Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard for couch playing?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for a couch for keyboard playing. Ideally, it will have a built-in keyboard stand, snack bar, mini fridge, ash tray, music stand (or Ipad holder), trash can, and MP3 player for 'play-along'. Leather only, though (since only guys would buy one :) ). Actually, the keyboard could be optional.

chas

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

I don't. But ...

I think playing in front of the TV is not a replacement for focused practice, but can be useful.
I agree with this.

Stories about Jaco Pastorius, Jimi Hendrix, and SRV say that these guys pretty much strapped on an instrument and played it constantly, while cooking, talking on the phone, watching TV. I guess it didn't work out so well for them. For folks beginning on guitar, I always recommend they get a stand and keep the guitar on the stand near wherever they hang out, so that it gets the most possible use.

But I never bothered to try this with keyboards. Maybe that's why I'm better on keyboards than guitar! :laugh:

Sarcasm noted

Also note

The aforementioned gentlemen played ALL the time, a distinction your observation misses.

Had significantly more talent to begin with aka huge head start over many.

Your remark, is a half truth on a good day, good day.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• 6 years later...

Old thread but something I resolved for myself. Started out with a heavy fully weighted 88 keyboard in the Man Cave. Back hurt and my sinuses bothered me. Then I bought a key-tar, Roli block and then the KMI Qunexis but found them too limiting. Then I bought the CME Air 37 and built a stand out of a small folding On-Stage speaker stand that has a removal platform I Velcroed the keyboard to. I can either sit in a chair with a back and play it on the stand or remove the platform and sit it on my lap and play. I also mounted a stand for an ipad mini on the removal platform so I have everything I need and use earphones if my wife is home or watching TV in the same room. The CME is a controller with Bluetooth LE midi so it wirelessly connects to the ipad for sound. I also take on-line lessons which I can watch on the ipad and play at the same time.

Found that I am practicing all the time now. I do play other instruments but want to play the keyboard as it helps me memorize chords and scales. Don't intend to play keyboard in public but I do play sax and clarinet on a professional level. The CME has limited key action and I just ordered a KMI K-Board Pro 4 to give me 4 octaves with no key action at all. There is a video of lJ Rudess playing the CME Air 37 on his head. There are many that play key-tars so it is possible to play in most any position. According players have a wrist strap to keep their wrists in a somewhat consistent position and they play the keyboard in a vertical position. It is a matter of training your brain and muscle memory and keeping your instrument in a comfortable and consistent position not to damage your wrists.

I recently got an iRig 49. Overpriced for what you get in an absolute sense, but for me it fills a niche better than anything else I've seen.

4 octaves is goldilocks for couch playing. Allows you to get both hands fully involved, just barely. 5 octaves feels unwieldy on my lap. The iRig is about 4 lbs and super slim. The action is just middlin' but better than the really cheap stuff. Action is very quiet, so when I'm couching late at night I'm not making a clacking that can be heard throughout the house. Battery operation means one less cord to fuss with. Basically just connect to your ios device and play. Biggest gripe is only one pedal input so you have to choose between sustain and expression, though that matters less on the couch.

The iRig 49 is also great for travel.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64