Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Copyrighting songs - question(s)

My question at this point: 1) do I have to completely rescan my music documents to correct an extra page scanned ?

I'll be recording the songs to an mp3 audio file in the same sequence as the PDF.

I'm sure I'll have another question or three as I make progress.

My recent experiences...

I'm in the process of getting my submitted scanned PDF prepared to submit for copyright. I have 6 songs which I recopied (by hand on music score paper) with pages per song.

I notated every song, most with specific chord voicings and melodic rhythm notated. A couple with only a lyric, melody (notated) and chord symbols. While scanning one of the songs, I mistakenly scanned page 2 first - but then scanned page 1 and 2 correctly. This leaves an extra page in the PDF file.

I'll be recording one continuous mp3 audio file - playing the piano and singing the songs.

I still wish there were graphics-only software for notating music WITHOUT all the MIDI capabilities. This would allow me (or anyone else) to create and later edit these simple scores without recopying everything by hand - but without running into dead ends from violating notation rules and laws. Sometimes the notations are similar to cue cards. Sometimes only a simile melody, lyrics and chord names are needed. But sometimes a specific "hook" has been designed/composed - and would benefit from complete (bass and treble staff) notation with rhythm. I feel that there should be apps to accommodate both situations in the same notated score.

I may make a mock-up of what I'd like to see. Anyway.....

For anyone interested, a YT about copyrighting:

As always, thanks for insights and info

David

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a moderately priced app named Ashampoo PDF Pro 2 which allows editing PDF files, including removing pages from existing files. Might be of help if you need the PDF file to all be in order.

I use it for scanned pages (hymnbook usually) to produce files to import into OnSong. Allows all sorts of maniuplation.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

There is a moderately priced app named Ashampoo PDF Pro 2 which allows editing PDF files, including removing pages from existing files. Might be of help if you need the PDF file to all be in order.

I use it for scanned pages (hymnbook usually) to produce files to import into OnSong. Allows all sorts of maniuplation.

Thanks MBKeys for your information. I just now purchased Ashampoo PDF Pro 2, and successfully deleted the extra page. In my searching and researching based on your advice, I also learned there is a "Paperlike" screen protector for the iPad. I'm going to order one and give another try to editing PDF files for music notation purposes. Possibly the Goodnotes app may have some promise.

Thanks again.

Ooops, I am too late here!!!

PDF files are not even close to being as "bulletproof" as people think they are. You can copy and paste text from a PDF to a Word file (or Open Office or any recipient for text).

Simple, free solution would be to copy the text page by page that you want and paste it into the Word file, then save that file as the final PDF.

While in Word, you can fully edit all of the text before exporting as PDF. Working in graphic design I used to "break" PDF files all the time so I could get the client what they needed.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I nervously installed a sheet of Paperlike on my iPad Pro today. I'm hoping this makes the iPad a decent paper-substitute.

But, regarding the Copyrighting process. I'm getting myself motivated to record the 6 songs for the application submission . I'll record them in the same sequence as the scanned sheet music of course. But as for recording them for (what I figure is only) illustration purposes, I'll only need to run thru from beginning to end...no consideration for an arrangement with repeated sections right ?

I nervously installed a sheet of Paperlike on my iPad Pro today. I'm hoping this makes the iPad a decent paper-substitute.

But, regarding the Copyrighting process. I'm getting myself motivated to record the 6 songs for the application submission . I'll record them in the same sequence as the scanned sheet music of course. But as for recording them for (what I figure is only) illustration purposes, I'll only need to run thru from beginning to end...no consideration for an arrangement with repeated sections right ?

Yes, if you have an identical chorus after every verse the first iteration should be performed. Then the chorus will be copyrighted.

For that matter you should be able to do that with the lyric-chord sheet too although it is not a problem if they are included. The file size will remain tiny.

Audio files can get large quickly, keeping them compact but complete just saves time on the upload while accomplishing your goals. Which is why I recommended uploading a mono track, same music, much smaller file.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Well. I've recorded the 6 songs as mp3's. And converted them to mono. The 6 songs are around 9 minutes. The mono mp3 file is 8,748 KB and the PDF of the notated sheet music is 10,140 KB. I will watch the tutorial a couple of times before attempting the online submission.

Thanks for the tips and advice. After this my next efforts will be toward recording with arrangements and such. I will start a thread with that topic - and of course questions.