574417762/

It really wouldn't surprise me if they raise the price $10-$20 by tomorrow. That's just the way it seems to go with Amazon.

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

Hammond B2; Leslie 21H; Leslie 31H; Rhodes Stage 73; Rhodes Piano Bass; Hohner Clavinet D6; Hohner Pianet N; Vox Continental; Gibson G101 organ; Wurlitzer 140B; Minimoog Model D.

• 4 months later...

David Robertson and I are quite pleased that 'Classic Keys: Keyboard sounds that launched rock music' was just awarded a certificate of merit in the 2020 Awards for Excellence of the Association for Recorded Sound Collections. The book was recognized in the category of 'Best research in recorded rock and popular music.' The ARSC, founded in 1966, is dedicated to the preservation and study of sound recordings. Its members include historians, archivists, museum curators, musicians, record collectors, music producers, reviewers and broadcasters. https://www.classickeysbook.com/

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

Hammond B2; Leslie 21H; Leslie 31H; Rhodes Stage 73; Rhodes Piano Bass; Hohner Clavinet D6; Hohner Pianet N; Vox Continental; Gibson G101 organ; Wurlitzer 140B; Minimoog Model D.

Congrats, Alan & David!

I got the book a few months ago and loved it. Actually, I unintentionally bought two and gave one to my son-in-law. He"s an architect and enjoyed reading about pipe organs and institutions that housed them. He was always fascinated by the mellotron (he"s musical, but not a keys player) and liked that chapter also.

Great job!

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

Thanks Chief! It's great to hear both you and your son-in-law have enjoyed it.

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

David Robertson and I are quite pleased that 'Classic Keys: Keyboard sounds that launched rock music' was just awarded a certificate of merit in the 2020 Awards for Excellence of the Association for Recorded Sound Collections. The book was recognized in the category of 'Best research in recorded rock and popular music.' The ARSC, founded in 1966, is dedicated to the preservation and study of sound recordings. Its members include historians, archivists, museum curators, musicians, record collectors, music producers, reviewers and broadcasters. https://www.classickeysbook.com/

Alan

A well deserved award Alan. Huge congrats! I continue to be impressed with the book as I periodically pick it up and read sections in between my day gig work. It's such a welcome distraction.....:)

Alan

A well deserved award Alan. Huge congrats! I continue to be impressed with the book as I periodically pick it up and read sections in between my day gig work. It's such a welcome distraction.....:)

Thanks so much!

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

• 2 weeks later...

Alan

Congrats Alan -- that's quite an honor. And it's quite a book too!!!

I just got a copy and was immediately impressed with the size and weight of it!

But that pales compared to the excellence in photography and writing that is contained inside.

No, I haven't read/seen it all yet -- but I will soon.

For those here who are also firearms enthusiasts, some may know of the late R.L. Wilson who was world famous for his excellent hardcover and expertly photographed and written books on fine firearms like old Colts, collectible Winchesters, engraved guns ("Steel Canvas") and the like -- and I would put this book about keyboards on the same very high pedestal as those. It is simply awesome!

I can't imagine the hours you and David spent on it -- but there were indeed "well spent".

Thank you from a grateful "Classic Keys" book owner.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much! It was our labor of love!

(And sorry for the slow response. Is there a way to be notified when a thread in which you've posted has additional posts?)

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

• 3 months later...
Received a copy of this book a couple days ago and have barely cracked it, but it's beautiful in every aspect. I expected the gorgeous pictures, but not the extensive well-told history.

You rock Alan!

I appreciate the kind comments! I just read them to my wife, who, with a wry smile, said "That's wonderful! You still have to take out the garbage." And so I did... ;-)

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com