Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Electro 6 no modwheel and pitchbend

Hello guys,

When I bought my Nord Electro, I didn't think about the fact that not having a pitchbend and modwheel would be so bad.

I often use Keyscape or Omnisphere and not having these is really bad.

So I'm asking myself what should I do ?

I bought it from someone so I could resell it for a good price, but is there another way to have a pitch bend and modwheel ?

If not what could I buy instead ? I use softsynth and softkeyboard so I just need a good backup in case my computer crashes !

I want weigthed keys and something with ok piano and rhodes sound.

Thank you !! :)

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you"re getting the bulk of your sounds off the laptop you could use a Studio Logic Numa Organ 2. Or something like a Nektar Panorama P or T series controller. Many others to choose from.

For backup, have a second (older/cheaper) laptop or computer.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

If your getting the bulk of your sounds off the laptop you could use a Studio Logic Numa Organ 2. Or something like a Nektar Panorama P or T series controller. Many others to choose from.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I want weigthed keys and something with ok piano and rhodes sound. (if there is no easy solution for an eternal modwheel and pitch bend)

New video :

There is a simple modwheel and pitchbend app you can buy for a few bucks. No idea how compatible it is with the Electro, but the designers say they built it to address tour exact problem.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

There is a simple modwheel and pitchbend app you can buy for a few bucks. No idea how compatible it is with the Electro, but the designers say they built it to address tour exact problem.

Thank you ! I've been looking around for a few minutes and didn't find it. If you have the name of the app ?

New video :

I wonder if it is possible to have fc7 style foot pedals to control PB and Mod. You would need some way to get the pedal signal to the computer -

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Apps:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/modwheels/id519468137

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/weeel-pitch-mod-midi-utility/id979187573

Weighted keys with decent piano/Rhodes sounds, pitch and mod controls, Kurzweil SP1. It's cheap, light, and has clear panel space where you should be able to velcro a laptop/tablet and/or an auxiliary control surface. If you want a board with more MIDI controller functionality, you could look at Korg Kross 88, Casio PX-5S, Roland RD88.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I wonder if it is possible to have fc7 style foot pedals to control PB and Mod. You would need some way to get the pedal signal to the computer -

Adapters to attach pedals: https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

An FC7 style expression pedal can work well for modulation (if you have the foot to spare). For pitch bend, I'd prefer something that springs back, so I'd use a continuous damper pedal.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

How about a cheap 25 key controller with wheels? Like a novation impulse. Or cheaper. Anything will do. And you'll have the keys to run a moog lead patch or something.

With a nektar impact you can change midi channel from the front panel with the press of 2 buttons.

FunMachine.

I"ve seen people use a Korg nanoKONTROL for mod functions. Pitch bend might be trickier since that"s usually spring-loaded.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I used my Electro live mainly and didn't miss them due to the instruments I was using (electric piano, clav and organ mainly). I could certainly see missing them at home. I honestly don't use pitch wheel that much, mainly because I don't really do solos in my music. I've seen people use them to great effect though.

Pitch aside, I have a Korg nanokontrol that I could use for all kinds of control, including mod wheel providing I could map what the controller numbers it's using (on a given control) to CC#1. I also have an FC1 foot controller that I'm just starting to us. Bottom line, mod wheel I imagine just about any kind of controller will work if you can make sure it ends up mapping to CC1, pitch control might be more difficult.

That enJOY thing above looks cool. I've seen other controls, some of them pretty oddball...think outside the box, at least for home use!

Could a Lab4Music enJOY be a solution?
Thanks for the heads-up Guido, I hadn't heard of that thing. Shame it's only USB (device) MIDI not 5-pin - but it might be suitable for the OP's soft rig.

How about a cheap 25 key controller with wheels?
This would be my suggestion. Maybe get a 49 or 61 key controller, and run a two-tier rig with a bit more range on the unweighted tier.

Cheers, Mike.

One thing you might wanna look for in the manual is if the NE6 even takes PB and MW midi data. I've had an Electro 3 & 5 and both did not respond to it, IIRC.
Electro 5 and 6 can respond to pitch bend, but not mod wheel (which kind of makes sense in that the Electros don't contain the things that a mod wheel usually controls, like an LFO). Though the OP is looking for these controllers, not to control Electro sounds, but to send to Keyscape/Omnisphere.

We badly need a reissue of this killer tool from 1986: Yamaha MCS2. And this guy would be the guy to make one.

MCS3.jpg

Low profile, Real physical pitch and mod wheel, FC inputs and FS inputs, MIDI I/O, USB.

If it had a numeric keypad for program changes? :thu:

But with larger wheels that aren"t as plasticky, and move them to the bottom vs the top. Kind of clumsy to have to reach over the faders and screen to use the tiny wheels.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

We badly need a reissue of this killer tool from 1986: Yamaha MCS2. And this guy would be the guy to make one.

MCS3.jpg

Low profile, Real physical pitch and mod wheel, FC inputs and FS inputs, MIDI I/O, USB.

I had one, maybe 15 years ago; had several function issues though. Sold it cheap to a guy who could use it as-it, and possibly do minor repairs..

Since then have had a couple different slab pianos that could've benefitted from a device like this, especially with the updates mentioned. And I've posted here a couple times over the past ten years about this present unicorn. Had an SK-1, 73 for a while that could've used one. Along with a couple of other instruments, I was mystified by its lack of pitch/mod, despite having somewhat involved MIDI capabilities - as both controller and receiver. I'd still consider such a device for my FP-50.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

MCS3.jpg

A neat piece of gear but not USB-capable, unless the designers had access to Dr Brown's DeLorean.

A neat piece of gear but not USB-capable, unless the designers had access to Dr Brown's DeLorean.

Voila...

sku_11277_1.jpg

MCS3.jpg

I bought one second hand about thirty years ago and it still gets some use. As mentioned above, it pairs well with the Hammond SK if I want to travel light, but still bring a functional synth sound. The spring loaded wheels are actually quite useable. In terms of midi power, it is somewhat underpowered (does not address a number of the midi CCs), but sure helps to give a dp or organ some additional functions. There are a couple sliders, foot pedal inputs, wheels and and an input for my breath controller. It isn't everything, but it certainly has been a useful tool. I have heard people ask about keyboardless midi controllers that had wheels often enough that I wonder why some manufacturer has not come out with a modern, flexible, small version of a controller like this. I agree with the suggestion that the op could consider adding a small (25 keys?) controller to their rig. Rather than try to hunt down a piece of gear that was built in the 1980s, that's what I might do when the old, old Yamaha finally packs it in.

Ribbons have been a little unreliable for me. I have skin that seem to lack the proper capacitance at times so I touch the ribbon and no effect. Maybe I'm a zomby. And it's hard to do a flick like the r n b synth lead thing. Maybe others here have mastered that. Lately I've been using a roland with the 3 way stick. I didn't like it at first but now I do. You can do some wiggly stuff a wheel wont do as well.

FunMachine.

I meant if one was made today...

Got it. I'm a little slow these days. That's a pretty big "if" though, if you ask me!

Dexter â I'd definitely try the iPhone app before you replace the keyboard!