Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer Poly D is Shipping

Pet Peeve...should be called Para D.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Another pet peeve (although not about the instrument): I pre-ordered mine from Guitar Center in early January. In April they auto-cancelled my order because it had been waiting too long so I lost my place in line. They were more than happy to put the order in again for me, but I said no thanks, I'd rather pre-order from someplace that will keep my place in line while I wait. Should have ordered from Sweetwater which will keep you spot in line and provide actual updates about shipping, or gone overseas to Thomann and Andertons which have both had them available off and on for a couple of months.

I know it"s come up before - but what is involved for US citizens to purchase from Thomman"s or Anderton"s? US dollar is about .92 euros right now. Purchasing without paying VAT and shipping to US occasionally seems a bit cheaper - is there a duty to be paid stateside?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Another pet peeve (although not about the instrument): I pre-ordered mine from Guitar Center in early January. In April they auto-cancelled my order because it had been waiting too long so I lost my place in line. They were more than happy to put the order in again for me, but I said no thanks, I'd rather pre-order from someplace that will keep my place in line while I wait. Should have ordered from Sweetwater which will keep you spot in line and provide actual updates about shipping, or gone overseas to Thomann and Andertons which have both had them available off and on for a couple of months.

I don't know about Guitar Center, but when I ordered my Model D via Musician's Friend (same company as Guitar Center), after a month or two had passed in backorder status they sent a note asking if I wanted to cancel my order or stay in line. I said I wanted to stay on the list. It worked. I got my D.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

My memory is that you don't have to pay duty if the value is under $800, which a Poly D would be.

THAT explains it. Years ago before many sources were selling Eurorack in the US, I made a few orders from Europe. It was cheaper to order Doepfer from Germany or England than from California. I never had to pay duties and wondered why. My orders were always under $800.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I don't know about Guitar Center, but when I ordered my Model D via Musician's Friend (same company as Guitar Center), after a month or two had passed in backorder status they sent a note asking if I wanted to cancel my order or stay in line. I said I wanted to stay on the list. It worked. I got my D.

Grey

That would have been nice and I would have appreciated that! They just autocancelled my order and sent me a notice and I didn't find out what was going on until I called. I'll still shop at GC because they're stupid close to my house, but I won't do pre-orders there anymore.

Grey

I ordered the Poly D April 24th and Sweetwater said their entire May allotment was pre-sold and that mine would ship in June. I figured I'd get my pre-order in before the fulfillment dates pushes out to July. Well, mine shipped yesterday. Then I wondered whether their original June fulfillment time frame was a sales tactic. The tactic is called scarcity whereby people want more of what is in diminishing supply.

Steve Coscia

I have to say that I don't really understand the desire for this keyboard. Never been into paraphonic. Too much like the synth section of my old Arp Omni II.

It has its own uses and charms, and varies widely in utility from keyboard to keyboard. It was once a cost-saving measure, but it has often led to some cool musical stuff. My Arturia MatrixBrute can do some really neat things with Paraphony.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I have to say that I don't really understand the desire for this keyboard. Never been into paraphonic. Too much like the synth section of my old Arp Omni II.

I would have said the same until I played a Moog Matriarch. It was unreasonably fun and sounded great. If you can't have a true poly, it's got more tricks than a mono synth.

Moe

---

• 2 years later...

Just a quick test of mine...

There are thousands of videos in which the super-masters-testers compare the original vintage Model D with the Poly D clone.
I was curious to hear what happens if I put that instrument in a mix with other (more or less intrusive) stuff and understand how long it takes me to realize that it's not the original…

I was curious to give it a try in the calm of my studio, after trying the Poly D in a hurry in a shop.

Above all I wanted to “touch”, because you read the usual comments on the net: "it's plastic", etc. etc.

Well, no, it's definitely not plastic, at least not more than other "big brands" (and big prices) other keyboards currently on the market.

Indeed, about ten kgs, beeing smaller than the Minimoog which weighs 13: proportionally it weighs more than the vintage Minimoog!

(not that the weight indicates higher or lower quality, but it certainly testifies that it is an object of "substance").

OK, there are (big) differences. No doubt, they definitely do not sound “equal”. The attack, the filter, etc…

But… the theme is mainly one: a "mint condition" vintage now reaches quotations beyond the ordinary imagination...

When I bought my vintage Model D (about ten years ago), it was priced at a third of what someone would currently give me if I want to sell it now!

And the Poly D now stands at a tenth of those quotations (thanks Uli for lowering prices!). And this allows young musicians who want that timbre to try their hand with an otherwise unapproachable instrument.

So, my useless test...

(no eq. just the same digital stereo delay added in Cubase)

So... how long it takes to realize that it's not the original (without looking at the video)? 🍻

• Like 4

4 hours ago, KRK said:

So... how long it takes to realize that it's not the original (without looking at the video)? 🍻

I watched your video yesterday during a break from work. To these old ears the two sounded the same in the context of the song you played. 

Thanks for taking the time to do this. :cheers:

• Like 2
:nopity:

6 hours ago, Doerfler said:

I watched your video yesterday during a break from work. To these old ears the two sounded the same in the context of the song you played. 

Thanks for taking the time to do this. :cheers:

I watched it on a work break too -- really well done!  And I'll add my thanks as well!

Loved the vibe and snarly Hammond too -- sounds great!!!

11 hours ago, KRK said:

Just a quick test of mine...

So, my useless test...

You've got it all wrong -- seriously! -- that was a very useful and helpful test!  Bravo!

Old No7

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Speaking of intonation, I’ve noticed that mine starts to settle and get flat and quieter over the 10 minutes after it turn it on. That’s curious because I would expect the opposite. But my electrical engineer bandmate suggested that these things often have a temp sensor, and it might be overcompensating.

this is not a problem that’s bothered me much, I just try to turn it on early before a gig and retuned before downbeat.

just thought it was interesting that the pitch slowly dips as it warms up!

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

On 4/5/2023 at 6:26 AM, KRK said:

When I bought my vintage Model D (about ten years ago), it was priced at a third of what someone would currently give me if I want to sell it now!

I think that's especially interesting since people were thinking the value of used Minimoogs would drop, after Moog introduced faithful reissues, and after Berhinger introduced a close true analog clone, since there would now be more (not so supply-constrained) ways to skin largely the same cat.

On 4/5/2023 at 11:44 AM, Radagast said:

Anyone else noticed how similar this is to the Behringer MonoPoly?  Very similar form factor, 4 VCOs, and paraphonic.  However the MonoPoly has two ADSR EGs.  Does anyone know if the electronics are different between the two?

Since these are true analog recreations (albeit with the Moog made poly), I think they'd have to be about as different electronically as the Minimoog and the Monopoly were from each other, which I suspect is pretty different. Even to whatever extent they share certain architectural features, even the value of a given resistor could yield a sonic change. It's not like a digital system where you can "program in" an emulation of one resistor value vs. another. In an analog system, a different resistor value means using a different resistor.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)